IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Nottingham Forest Match Day Thread

Good day everyone.

This is the 86th league and cup meeting between City and Forest. Like Leeds we do not have a particularly good record against today's opponents, winning just 18 and losing 38. That in fact is one of our worst records against any team in the Football League. Across the Trent we have beaten Notts County 44 times albeit over 107 games. Still, results and history count for very little especially if the mind set is right. From our first ever match in 1907 when City won 3-0 to the last three winning results the club is focused only on winning football matches and not distracted by history or status. It is the proverbial 11 v 11 and the remarkable years of 1979 and 1980 are long long gone for Forest. That said I recall those matches under the lights in Munich and Madrid and was, for those evenings, a true Forest fan. This was a time when English football reined supreme in Europe from the two wins by Liverpool to the night of glory for Aston Villa; 5 European cups in succession came back to England. Those were truly memorable matches every single one of them but the Forest wins, for me, epitomised more than any other how a relative minnow could conquer all. They were both only 1-0 wins with goals from Trevor Francis against Malmo in 1979 and, a year later, from John Robertson against Hamburg in Madrid.

The squad for those two matches rang like a who's who of football stars of that era.. Peter Shilton, Larry Lloyd, Viv Anderson, Garry Birtles, Trevor Francis, Frank Clark, Archie Gemmill (*), Kenny Burns, Tony Woodcock, John Robertson, Ian Bowyer, John McGovern (Captain in both matches), John O'Hare, Gary Mills and Martin O'Neill.

* I only place Gemmill in there because he would have been in the team but Brian Clough dropped him for the first final and shortly afterwards he was sold to Birmingham City. 

A number of those players have gone on to become successful managers in their own right. Ian Bowyer's son, Gary, is the current manager of Blackpool and two other players in that list currently also manage teams; apart from the obvious who is the other?

I was asked to include some Viking history by a poster in the Leeds thread or, in other words, not get wrapped up in Welsh 'stuff'. Well, while I did not really go anywhere near the Danes or Danelaw for the last Forest thread there is history there if you care to delve below; The Vikings came later of course between the 8th and 11th centuries.

And interestingly, or not, Nottingham has a rather strong link to the Vikings. So much so that they have a Centre for the Study of the Viking Age or CSVA at the Trent Building of the University of Nottingham so, next away game, go early!

Well, that is all folks, I feel a bit Nottinghammed out to tell the truth, this being about the 3rd or 4th thread on the club. The threads they is evolving though as they must.

So, no Tomlin today then. Gary O'Neill will hopefully be a much welcomed return and perhaps an opportunity for O'Dowda to start. It would also be rather interesting to see Engvall play a part if he is back to full match fitness. Incidentally I wonder if he is any relation to American comedian Bill Engvall? Perhaps a distant migration from the Engvall clan in Scandinavia links the two families.

I do hope we maintain our 9th spot in the best supported league table, one ahead of Forest who dipped below the 20k mark recently. A 21k+ crowd would be most welcome but the forecast of rain and only 14 degrees c does not bode well for non-season ticket holders.

Enjoy the game y'all. Oh and I was going to end on a Bill Engvall quote but having read the first 10 and found myself not laughing, I mean at all, I decided against the idea. The best laugh will be hearing you guys at the match today waving and laughing at the Forest fans leaving early with a miffed look written across all of their faces.

3-1 ? Is that a reasonable expectation?

UTC

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 15

Great MD thread again H , Thank you .

I would take issue with your comment that the names were like a who's who from the era , in fact Clough moulded a team of mostly journeymen , cast offs and non-league players into Champions .

Peter Shilton and Francis were the only marquée signings and if I recall correctly the latter was only signed after they'd got promoted to the First Division , albeit they broke the British transfer Record to land him , the first million pound player .

Looking forward to this game...I wasn't going, but circumstances have changed and I can now make it. :-)

Like you say, Forest have always been one of our bogey teams...but I feel an upturn in fortunes now. Like we did against Leeds...another bogey team...under LJ I hope we will put our past to bed.

Those European nights in 79, 80 must have been such a thrill for Forest fans. Nearly 40 years ago now...Can section 82 remind them, that they used to be famous ;-)

Can't deny it was a great achievement though...Peter Taylor and Brian Clough...Genius's of the time.

Would have taken a draw at the beginning of the season, but after the positive ground out result against Leeds, I've raised my expectations. COYR's

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone.

