IGNORED

Another fantastic performance - now with added grit!

Olé

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Two decent points here, one today (and it's a decent reality check for us all), but just as pertinently, one last year from Spud.

This time last year if we had tired players we didn't have the depth or quality to rest people without seriously damaging the team. We do now, and as has been said, when the heavy pitches come that could be vital 

Point being we were in approx. same position this time last year and even the same comments were being made; re Reid, Bryn, Pack, Flint even Pato (see red highlights on ole`s post) the next 10 or so games and the run up to xmas, will tell us, if we do indeed have more strength in depth.

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 22:59, Olé said:

Although we were under a lot more pressure down the wings I thought we picked up where we left off on Saturday against a much better and fitter team. We are getting better every game.

At times today it was the same slick one touch passing of the weekend. Tomlin was masterful, did what he wants whenever he had the ball and has really hit his form. Paterson continues to look one of the biggest ever steals in the transfer market, and Bobby Reid was a bundle of energy again. Freeman is getting more and more tricky for opponents to play (such a shame he did a Bas Savage through on goal) and Pack ran the midfield. Solid and all very very good on the ball.

Hardest game for Abraham as we got pushed back a lot as a unit and he was really isolated and had little to work with, but yet again gave his all and is a positive influence on the pitch. Got to marvel at his maturity putting an arm round Tomlin after he lost his temper.

Little to criticise apart from a few more loose touches than Saturday but you can understand given the shift the players had to put in today against a much fitter team. Flint is bang back in form and to be honest it was probably Magnússon's worst game for us (few shanked passes) but only by his very high standards, and he made amends elsewhere.

Fulham on Saturday was as good as it gets but today was probably what the manager really is thrilled to see, a really gritty all encompassing performance that had both the slick ball movement going forward from Saturday but also a very resilient display of defending and self-belief.

Confidence continues to grow. Word for the ref, didn't see the Pack challenge for the goal but thought he gave most things Leeds way (free kicks for nothing) so don't know why Monk and their fans were so upset about it. And their nut job centre back hammering the ball into Raynes Road needs his head looking at. No surprise he was taken off at half time.

In the end it was two good teams but we were the better one. Shout out to Adam Baker for telling Monk where to go (and sit).

Fielding 7

Little 7 (Moore 6)

Bryan 6

Flint 8

Magnússon 6

Pack 8

Reid 8

Freeman 8

Paterson 9

Tomlin 9 (O'Neil 6)

Abraham 6 (Wilbraham 6)

Was the red highlighted bit not a reflection on our recent Norwich game? this season, so far,  seems the same as last, apart of course from "the masterful Tomlin"  and "the tricky Freeman" :shifty:

42 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

There's a massive difference between this season and last season. We have a much better squad, a solid defence, a style of play and formation that we stick to. Team spirit seems better, Johnson has now got his staff in, the players are much better after last seasons experience. We got found out last season away to Cardiff. And it seemed every team then knew how to beat us. I can't see that happening this season.

This season teams know how to beat us but can't.

A big thing I've noticed this season is the players showing for the pass , even when under pressure , and using the ball well . 

5 hours ago, RedM said:

Without looking back I can't remember where it all went wrong? Maybe after Hull dumped us out if the cup, so I'm approaching the Crystal Palace game with caution. Of course at the time we didn't know it would turn into one loss after another and go on to be record breaking. I think we are stronger this season,  maybe Leko isn't quite a Tammy but we have better cover for each position and players who are prepared to put effort in and put their bodies in the line.

It was the Cardiff game for me, live on Sky. We could have moved up to second if we had got a decent result that night but that wasn't the case.

We never recovered from that! 

5 hours ago, RedM said:

Without looking back I can't remember where it all went wrong? Maybe after Hull dumped us out if the cup, so I'm approaching the Crystal Palace game with caution. Of course at the time we didn't know it would turn into one loss after another and go on to be record breaking. I think we are stronger this season,  maybe Leko isn't quite a Tammy but we have better cover for each position and players who are prepared to put effort in and put their bodies in the line.

Cardiff away, 14th October. Warnock knew exactly how to beat us and did so.

We do seem better this year than last but the challenge will come when we lose a match or two. Johnson needs to be able to stop a couple of defeats becoming a run, as that's what did for us, and nearly for him, last season.

Johnson has made changes to the squad and to the coaching staff, and has spoken as though he knows what he did wrong. If things are better this year then he deserves credit for that. If two or three defeats in a row become five or six then he'll be in a very tough place indeed.

Seems to me that after Burton in October there is a run of 9-10 matches all of which look very tricky, and I'm normally an optimistic soul.

