IGNORED

The Official Fulham v Bristol City Match Day Thread

2 hours ago, samo II said:

Is the 3rd repeated match up Dundee United against Morton?  Think it is a switch from home to away for Morton, but otherwise they play again (league cup in the week; Scottish Championship this weekend).

It may very well be.. I will await further input.. you notice the scoreline of that match I take? .. another 2-1.

Edited by havanatopia
7 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone

Deja vu? feels a little like it this morning seeing the fixtures and in more ways than concern City, consider this; Earlier this week there were three football matches that are being repeated across this weekend. From a league cup fixture to a league fixture. City 1 v 2 Fulham was one, Swansea 1 v 2 Man City is the second. Can anybody tell me the third? City of course beat Fulham at Craven Cottage by the same scoreline in March of this year in what proved to be a major step toward our safety and pushed Fulham closer to the drop zone which they, like us, of course comfortably avoided come May. Here is the match day thread for that day:-

I have a sense that a drawn match today might not be sufficient to keep City, just, in the top half of the table. We have enjoyed rather decent returns in recent times at Craven Cottage although overall we are still very much in negative territory with Fulham; In all competitions our record is W19, D13, L24 and our relatively modest but greatest victory over Fulham at their Thameside home is 0-3 on November 8th, 1986. a few months earlier we had been triumphant over Bolton Wanderers in the old Freight Rover Trophy. I recall that game vividly not least because it was my first ever visit to the old Wembley stadium. I have generally found it is remarkably difficult to find accurate player statistics from matches before 1990 and this one appears no different but the one against Fulham might have looked like this:-

Keith Waugh, Keith Curle, John MacPhail, David Moyes, Rob Newman, Brian Williams, Kenny Hibbitt (I cannot for the life of me recall him ever playing for us but his name is there - surely more like Riley or Neville?), Alan Walsh, Joe Jordan and Trevor Morgan. Terry Cooper presiding of course. Rob Newman was our player of the year that season, as we went on to finish 6th, and what a player he developed into from those early days in Division 4 as a spindly lanky teenager. 6th, alas, did not result in promotion, we had to wait until 1990 for that.

That fixture against Fulham was a third division one but only 4,500 turned up; a rather poor attendance. Talking of poor and returning to the subject of statistical archives I find it quite remarkable, bordering on negligent, that our very own club have a page on the official web site that looks like this:-

Screenshot 2016-09-24 10.48.13.png

I know we do not have a particularly illustrious history but that is very very poor.

So what is the likelihood of a repeat of March 12th and September 24th? Can we even reach the heights of November 6th, 1983? It will be a mighty fine thing if we do and a moaning morass of Fulham fans will pour out of Craven Cottage at ten to five this evening alongside quite a few jubilant Reds. Rather too close to call this one although I did pretty well in March. Will Matt Smith or Ryan Fredericks have any say in the matter? Is the latter even still at Fulham?

And finally, Fulham boss Jokanovic has a rather brutal and unorthodox method for expressing his disdain for their mid week performance..

http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/watch-as-the-fulham-boss-smashes-ball-straight-into-the-face-of-an-unsuspecting-player/88034

Screenshot 2016-09-24 11.05.09.png

Big hats off to all of those attending today's game. Will it be over 2,000? Regardless, the support is truly remarkable. I think it might just be yet another 1-2. 

UTC.

Condensed Version

Fulham:

Apparently someone is playing called Dave Javu.

2-1 to City

• Like 2

our relatively modest but greatest victory over Fulham at their Thameside home is 0-3 on November 8th, 1986. a few months earlier we had been triumphant over Bolton Wanderers in the old Freight Rover Trophy. I recall that game vividly not least because it was my first ever visit to the old Wembley stadium. I have generally found it is remarkably difficult to find accurate player statistics from matches before 1990 and this one appears no different but the one against Fulham might have looked like this:-

Keith Waugh, Keith Curle, John MacPhail, David Moyes, Rob Newman, Brian Williams, Kenny Hibbitt (I cannot for the life of me recall him ever playing for us but his name is there - surely more like Riley or Neville?), Alan Walsh, Joe Jordan and Trevor Morgan. Terry Cooper presiding of course.

