IGNORED

question about john atyeo

Never to the dark side

Around 1965 or 66, my mum took me to the old Lewis's department store in Broadmead where, it had been announced in the Evening Post, John Atyeo would be on what today we call a "meet and greet". Armed with my scrapbooks, I shyly met and shook hands with the great man (whom, I remember was equally shy and retiring) and got his autograph. Our meeting was photographed by an Evening Post photographer, although I never saw it published in the paper. I suppose that it may have been. I guess that I should search the archive?

Much to my eternal chagrin, years later and unbeknown to me, my dad gave away my scrapbooks to a bloke at the pub to give to his kid. With my Atyeo autographs went ones of Alan Ball (obtained when he was still at Blackpool), Jimmy Greaves and many others. I'm gutted at having no evidence of the event but proud of having met the legend who was our greatest ever player.

It's a pity I did not see this thread originally - as the board member who carried through the Atyeo Statue project.

The statue is based on John's celebration of one of his two goals in the 5-3 league win at Ashton Gate v Bristol Rovers on September 22nd 1956.

The Rovers players are keeper Howard Radford and the legendary Harry Bamford.

On 30/09/2016 at 11:19, WhistleHappy said:

JOKING ASIDE.:::

Your post got me thinking, I reckon a limited edition of miniature bronze/resin versions of the Atyeo statue would prove popular and sell well among collectors.

A cheaper version would surely sell well too among supporters if available from the club shop, the iconic statue is likely to become 'Ashton gate' in peoples minds... likewise are there any plans to make miniature replica LansdownStands / or Ashton Gate Stadiums?

Also suggested this at the time and got no response at all. Would definitely be intrigued at £20 or something

15 hours ago, Blagdon Mike said:

It's a pity I did not see this thread originally - as the board member who carried through the Atyeo Statue project.

The statue is based on John's celebration of one of his two goals in the 5-3 league win at Ashton Gate v Bristol Rovers on September 22nd 1956.

The Rovers players are keeper Howard Radford and the legendary Harry Bamford.

Thanks Mike for the confirmation. I was at the game in the Boys enclosure behind Atyeo and as stated earlier in the thread, the City player in the background is Johnny Watkins. Rovers had two legends, for me at least, Geoff Bradford and Harry Bamford. I was given coaching at Monks Park School by Harry via the Eagle Comic. It was done on six Monday evenings in April/May about six months before his death.

At one session, Harry said "No coaching next week because of the Gloucester Cup Final". He said that anyone in the group who wanted to go, should meet him before the game outside players entrance, and he gave us all complimentary tickets. A wonderfully kind man who died far too young. 

Archived