IGNORED

Jackie Vid

Tinmans Love Child

4 minutes ago, shelts said:

43 minutes ago, kevthered said:

Sorry Buddy don't agree....When Jacki had the ball at his feet he was amazing soon as he lost it he never chased it and was as lazy as he was brilliant... If I had to pick Tomlin or Jacki I would pick Tomlin every time. 

You couldn't of been watching around the time he played to make that comment . Jacki played in a World Cup and scored for his Country. To compare the two is an insult to the Polish genius 

If my memory still serves me well, the Leicester game was only shown on Match of the Day because it was one of the few FA Cup games to survive a big freeze that weekend, due to undersoil heating?  The pitch looked frosty in places which made Junior and Jacki's performances all the more impressive as they were able to keep their feet whilst all around them were impersonating Torville and Dean.  

23 minutes ago, Vespa Red said:

If my memory still serves me well, the Leicester game was only shown on Match of the Day because it was one of the few FA Cup games to survive a big freeze that weekend, due to undersoil heating?  The pitch looked frosty in places which made Junior and Jacki's performances all the more impressive as they were able to keep their feet whilst all around them were impersonating Torville and Dean.  

Yeah most games were called off. Not sure if City were due to be shown on MOTD that night but great that we were.

Was at Filbert St and what a game it was. Lets not forget Andy Leaning that day. A couple of top draw saves.

Cant wait to see Jacki tomorrow.

Jacki is probably my favourite City player in my 27 years watching them. He was a genius and a really nice bloke off the pitch as well. 

I actually think Tomlin is every bit as good though. Already scored more goals..? And with a 3 year contract, has every chance of eclipsing Jacki, with his own brand of genius. 

I still love you though, Jacki! 

Jacki was up there as one of our most gifted players, probably the most gifted both on and off the field! Bless Him, I knew/met his ex-wife many times, a former Pan Am flight attendant, among other girlfriends well! 

Is he better than Lee Tomlin, yes he was, but Jacki could have been up there with some of the all time greats. But if I were asked which one I would prefer in our team it would be LT every time as he (LT) knows its not just about him...Jacki didn't learn that until way after he retired (and he was off the hooch, allegedly)....But love the bloke, Oh Yeah!

That Leicester game video still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up!!! Jackie will always be in my all time top Bristol City 11. Genius.  I know it is wrong to compare with Tomlin as the style of football is so different and from different eras

But both are gods to me! 

8 hours ago, shelts said:

I can't see the sand all over it then!!

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The pitch looked well OK for that era when I was there...

One of my favourite ever away games. Was very close to being called off early in the day if I remember due to snow etc. 

I don't miss brown grass!

10 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I didn`t go to that one so it must have been another time I`m thinking of. Maybe he was over here for a while - I think he was something to do with the Polish international setup at the time.

It was Steve Phillips testimonial at Clevedon. Bit weird cos everyone went to see Jacki and he was the one left on the pitch afterwards for half an hour signing autographs!

Still my favourite City player ever. That's was the one period of watching City where it didn't really seem to matter whether we won or lost (and we often lost! Usually 2-3!), it was just such great football to watch. 

Still got the video (but bo video player!) of the home game v Ipswich when he back held the ball over his own head, and two defenders, ran between them and into the box to shoot. 

I met a guy after that game who was coming up from Plymouth to watch us just because of Jacki! 

9 hours ago, allyolly said:

Yeah most games were called off. Not sure if City were due to be shown on MOTD that night but great that we were.

Was at Filbert St and what a game it was. Lets not forget Andy Leaning that day. A couple of top draw saves.

Cant wait to see Jacki tomorrow.

I think it was switched for coverage late in the day, both sides were 2nd tier at the time so it wouldn't have been one that would have appealed to the casual fan when the draw was made. 

We were also on MOTD in the next round at Forest, but lost that one 4-1.

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I think it was switched for coverage late in the day, both sides were 2nd tier at the time so it wouldn't have been one that would have appealed to the casual fan when the draw was made. 

We were also on MOTD in the next round at Forest, but lost that one 4-1.

The forest game was shit from just about the first minute. 

Jacki is the most talented individual to pull on the red and white.  That came from 3 generations of my family going back to the 20's

Not the best player but the most naturally talented. 1 second the best you have ever seen 1 second later a liability.

For me a true maverick genius. I can only say I am happy to have been around to see him. Jet and Tomlin and Trundle do not come close when it comes to natural footballing ability.

Lasting memory. The osvaldo ardiles  (from escape to victory) flick over the head down near the east end corner flag, took 2 players out of the game. Put the cross on tanglefoots head..... only for him to miss a open goal :laugh:

5 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I think it was, Can't remember if Jacki scored, I think Ian Baird did.