This is the 86th league and cup meeting between City and Forest. Like Leeds we do not have a particularly good record against today's opponents, winning just 18 and losing 38. That in fact is one of our worst records against any team in the Football League. Across the Trent we have beaten Notts County 44 times albeit over 107 games. Still, results and history count for very little especially if the mind set is right. From our first ever match in 1907 when City won 3-0 to the last three winning results the club is focused only on winning football matches and not distracted by history or status. It is the proverbial 11 v 11 and the remarkable years of 1979 and 1980 are long long gone for Forest. That said I recall those matches under the lights in Munich and Madrid and was, for those evenings, a true Forest fan. This was a time when English football reined supreme in Europe from the two wins by Liverpool to the night of glory for Aston Villa; 5 European cups in succession came back to England. Those were truly memorable matches every single one of them but the Forest wins, for me, epitomised more than any other how a relative minnow could conquer all. They were both only 1-0 wins with goals from Trevor Francis against Malmo in 1979 and, a year later, from John Robertson against Hamburg in Madrid.

The squad for those two matches rang like a who's who of football stars of that era.. Peter Shilton, Larry Lloyd, Viv Anderson, Garry Birtles, Trevor Francis, Frank Clark, Archie Gemmill (*), Kenny Burns, Tony Woodcock, John Robertson, Ian Bowyer, John McGovern (Captain in both matches), John O'Hare, Gary Mills and Martin O'Neill.

* I only place Gemmill in there because he would have been in the team but Brian Clough dropped him for the first final and shortly afterwards he was sold to Birmingham City. 

A number of those players have gone on to become successful managers in their own right. Ian Bowyer's son, Gary, is the current manager of Blackpool and two other players in that list currently also manage teams; apart from the obvious who is the other?

I was asked to include some Viking history by a poster in the Leeds thread or, in other words, not get wrapped up in Welsh 'stuff'. Well, while I did not really go anywhere near the Danes or Danelaw for the last Forest thread there is history there if you care to delve below; The Vikings came later of course between the 8th and 11th centuries.

And interestingly, or not, Nottingham has a rather strong link to the Vikings. So much so that they have a Centre for the Study of the Viking Age or CSVA at the Trent Building of the University of Nottingham so, next away game, go early!

Well, that is all folks, I feel a bit Nottinghammed out to tell the truth, this being about the 3rd or 4th thread on the club. The threads they is evolving though as they must.

So, no Tomlin today then. Gary O'Neill will hopefully be a much welcomed return and perhaps an opportunity for O'Dowda to start. It would also be rather interesting to see Engvall play a part if he is back to full match fitness. Incidentally I wonder if he is any relation to American comedian Bill Engvall? Perhaps a distant migration from the Engvall clan in Scandinavia links the two families.

I do hope we maintain our 9th spot in the best supported league table, one ahead of Forest who dipped below the 20k mark recently. A 21k+ crowd would be most welcome but the forecast of rain and only 14 degrees c does not bode well for non-season ticket holders.

Enjoy the game y'all. Oh and I was going to end on a Bill Engvall quote but having read the first 10 and found myself not laughing, I mean at all, I decided against the idea. The best laugh will be hearing you guys at the match today waving and laughing at the Forest fans leaving early with a miffed look written across all of their faces.

UTC

Condensed Version

Forest:

We normally do shite against them.  Havana is a closet Forest fan.

Because of the Vikings it would be best to travel to the Forest away game after todays final whistle.

3-1 sounds reasonable

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I would take issue with your comment that the names were like a who's who from the era , in fact Clough moulded a team of mostly journeymen , cast offs and non-league players into Champions .

Peter Shilton and Francis were the only marquée signings and if I recall correctly the latter was only signed after they'd got promoted to the First Divi

osion , albeit they broke the British transfer Record to land him , the first million pound player .

Quite right Major.

That they became household names is down to Clough making a group of mainly journeymen into an all conquering team.

Doubt we will the like again.

• Like 1

20% of Swedish people moved to Amerika between 1900-1920. It was vikings that took the first boat to America, long Before we known Before. They took slaves back home. Indians has been found in Iceland. vikings were warriors, businessmen and very good sailors. But anyway, we are in a good run and I Think we will beat Forest 2-1. Paterson winning goal. Always Believe, COYR!!!

• Like 4

In the world of football fans starting match-day threads for their clubs, our Hava must be up there with the very best. 

I'd be in awe of LJ and the team if we could win 3 league games on the bounce, so such is the way with football, I'm tipping today to be a thrilling draw.  1-1 doesn't quite sound thrilling enough for me, so I reckon we'll draw 2 apiece.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSS

LJ is the future of football, and Ashton Gate is home to the Gods.

Edited by reddogkev
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Peter Shilton and Francis were the only marquée signings and if I recall correctly the latter was only signed after they'd got promoted to the First Division , albeit they broke the British transfer Record to land him , the first million pound player .

Two aspects to your first para Major.... Agreed on the largely unknowns or journeymen but it is what they became and remain to this day; icons. That is what i was trying to drive at.

