IGNORED

question about john atyeo

Never to the dark side

3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

the picture with john atyeo with his arms in the air which the statue is based on

any idea of the game big john scored in?

Goal-celebration-2-547x300.jpg

Hi Dark Side.The kit he's wearing could even place the celebration as far back as his debut season 51-52. The picture is of a very young John Atyeo. So that picture could conceivably be after either his first or second ever goals for City, when we won 3-nil against Newport County at Ashton Gate in the 51-52 season in his debut game. Why not contact the sculptor Tom Murphy, who would have got the picture from the Supporters club.

I've found all the photos posted above but am looking for the original full size photo because it has other players in the background, and hope to identify the away team to help NTTDS with his question.

It's the middle photo of the 3 pic montage that is needed. John Watkins is the City player behind John. And the goal he is celebrating went in at the Covered End.

John Watkins made his debut on 24/11/1956 so it is after that date until end of 57-58 season when collars were dropped for "V" neck.

16 minutes ago, pearlstreetrob said:

Try Tom Hopegood's book, John Atyeo , The Hero Next Door. The picture is in their & I think has a caption that should help.

Unfortunately it isn't. I'v found a full length version of the photo that the statue is based on but appears to have the width cropped compared with the one I saw several years ago.

The picture shows a very good attendance with the "Boys Enclosure" in front of the Cowshed as full, a good condition pitch so possibly not in 1956-57 as Watkins did not play until end of November.

B6k-bh9IUAAmvy7.jpg

So I suspect it could have been versus Rovers on 12 October 1957 with 33,465 there. Atyeo got 2, George Walker the other in a 3-2 win.

If I'm right about the season, he also scored goals at home, early season, against Stoke C, Grimsby, Doncaster and Notts County. But the fullness of the crowd, the shadow of his head is an afternoon k-o so that rules out Stoke, leads me to plump for the Rovers match.

Does that help you NTTDS? 

Just a bit of odd historical fact that I spotted in my David Woods book. City played at Anfield last match of season 56-57 losing 1-2 in front of 15,108. Yes fifteen thousand only. First match of 57-58 at home to Liverpool, lost 1-2 again with gate of 28,191. 

51 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think it's the game against the Gas too in 1957.

How times have changed...the following year...look how many Gas fans are in the East End celebrating when the Gas score at the end. 40 odd thousand there...

That last goal definitely looked offside.

11 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

B6k-bh9IUAAmvy7.jpg

I would like to think he is celebrating his first hatrick against swindon town in the 1953-4 season but he is probably not it is probably the game against rovers in 57. Looking at the player behind Atyeo he is wearing 3 white bands on this socks, but from the picture I can't tell how many Atyeo has if you compare with the kits below. 

I got a problem with the images so check this link instead for season 1949 - 1958

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bristol_City/Bristol_City.htm

bristol city fc 1949-50

1949-1950 p

bristol_city_1951-1952-f.gif

1951-1953 f p

bristol_city_1952-1954.gif

1953-1954 a

bristol_city_1954-1955.gif

1954-1955 a

bristol_city_1955-1957.gif

1955-1957 a p

buy vintage football shirts at toffs

bristol city 1956-57

1956-1957 alt p

1955-57 kit usually used

bristol city fc 1957-58

1957-1958 s

buy vintage football shirts at toffs

bristol_city_1957-1958.gif

1957-1958 a

On 26/09/2016 at 16:18, Sleepy1968 said:

That last goal definitely looked offside.

It was. I was in the Boy's Enclosure, in front of the Cowshed, and he was about a yard offside.

The day the Atyeo stand was officially opened, the only non City past player invited was Geoff Bradford. In the Supporters club he walked past me carrying two halves of beer. I said to him "Yes you were" and he replied with a big smile "Oh no I wasn't because the goal was allowed and we won." 

21 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Nice statue but it's very small to be sited outside Ashton Gate,

Joke

JOKING ASIDE.:::

Your post got me thinking, I reckon a limited edition of miniature bronze/resin versions of the Atyeo statue would prove popular and sell well among collectors.

A cheaper version would surely sell well too among supporters if available from the club shop, the iconic statue is likely to become 'Ashton gate' in peoples minds... likewise are there any plans to make miniature replica LansdownStands / or Ashton Gate Stadiums?

• Admin
1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

JOKING ASIDE.:::

Your post got me thinking, I reckon a limited edition of miniature bronze/resin versions of the Atyeo statue would prove popular and sell well among collectors.

A cheaper version would surely sell well too among supporters if available from the club shop, the iconic statue is likely to become 'Ashton gate' in peoples minds... likewise are there any plans to make miniature replica LansdownStands / or Ashton Gate Stadiums?

Good idea

Any plans for this @Blagdon red

im one of the dwindling ones that saw him play when i was a kid.

over the years i looked out for him every time i drove through warminster without ever seeing him.

many years later i was with the wife and kids in a car park in frome  when who do i see about to get in a car but big john and his wife. i stood gobsmacked like a kid in a sweet shop.

i so regret not going up to him as he had been a hero of mine for so many years, i was totally star struck.

i stood and watched him drive away.

sadly he died a few weeks later.

When the City book The Bristol Babe came out in late 1994, I told my Mum and Dad that it was top of my Christmas list! Whilst they were out Christmas shopping in Bath, they did indeed buy me a copy in WH Smith's. Whilst they were looking at the book the security guard approached them, saying how as a kid at school he got the cane for bunking off to watch John Atyeo play. My Dad, a regular on the East End, or Shed as he always refers to it, in the 50's and 60's asked him if it was worth it? Without hesitation the security guard said, "oh yes". Probably not relevant to this topic, but one of my favourite Atyeo stories.

The highlights for me as a City attendee for over 65 years are the wonderful goals Atyeo scored, his cartwheel celebrations back to the halfway line, and the shout from the fans of 'give it to John'.  It is said we are given memories so as we may have roses in December.  I have a whole bunch of roses just thinking of Gentleman John.  The greatest player I am ever likely to see wearing the City red.

Archived