No chance, Kenny Hibbitt played for Rovers, and the b***** scored that freak late long shot at AG.  A year after Gary Smart did exactly the same iirc.

Perhaps the Kenny was Kenny Stroud? But pretty sure he'd left by then?

Otherwise, apart from Riley and Neville, take your pick from Gary Marshall,  Andy Llewellyn, Paul Fitzpatrick, Micky Tanner, Gordon Owen and Steve Galliers, who would all have been available for selection in Nov. 86.

• Like 1

but the one against Fulham might have looked like this:-

Keith Waugh, Keith Curle, John MacPhail, David Moyes, Rob Newman, Brian Williams, Kenny Hibbitt (I cannot for the life of me recall him ever playing for us but his name is there - surely more like Riley or Neville?), Alan Walsh, Joe Jordan and Trevor Morgan.

Waugh , Newman, B.Williams, Moyes , McPhail , Riley , Hamson , Hutchinson , Harle , Walsh , Neville.  ........... Neville got 2 and Walsh pen. according to my book Didn't go to this one , don't know why as I went most games around that time. All I can remember from Craven cottage trips are draws and losses , until lastt year 

Hibbit didn't play for us , hated that bloke even before he played for 'them' ! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Waugh , Newman, B.Williams, Moyes , McPhail , Riley , Hamson , Hutchinson , Harle , Walsh , Neville.  ........... Neville got 2 and Walsh pen. according to my book Didn't go to this one , don't know why as I went most games around that time. All I can remember from Craven cottage trips are draws and losses , until lastt year 

Hibbit didn't play for us , hated that bloke even before he played for 'them' ! 

If Harle and Hamson were playing this must have been before the first Freight Rover appearance, not after as indicated by Havana in the OP.

If that's right scratch my list above and add in Bobby Hutch. and Howard Pritchard.

In fact, wasn't the Wembley win over Bolton Bobby Hutchinson's last game for City?

8 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If Harle and Hamson were playing this must have been before the first Freight Rover appearance, not after as indicated by Havana in the OP.

If that's right scratch my list above and add in Bobby Hutch. and Howard Pritchard.

In fact, wasn't the Wembley win over Bolton Bobby Hutchinson's last game for City?

Yep , a week or two before Wembley. As far as I can see Bobby Hutch left in the following Jan. I wish I could recall things without resorting to books, but age and alchol has really taken it's toll :sad26:

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Yep , a week or two before Wembley. As far as I can see Bobby Hutch left in the following Jan. I wish I could recall things without resorting to books, but age and alchol has really taken it's toll :sad26:

I know Bobby Hutch. went to Walsall in '86.

Not sure exactly when in '86, but I've just had a look at BCFC - The First 100 Years, and he's not in the squad photo for 86/87.

Can't think the trophy winning Captain of a few months earlier wouldn't be included if he was still at AG.

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I know Bobby Hutch. went to Walsall in '86.

Not sure exactly when in '86, but I've just had a look at BCFC - The First 100 Years, and he's not in the squad photo for 86/87.

Can't think the trophy winning Captain of a few months earlier wouldn't be included if he was still at AG.

My game by game book ends that year, he isn't listed as playing after a 2-0 defeat at Rotherham in Jan 87. 

Looks like we came into some money just after, Trevor morgan, Jordan and Steve Galliers came in just after , with Micky Tanner getting a run as well.

22 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

My game by game book ends that year, he isn't listed as playing after a 2-0 defeat at Rotherham in Jan 87. 

Looks like we came into some money just after, Trevor morgan, Jordan and Steve Galliers came in just after , with Micky Tanner getting a run as well.

Just had a look at City 100, and you're right.

Signed July '84 from Tranmere, sold to Walsall (10K.) in Feb. '87.

Strange he wasn't in the official 86 -87 squad photo, although it seems very likely it was taken nearer the end of the season because the likes of Owen, Big Joe and Fitzpatrick are included, as well as Tanner and Galliers.

• Like 1