30 minutes ago, Icelandic Clap said:

To answer the question...I believe Frank Clark went on into management, with Orient then a fairly successful spell at Forest themselves. Didn't he have an ill-fated spell at Man City? 

Jerseybean has it below; ie present tense.

25 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Condensed Version

Forest:

We normally do shite against them.  Havana is a closet Forest fan.

Because of the Vikings it would be best to travel to the Forest away game after todays final whistle.

3-1 sounds reasonable

Interesting remark about bein a closet Florist young sir.... Pondering that. 

23 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Thank you H for a great MD thread, Gary Mills manages Wrexham 

Muy bien hombre, correcto. 

22 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

20% of Swedish people moved to Amerika between 1900-1920. It was vikings that took the first boat to America, long Before we known Before. They took slaves back home. Indians has been found in Iceland. vikings were warriors, businessmen and very good sailors. But anyway, we are in a good run and I Think we will beat Forest 2-1. Paterson winning goal. Always Believe, COYR!!!

And yet they still teach that Columbus founded America...does my head in.

Here's something else that bugs...Quote...

Why every world map you're looking at is WRONG: Africa, China and India are distorted despite access to accurate satellite data

• The distortion is the result of the Mercator map which was created in 1596 to help sailors navigate the world
  • It gives the right shapes of countries but at the cost of distorting sizes in favour of the wealthy lands to the north
  • For instance, north America looks larger, or at least as big, as Africa, and Greenland also looks of comparable size
  • In reality, you can fit north America into Africa and still have space for India, Argentina, Tunisia and some left over
  • Map suggests Scandinavian countries are larger than India, whereas in reality India is three times the size
  • The biggest challenge for cartographers is that it is impossible to portray reality of spherical world on a flat map

Take a look at a map today, and you’re likely to see that North America is larger than Africa, Alaska is larger than Mexico and China is smaller than Greenland.

But in reality China is four times bigger than Greenland, Africa is three times bigger than North America and Mexico is larger than Alaska.

The distortion is the result of the Mercator projection, the map most commonly seen hanging in classrooms and in text books, which was created in 1596 to help sailors navigate the world.

• Like 9
21 minutes ago, spudski said:

And yet they still teach that Columbus founded America...does my head in.

Here's something else that bugs...Quote...

Why every world map you're looking at is WRONG: Africa, China and India are distorted despite access to accurate satellite data

• The distortion is the result of the Mercator map which was created in 1596 to help sailors navigate the world
  • It gives the right shapes of countries but at the cost of distorting sizes in favour of the wealthy lands to the north
  • For instance, north America looks larger, or at least as big, as Africa, and Greenland also looks of comparable size
  • In reality, you can fit north America into Africa and still have space for India, Argentina, Tunisia and some left over
  • Map suggests Scandinavian countries are larger than India, whereas in reality India is three times the size
  • The biggest challenge for cartographers is that it is impossible to portray reality of spherical world on a flat map

Take a look at a map today, and you’re likely to see that North America is larger than Africa, Alaska is larger than Mexico and China is smaller than Greenland.

But in reality China is four times bigger than Greenland, Africa is three times bigger than North America and Mexico is larger than Alaska.

The distortion is the result of the Mercator projection, the map most commonly seen hanging in classrooms and in text books, which was created in 1596 to help sailors navigate the world.

Well I say! I'm a cartographer by trade, never thought I'd see the day the Mercator projection is explained on a match day thread. 

Also annoys me when people say 'upside down' maps or those with Asia in the middle are wrong! Bloody elitists 

Anyway back to reality, u redzzzzzzzzzzz 1-0

• Like 5
1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone.

UTC

A sticky wicket-1-1 in the Ashton mud...

2 minutes ago, Ash the Bash said:

Well I say! I'm a cartographer by trade, never thought I'd see the day the Mercator projection is explained on a match day thread. 

Also annoys me when people say 'upside down' maps or those with Asia in the middle are wrong! Bloody elitists 

Blame it on @havanatopia ;-) Matchday threads are about being educated these days and I love it :-) COYR's

• Like 2

Feels like today's game will tell us a lot about the direction we are heading in this season. Win and it's four wins on the bounce, more momentum and increasing belief that we can be play off contenders. Lose and it will feel like we are probably a mid table side and nothing more.

I know this game isn't really quite that pivotal, but that's how it feels. Momentum and confidence counts for a lot in a division where there isn't much else between many of the teams.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Ash the Bash said:

The number of people who cannot get their heads around the idea that there is no right way up when it comes to the solar system / milky way / universe. :grr:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Garland-sweden said:

Didn`t the Swedish Vikings sail right into Russia, along the rivers?

• Like 1