IGNORED

Song for Team entrance

Fiale

I saw on the Stadium Questions forum that someone asked we play Ole Ole Ole Bristol City when the team come onto the pitch. Whilst I agree our current choice is rather boring and fails to engage the crowd, i think Ole Ole Ole is a pretty boring generic song and not exactly unique to us...  what would you like to see us come out to that we can make as ours, and also will get the crowd singing ?

Personally, I have always thought that the loudest the crowd get and join in with the most is "Drink up thy cider" and it is OURs and unique, think the teams coming out to this would be great and would probably totally drown out the away fans as well as state our intentions to win...

So what would you choose ?

Be nice to have something loud and raucous - do Swansea still run out to White Riot?

I`ve always wanted to track down a punk/metal version of The Impossible Dream. The lyrics are perfect but it`s just so slow - even the Carter USM version is a bit of a dirge, unusually for them.

Ready To Go was good when it was new - I remember THAT game at Sunderland when you had a couple of minutes of `March Of The Capulets` from Romeo and Juliet and then it just segued into RTG as the teams ran out and it was awesome.

The biggest problem nowadays is all the guff that happens after the teams are on the pitch, the handshaking and stuff, and anything you play will have lost it`s impact by the time they actually kick off.

The club have never played our "anthem" as the players come out - "Drink up thee cider" because in their eyes it mentions alcohol......I can't see a problem with "One for the Bristol City" as the entrance music. It's unique to us.

Personally I always liked "Liquidator" as the run ot music but usually they play it a few mins before hand.

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The club have never played our "anthem" as the players come out - "Drink up thee cider" because in their eyes it mentions alcohol......I can't see a problem with "One for the Bristol City" as the entrance music. It's unique to us.

Personally I always liked "Liquidator" as the run ot music but usually they play it a few mins before hand.

The play "drink up ther cider" at pretty much every home game. 

Not as the teams enter the field but just before and usually after the game too. 

57 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Personally I always liked "Liquidator" as the run ot music but usually they play it a few mins before

Trouble is, Robbored, other teams play that.  We never played it until a visit to Molineux in the early 90s. Wolves ran out to it and the City players were so impressed that we had to follow suit the following week.

Ever since the 70s, we've had the Wurzels after a match. If we win it's the Anthem Of The West (As Adge called it) but any other result it's Blackbird.

If our unofficial name is Cider Army then why not play a Wurzels track prior to kick off as well?

One reason I like Liquidator is it was the music City ran out to back in the 70s but for some unknown reason that changed.

I know other clubs use it so why not a Wurzels song?

"Blackbird" or "one for the Bristol City" would be very unique to our club.

Maybe the SC&T could do a vote on it but with a shortlist of 5 options.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Robbored, I have to correct you on that.

The fact alcohol is mentioned DOES NOT effect when or where the song is played at all. Complete nonsense! 

We do in fact play it just before the players come out on many occasions. The reason we dont play it as the players walk out is because we only have about 30 seconds to play the song before I read the teams out. Drink up thy cider is a great song and we like to play it in full. There just isnt enough time to play it in that particular moment.

1 minute ago, Tim S said:

The fact alcohol is mentioned DOES NOT effect when or where the song is played at all. Complete nonsense! 

We do in fact play it just before the players come out on many occasions. The reason we dont play it as the players walk out is because we only have about 30 seconds to play the song before I read the teams out. Drink up thy cider is a great song and we like to play it in full. There just isnt enough time to play it in that particular moment.

I was misinformed then Tim. I was told by a club official that that was the reason - sometime ago I have to say.

Why not play a Wurzels song? "One for the Bristol City" or "Blackbird"? Both unique to our club and the West Country. Either would suit perfectly in my view.

30 seconds is all you need.

10 minutes ago, Tim S said:

Not sure if many (any) others agree with me here @Tim S but is there any possibility of changing from One for the Bristol City when the team walks out?

To me, it's rubbish. I've never liked it. Poor cheesy lyrics, hardly rousing before a game.. it sounds like a song that a team would make before a Wembley final in the 80s rather than an anthem fans know and are proud of. No one sings along to it either. That's just my view but I think it's totally naff and sounds tired. 