That is the run of games that will tell us if this season is any different for sure. if we can get 7 points from the next three matches, and then another 10-12 by the time we play Forest at Ashton Gate in mid-December then I think we will be doing well.

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

We are in much better shape than last season.

Our youngsters have more experience.

Our old'uns are able to be rotated.

See photo .

I would be amazed if we suffer like we did with a long losing run.

The important thing is to keep the energy levels up and then we can progress.

IMG_0039.JPG

I thought it was Bailey Wright who was Australian?

On 27/09/2016 at 23:05, Super said:

not a chance we would of won that game last season, some superb defending especially second half. Top effort.

Surprised to read in one paper that Norwich only gained a draw due to the brilliance of their 'keeper.

2 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Cardiff away, 14th October. Warnock knew exactly how to beat us and did so.

We do seem better this year than last but the challenge will come when we lose a match or two. Johnson needs to be able to stop a couple of defeats becoming a run, as that's what did for us, and nearly for him, last season.

Johnson has made changes to the squad and to the coaching staff, and has spoken as though he knows what he did wrong. If things are better this year then he deserves credit for that. If two or three defeats in a row become five or six then he'll be in a very tough place indeed.

Very well said, yes you are totally right it was Cardiff. 

7 hours ago, RedM said:

I reckon it was Brighton that did it. Even after Cardiff we were still just about digging out results. Hull was a spirited display in defeat.

Consider the following:

Brighton game itself- had Tomlin scored that great chance in the first 10 it may have all been so different on the day itself:

• Brighton a counterattacking side. Would have changed the whole dynamics.
  • There was considerable optimism at the time- 5 wins, a draw and a loss.
  • Under the floodlights, a goal up v a counterattacking side...yep tough.
  • The crowd was up from the start and would have been further so.

As it turned out, we lost rather comfortably, the O'Donnell conceding to Sidwell from around the halfway line, perhaps even in his own half. Get the feeling the season may well have panned out a lot more stress free had Tomlin scored in the first 10 that day tbh.

Still amazing how one loss and a bit of an iffy run could lead to such a collapse though.

6 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Point being we were in approx. same position this time last year and even the same comments were being made; re Reid, Bryn, Pack, Flint even Pato (see red highlights on ole`s post) the next 10 or so games and the run up to xmas, will tell us, if we do indeed have more strength in depth.

I think you just prefer being cynical/cautious/negative rather than actually enjoying the good form.

There’s no real need for people to be skeptical about this season just because of last season - it doesn’t examine the wider context. Clearly we are far stronger than last season.

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think you just prefer being cynical/negative rather than actually enjoying the good form.

There’s no real need for people to be skeptical about this season just because of last season - it doesn’t examine the wider context. Clearly we are far stronger than last season.

Nail on the head.

(Yes, i removed 'cautious')

14 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Was the red highlighted bit not a reflection on our recent Norwich game? this season, so far,  seems the same as last, apart of course from "the masterful Tomlin"  and "the tricky Freeman" :shifty:

This is pretty desperate stuff digging up old reports selectively. You've picked out my comments from one of our two good games last season vs Fulham and Leeds to insist that this is a repeat of last season and that I said the same all along then.

Actually last season outside of those games and including our first two away games of last season at Wycombe and Burton I was consistent in highlighting how limited our forward play was and how little control of games our midfield got.

This is obviously nothing like this season nor my summaries of games this season, and mentioning one off praise for Tomlin is a bit rich when I was mainly on his case from early in the season and was called out by a lot of folks on here for doing so.

Literally no idea what point you're trying to make but it isn't a very good one. City this season and last, are chalk and cheese, the game at Norwich was good evidence of that and today was more of the same. All games that we'd have struggled last year.

7 minutes ago, Olé said:

This is pretty desperate stuff digging up old reports selectively. You've picked out my comments from one of our two good games last season vs Fulham and Leeds to insist that this is a repeat of last season and that I said the same all along then.

Actually last season outside of those games and including our first two away games of last season at Wycombe and Burton I was consistent in highlighting how limited our forward play was and how little control of games our midfield got.

This is obviously nothing like this season nor my summaries of games this season, and mentioning one off praise for Tomlin is a bit rich when I was mainly on his case from early in the season and was called out by a lot of folks on here for doing so.

Literally no idea what point you're trying to make but it isn't a very good one. City this season and last, are chalk and cheese, the game at Norwich was good evidence of that and today was more of the same. All games that we'd have struggled last year.

Ignore him. He'll find ways to constantly move the goalposts in order to refuse to give anyone connected with the club any credit for anything positive.

