IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Leeds United Match Day Thread

5 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

Was it the Battle of Stamford Bridge? @havanatopia

Was what? That was in 1066 and we put the Norweirdjuns to the sword only to be trounced by the Normans a few months later in Hastings. 1-1.... Beating the Welsh tonight though... 2-1.

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Me too.

It was on a week day afternoon as I recall, or am I going mad??

My main memory however is deciding that I don't like Bovril.

Trying to remember back 42 years;- you are excused for not remembering.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, but the 3 day week ( & half term) meant 47,000+ could get to Elland Road on a midweek afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_x2xcJ32i8

If you left early; the reduced speed limit was a right pain.

1 hour ago, Chris_Brown said:

I don't know why my reply doesn't show, I was trying to quote a section of your post without forcing others to scroll the whole screen for a second time. 

My suggestion was of Magnusson being our tenuous Italian collection through his transfer from Juve.

Good one Chris. 

3 hours ago, Atyeo's lift said:

Yes, I was there too. Same thing happened - I was jumping up and down and no-one else moved around me. What made it better was I'd just moved up to Yorkshire for work and lived ten miles outside Leeds - really easy to get there.

Remember our win featuring as one of the first news headlines that night (when BBC national news was on at 9pm) and the national press the next day being full of great headlines - none of which I can now remember!

8 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

For those who recall the murmurings of Welshness that I briefly explored around the old settlement of Loidis, previously considered the capital of Elmet or, in Welsh, Elfed , might be pleased I have decided to re-visit this, shall we say, odd curiosity of our history. For everyone else, my apologies for the waffle that is about to begin.

According to a genetic study published in Nature (19 Mar 2015) the local population of West Yorkshire is genetically distinct from the rest of the population of Yorkshire, and indeed the rest of England, suggesting that families in West Yorkshire who have been in the area for many generations are descendants of the original Elmetsæte or Forest of Elmet as history has oft referred to.

But before we all go ooooh look the people from Leeds are all taffies we need to go back to 410 AD to understand really what happened. Only then can we eat a subtantial amount of home made pie and go... ooooh look, we are all taffies.. what a shocking revelation. Allow me to explain, not to pontificate as that would be very Roman and, in 410 AD they were no more in these Islands. So they left, leaving Britain as a self governing bunch of rag bag kingdoms of which the lands loosely agglomerated as 'Welsh' was by far the largest. Take a look at this map:-

Britain_in_AD500_-_Project_Gutenberg_eText_16790.jpg

Pretty unequivocal. One of the reasons the Romans scarpered was because of the barbaric Angles and Saxons who later became the English whom, descending from lands they had conquered in Northumberland and southern Scotland, attacked the Welsh at the Battle of Chester in 616. King Ethelfrith being the Anglian victor over the Welsh speaking Selyf ap Cynan or King of Powys. The Britons were therefore defeated by the Anglo Saxon descendants from Germanic, Danish and Dutch lands. Interesting to remind ourselves that the hitherto kingdoms that today make up Scotland and Wales were British and yet, especially in the case of the Scots, they tend to shout the loudest about not being Brits. Is that the proverbial irony? 

The Battle of Chester cut the final link that the Welsh kingdom had with the north or 'Old Lands' that extended into Southern Scotland and otherwise called Hen Ogled. In the southern part of these lands that included Rheged, Strathclyde, Elmet and Gododdin Brythonic or Briton was spoken as well as Old Welsh. The lands of Hen Ogled, Wales and Cornwall were the dominant lands that made up the Kingdom of Britain. Northern Scotland was for the Picts and only the western fringes of Scotland were Gaelic in origin. To the curious eye that explains why the Southern Scots tend to be a lot more vociferous about independence; its an Irish conspiracy I tell you with the British wanting to get their own back on the English.. what an inglorious bunch of barstards we are.

Which brings me to Massimo Cellino and nothing to do with his 44th manager in 24 years although as an aside; Gary Monk's ancestors came to these shores after the Norman conquests and the Battle of Hastings of 1066. He is a relative newcomer. Cellino, on the other hand, goes back a lot further than that. Beyond even the Angles and the Saxons. A Roman conqueror no less. However, I shall refrain from exploring that here, just now, and wait for another day until I dig more earth into the subject and ensure my current smattering of knowledge is converted into relative facts. For now we simply know the modern day football club owner as "direttore mangiatore" or the gaffer eater. 

Three wins on the bounce for Leeds so can they make it 4? or have they met their Waterloo? Interestingly the Kingdom of Sardinia, from where Cellino hails, is an island that frequently went to war as a British ally against the Kingdom of Naples and Napoleonic Italy in the early 1800's. So perhaps we should consider his more modern ancestry more than his ancient and a be a little kinder on the day, assuming he fancies coming all the way from Sardinia or Leeds to Bristol to watch a game of football.

There were three 'Coalition Wars' where Sardinia sided with the UK and we won 2 of them.. so I am going for superstition and a City win tonight by 2 goals to 1 and somehow there will be an Italian connection to one of our goals. I am still trying to figure that out.

Are we going to see our highest crowd of the season? it is important we keep above the 20k average. Enjoy the match today or rather this evening and roar us on up the table and send Cellino, Monk and co back to whence they came with their tails between their legs.

UTC.

My take on this history lesson is that it's a bit weird to hark back to 500 AD (or CE).

its obviously more relevant to look at the 9th century after the Vikings invaded. That was when the North South divide started in England in my view. I think the difference in accents etc all dates back to the Wessex / Danelaw split.

So I regard all these games as Wessex v Danelaw. Dragging the Welsh into it! I hope you're feeling a bit sheepish.

10 minutes ago, cynic said:

Thought he might select O'neil but having won 4-0 it probably makes sense to give 'em all another go.

Gutted having to miss this one, I really hate listening to the crappy commentary.

Doesn't it show how far we've come, debating team selection after winning 4-0!

Pleased that Freeman is starting , said on another thread not sure would have helped his confidence if didn't start today 

Strong attacking line up and reassuring back up on the bench even without Korey and Ekstrand in the 18.

Bit surprised O'Neil hasn't returned - midfield more than came good in the 2nd half at Fulham, but some reports saying we definitely missed him in the 1st.

Still, he's ready to come on if necessary.

Come on City, no messing about, no quarter given - get out there and pulverize Leeds. :city:

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, cynic said:

Thought he might select O'neil but having won 4-0 it probably makes sense to give 'em all another go.

Gutted having to miss this one, I really hate listening to the crappy commentary.

RB said O'Neil was on a drip at the weekend, as his bug was that bad,  so that's why he's only on the bench tonight.

2 minutes ago, Kim_il_sung said:

Theres one sure way to ensure that we win tonight - concede the first goal! :D

We've gained 8 of our 13 points this season from losing positions!

Hope that is not LJ's team talk prior to kick off though!