Jackies talent was pretty obvious from the start though.

I'll see if I can look it up. I certainly have the programme, but it won't have the result :yes:

Lack of foresight in those days. 

Edit - think he did. Just under 10,000 present. Crowds were poor back then. They'd been even worse than that too. I remember one game against Sunderland which I'm sure was sub 8,000 not much before that. 

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

I'll see if I can look it up. I certainly have the programme, but it won't have the result :yes:

I was sitting right behind the goal in the Eastend for that game, I suspect you're right and Jackie did score. All I remember clearly is the ball looping over the Southend keeper and into the net for one of our goals and the general excitement about our new signing.

2 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I was sitting right behind the goal in the Eastend for that game, I suspect you're right and Jackie did score. All I remember clearly is the ball looping over the Southend keeper and into the net for one of our goals and the general excitement about our new signing.

Great memories. I was sat behind the same goal. Would love to have many of those memories on DVD. 

9 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Edit - think he did. Just under 10,000 present. Crowds were poor back then. They'd been even worse than that too. I remember one game against Sunderland which I'm sure was sub 8,000 not much before that. 

You're right mate, he definitely did. I just looked up an old topic on here and it says he scored on his debut. 

11 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I remember one game in about 96-ish against chesterfield that had a crowd of just over 4,000. A lot of people missed one of the best own goals witnessed at Ashton Gate 

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No problem mate, happy to have this debate, I never called the 1994 Liverpool team 'brilliant' as you said I did...I said it was a fine team, and it was. It was not a 'shocking' Liverpool side as you said it was - Grobbelaar, Rush, McManaman, Clough, Redknapp, Nicol etc...far from shocking, and far from their worst side. And I didn't contradict myself. I said the side we beat was a fine side but not as good as their sides in their glory years. Where's the contradiction??

Never mind mate I'm obviously not making my point properly but yes it's a good debate and at the end of the day we beat Liverpool at Anfield and that's all that matters. 

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Never mind mate I'm obviously not making my point properly but yes it's a good debate and at the end of the day we beat Liverpool at Anfield and that's all that matters. 

No worries! It's always annoyed me when Liverpool fans say we only beat a rubbish Liverpool team that night. They had some great players in that side - and Fowler, Rush and Barnes was their strike force in the drawn games at Ashton Gate before that replay at Anfield - over 400 goals for Liverpool between them...

Anyway, it's match day! The sun is shining and we are in the play offs as it stands right now!

Enjoy!

14 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Three times the player Tomlin is - and Tomlin is great, just shows how good Jacki was in my opinion...

Tomlin is three Times the player Jacki was and more ' honest ' .

I'm going against the grain here but I think Jacki was a huge disappointment.

He was immensely talented but for me he took the piss out of BCFC. 

Only turned it on when it suited him and a disruptive element at the club .

Sorry guys .

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Tomlin is three Times the player Jacki was and more ' honest ' .

I'm going against the grain here but I think Jacki was a huge disappointment.

He was immensely talented but for me he took the piss out of BCFC. 

Only turned it on when it suited him and a disruptive element at the club .

Sorry guys .

No doubt about that. But still the most naturally talented player to play for city imo. Piss head, and a bit disruptive towards certain coaches and managers but not I hasten to add to players (unless shagging their wife's)

Story from the touch line. Jacki to opposition player, "you're shit,  you know you're shit,  just give me the ball and let's get on with it"  he proceeded to nick the ball off the guys to waltz into the middle of the park and lay it on a plate for Cole

Osman didn't like the foreign players anyway and was under instruction to get high earners off the payroll, he paid youth team players to nobble atteveld to provoke a reaction so he could get him out of the club. Lots of things wrong with the club back then...and to be fair to Osman the board ensured he didn't have the tools to do the job. What he achieved defensively with mediocre players and no financial resource I defy other managers since him to have kept us up the way he did.

for sure my all-time favourite player. The Wolves games is forever burned in my memory as one of those nights when you thought the roof would blow off the ground. If I'm right, the match was also Cole's debut? 

The greatest Jacki memory mind would be his overhead flick in the middle of the park against Ipswich. Balls to try that eh. But so many other highlights. The Leicester match has been mentioned, so instead will take my hat off thinking of the Portsmouth game that started with a full-on battle in the Dolman and ended in a six goal thriller, and also the match against Cardiff when him and Cole simply took cardiff to pieces. Great time, and I've never forgiven Osman for getting rid of him.

Have met Jacki several times and he's always been an absolute gent who seems really happy to talk about his time at City. A legend, plain and simple. 

Archived