6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Ignore him. He'll find ways to constantly move the goalposts in order to refuse to give anyone connected with the club any credit for anything positive.

Yep - there’s one or two who seem to almost be hoping it goes wrong. That’s how it comes across anyway. They’d rather be ‘right’ than for the club to succeed.

12 hours ago, JonDolman said:

There's a massive difference between this season and last season. We have a much better squad, a solid defence, a style of play and formation that we stick to. Team spirit seems better, Johnson has now got his staff in, the players are much better after last seasons experience. We got found out last season away to Cardiff. And it seemed every team then knew how to beat us. I can't see that happening this season.

Basically we haven't got Tomlin any more

This thread is interesting, only in so much as to show that we need to keep our feet on the ground and keep doing the good things that we are doing. Do not think we've got any divine right to a single point in this league. 

The biggest difference..? Simple. We have able replacements in every position. Any individuals' drop in form can be easily rectified/replaced. We have everyone singing from the same page and a clearer game plan. Oh, and no massively disruptive influences!

We will lose games. We need to learn from lessons last season. But as someone said above, this season & last are like chalk & cheese. 

Last season we relied on "moments", this season we can have a degree of faith in our game. 

40 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Basically we haven't got Tomlin any more

You could almost sense the disharmony that was brewing when he made those frustrating substitute appearances from the autumn onwards. Attempting to take on everyone only to give the ball away and leave the defence exposed. Tomlin was not a team player.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

This thread is interesting, only in so much as to show that we need to keep our feet on the ground and keep doing the good things that we are doing. Do not think we've got any divine right to a single point in this league. 

The biggest difference..? Simple. We have able replacements in every position. Any individuals' drop in form can be easily rectified/replaced. We have everyone singing from the same page and a clearer game plan. Oh, and no massively disruptive influences!

We will lose games. We need to learn from lessons last season. But as someone said above, this season & last are like chalk & cheese. 

Last season we relied on "moments", this season we can have a degree of faith in our game. 

Oh no we ******* wont :redcard::punish:

:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Olé said:

With respect, I think you're being a bit defensive (and subsequently aggressive) here.

I took the original bump as a gentle reminder as to why we should all be cautious about getting too excited. I assumed he used your match report because they are (correctly) considered very well thought out and sober assessments. Noting the dates, I think it's a great way to make the point.  

So yeah, agree with you that it seems different this year. But also agree that we don't know that yet. Not sure you need to come out swinging like that. 

22 minutes ago, Tom Fleuriot said:

With respect, I think you're being a bit defensive (and subsequently aggressive) here.

I took the original bump as a gentle reminder as to why we should all be cautious about getting too excited. I assumed he used your match report because they are (correctly) considered very well thought out and sober assessments. Noting the dates, I think it's a great way to make the point.  

So yeah, agree with you that it seems different this year. But also agree that we don't know that yet. Not sure you need to come out swinging like that. 

I think to begin with it’s just a bit of a weird thing to do. Sorting through someone’s posts from a year ago just to get some ammunition is slightly odd.

The poster in question was also very selective with the reports he chose and used to make his point.

The other factor is that ‘glos old boy’ remains inherently negative for no real reason. Whilst Olé’s match reports might be well thought out and considered, I can’t say the same for the views of ‘gob’ who just seems to criticise absolutely everything.

27 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think to begin with it’s just a bit of a weird thing to do. Sorting through someone’s posts from a year ago just to get some ammunition is slightly odd.

The poster in question was also very selective with the reports he chose and used to make his point.

The other factor is that ‘glos old boy’ remains inherently negative for no real reason. Whilst Olé’s match reports might be well thought out and considered, I can’t say the same for the views of ‘gob’ who just seems to criticise absolutely everything.

What an appropriate abbreviation..! 

1 hour ago, Tom Fleuriot said:

Come on mate, my post was clearly not aggressive but if it came across that way I apologise to the poster concerned, although I suspect he was stirring the pot and got what he wanted. I was typing it one handed on my mobile on the train back to London while having a drink with another City fan and discussing another very good result, and seeing the pretty desperate post did dampen my mood little - if I was defensive it was only of the validity of my view that City are playing really well this season.

The implication of the post, which I read as quite snide, was that I always shower praise on City and that this season is nothing new, and a whole report from a year ago (of a very good game) was dug up as evidence. Frankly that's a bit odd when a) last season I was often critical of City (and Tomlin, of whom my 'praise' this one occasion was apparently part of the OP's 'point') and was called out for being so and b) this season the praise I've shared is fairly obviously deserved to anyone who's seen City.

Archived