I appreciate the tradition and that it's been played for years.. would be good to keep it (or a section) as part of the playlist in the build up but try something else for when the teams walk out. Anyone else agree or am I on my own here?

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I was misinformed then Tim. I was told by a club official that that was the reason - sometime ago I have to say.

Why not play a Wurzels song? "One for the Bristol City" or "Blackbird"? Both unique to our club and the West Country. Either would suit perfectly in my view.

30 seconds is all you need.

No problem :-) Im sure it was probably long before my time then as I think its a great tune, West Country through and through. I'll stop short of saying its exclusive to Bristol City though because I know Bristol Rugby use it and I know Yeovil Town use Wurzels tunes loads too, so it might even have been heard at Huish Park in the past.

As for One For the Bristol City, we do play it as the players walk out - that is the 30 second track I was referring too.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not sure if many (any) others agree with me here @Tim S but is there any possibility of changing from One for the Bristol City when the team walks out?

To me, it's rubbish. I've never liked it. Poor cheesy lyrics, hardly rousing before a game.. it sounds like a song that a team would make before a Wembley final in the 80s rather than an anthem fans know and are proud of. No one sings along to it either. That's just my view but I think it's totally naff and sounds tired. 

I appreciate the tradition and that it's been played for years.. would be good to keep it (or a section) as part of the playlist in the build up but try something else for when the teams walk out. Anyone else agree or am I on my own here?

As it stands there are no plans to change it. Sorry if you arent a fan of it but many are and also its only 30 seconds of it! 

Always open to suggestions though.... but it would take something special! 

4 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

Ole ole ole ole Bristol City, for me.

Ever since I was young we've sang it and it still gives me goosebumps.

I don't buy all this 'unique to us' cobblers.

Very few songs/chants are solely unique to any club.

Funnily enough it is kind of unique to us. We have an upward inclination in the 'city' part that I've not heard anywhere else at all. It's usually sung with the last two syllables (the City part) going down. In that respect I think it's totally unique to us. 

In fact I can't think of any other teams in the country that sing that song, or if they do with the same frequency as us. 

4 minutes ago, Tim S said:

As it stands there are no plans to change it. Sorry if you arent a fan of it but many are and also its only 30 seconds of it! 

Always open to suggestions though.... but it would take something special! 

It was more to gauge opinion, but is there any evidence to suggest that many people are fans? I just don't think it generates much feeling at all, people seem neutral about it - indicated by the fact that it's literally never sung at games. Hardly YNWA or Blowing Bubbles. A minor thing and a matter of opinion, but I dispute that many people like it.. most seem neutral about it and only want to keep it due to tradition.

1 minute ago, Bullbag said:

Agree with you there.

The only team i've heard singing it is Palace, ole ole ole ole eagles, eagles.

Think it sounds great hearing them sing it just like I think it sounds awesome when we sing it.

What I like is that we sing it often, several times a match. Despite it being simple, I think it's a great chant.

11 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

Ole ole ole ole Bristol City, for me.

Ever since I was young we've sang it and it still gives me goosebumps.

I don't buy all this 'unique to us' cobblers.

Very few songs/chants are solely unique to any club.

ole ole ole is the most generic piece of crap sang on (and in) any terrace in the world.....   just sayin...

7 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Midnight rockers
City slickers
Gunmen and maniacs
All will feature on the freak show
And I can't do nothing 'bout that, no
But if you hurt what's mine
I'll sure as hell retaliate

Exactly the tune I was thinking reading this. Would be perfect imho what with Robert Del Naja being a big City fan as well. 

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It was more to gauge opinion, but is there any evidence to suggest that many people are fans? I just don't think it generates much feeling at all, people seem neutral about it - indicated by the fact that it's literally never sung at games. Hardly YNWA or Blowing Bubbles. A minor thing and a matter of opinion, but I dispute that many people like it.. most seem neutral about it and only want to keep it due to tradition.

I like it, if you are canvassing opinions. 

It's a keeper for me. 

Archived