IGNORED

Lee Tomlin. Miss it when it's gone.

Bar BS3

Good performance and another great win today. Well done boys!

However, for anyone who was in any doubt about Tomlins' value to the team, I thought the first half particularly highlighted why he's so important to us. By not being there to do it!

Anyway, those out there today did a fine job overall and fully deserved another 3 points. 

Sat beautifully going into the international break. 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Good performance and another great win today. Well done boys!

However, for anyone who was in any doubt about Tomlins' value to the team, I thought the first half particularly highlighted why he's so important to us. By not being there to do it!

Anyway, those out there today did a fine job overall and fully deserved another 3 points. 

Sat beautifully going into the international break. 

Fair shout, make no mistake, without Tomlin we are a far weaker team

This is the one position that I don't think will be up for grabs as today proved nobody in the squad is up to the same quality of tomlin. And yet all 3 attacking midfielder had a chance to stake a claim in the line up and although we got the result don't get why all 3 felt the need to play so central. In the second half Forrest seem to have a free run at Brownhill and golbourne.

9 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

This is the one position that I don't think will be up for grabs as today proved nobody in the squad is up to the same quality of tomlin. And yet all 3 attacking midfielder had a chance to stake a claim in the line up and although we got the result don't get why all 3 felt the need to play so central. In the second half Forrest seem to have a free run at Brownhill and golbourne.

Reid needed to be more dominant and tell O'Dowda, Patterson and occasionally Brownhill to **** off !   seriously Tomlin would have given them a ear bashing... maybe Reid needs to be given / shown the confidence to own the position - I think he can play there... for now though - Tomlin is def first choice

Still surprised Envall was not given the chance seeing as when he came here we were told he can play as a striker or a number 10.

He is presumably fit enough at least for a half if he is on the bench - I would hope !!

Hopefully proved it is not the position for Reid that so many thought was the natural choice - still gave me a laugh !!

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I'd also say we missed Mark Little, too.

Taylor Moore was all at sea first half and whilst Brownhill was better, he wasn't mom in a million years.

Looks like Mathews will be back in next game . We are poor at right back. Taylor looked like a centre half playing right back and uncomfortable . As for Little he is a liability and a League one player at best. Right back and centre forward I think  could be improved. 

5 minutes ago, Neo said:

Still surprised Envall was not given the chance seeing as when he came here we were told he can play as a striker or a number 10.

He is presumably fit enough at least for a half if he is on the bench - I would hope !!

Hopefully proved it is not the position for Reid that so many thought was the natural choice - still gave me a laugh !!

Envall isn't good enough at the moment. Lots to learn.

Bizarre comment on Reid seeing as though he had an excellent second half.

Personally I think Tomlins role in the wins against Leeds and Fulham seem to be a little overstated.

Yes, he's one of the best attacking players in the C'ship so we will miss him. But lots of others contributed v Fulham and Leeds and put on a show second half today.

27 minutes ago, Neo said:

Reid has taken Tomlins role when he has been subbed in the past, he can do it - he needs to try to OWN it like Tomlin though.

We looked inexperienced in the first half - LJ clearly spotted this and fixed it at the right time (but it was his mistake in the first place and ideally he wouldn't have made it but we're all human and I'm sure it was about giving certain personnel a go).

We have got used to having LT in there to create a lot - we certainly missed him as you would with any top quality championship player like LT.

I know I'm going to be unpopular but for the reason that we missed Tomlin today, ie his mouth, Johnson really has to stamp out this part of his play. Although aware of what he can be like we didn't  see this side of him last season  and it comes as a great disappointment to see him getting a booking every other match - not for a badly timed foul but because he can't keep his mouth shut in front of the referee! Genius he may be but he's going to be a very expensive member of the team if he's either on suspension or under the threat of it every other month.

Rant over, sorry!

Tomlin is an incredibly important component in the 4231 system when we play it and I don't think we quite have anyone able to deputise for him as yet.

But delighted that we proved today we can manage without him, although imagine we might see 442 deployed on those occasions in future, or at least one of O'Neil and/or a fit Korey in the middle to pin things together.

Tomlin has a mix of ability, attitude and vision that clearly helps galvanise our attacking efforts, and inspire his team mates (when he's in the mood...), and am very keen to see what he can do to Cardiff in two weeks.

28 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Envall isn't good enough at the moment. Lots to learn.

Sorry, you're basing this on what exactly? 

He's played 62 minutes in a Bristol City shirt. So unless you've been down at the training ground, or are an expert on Swedish football, not sure how you can make that statement with such certainty?

41 minutes ago, shelts said:

Looks like Mathews will be back in next game . We are poor at right back. Taylor looked like a centre half playing right back and uncomfortable . As for Little he is a liability and a League one player at best. Right back and centre forward I think  could be improved. 

Struggling as to how Little is considered a "liability", seeing as we have beaten Villa, Fulham and Leeds of late with him starting.

Matthews being unable to even get off the subs bench today with him out suggests to me that he is well down the pecking order.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Struggling as to how Little is considered a "liability", seeing as we have beaten Villa, Fulham and Leeds of late with him starting.

Matthews being unable to even get off the subs bench today with him out suggests to me that he is well down the pecking order.

Disagree. By being on the bench shows he is ready. Wether we win or not Little is not good enough at this level. He tries really hard bless him and just isn't the type of player needed for the style we play , more of a Cotts type of player . We shall see how it goes . 

2 hours ago, shelts said:

Disagree. By being on the bench shows he is ready. Wether we win or not Little is not good enough at this level. He tries really hard bless him and just isn't the type of player needed for the style we play , more of a Cotts type of player . We shall see how it goes . 

Presume the "style of play" you refer to is him being part of a team capable of smashing Fulham four nothing, not to mention the other excellent performances he's put in this season?

His introduction in place of Matthews at half time against Fulham in the cup steadied the ship, and helped us win that game, and the fact his starting replacement today got hooked at half time, yet Matthews stayed on the bench speaks volumes.

Not going to try and sell Little as the best thing since sliced bread, but calling him a liability isn't right; does what he's asked more often than not, and often with next to no cover (a la Rotherham, where he was left on his own to manage two of their players most of the time, and did a damn good job of it).

I'm yet to be convinced by Matthews this season; hope to see him back fit and firing soon, but until then Mark Little is a more than adequate right back.

I think Little is OK as a squad player but at the moment not as a starter.

Frankly from my obvservation I think he is too heavy and I don't mean fat but that he is heavily built and its all muscle but i really don't think that fits the profile for his position currently, he's more likely to do better in the middle with that built.

Marlon Pack is also a bit heavy but then again in the middle where he plays it doesn't do him much harm and he can use his strength in there but as a wingback you're facing nimble tiny/slick wingers all day so its always a long day for Little.

We played a seriously youthful team in the first half and we dominated without making the breakthrough. A bit of nous from O'Neil and Wilbs helped the young lads along. 

Let's be fair though, we might still have won without those changes at HT.

As I said in another post. LJ should have told Tomlin to get himself booked the game before Fulham in the cup, I think it was against Derby. He would have then missed the cup game against Fulham which he never played anyway and would have been able to play against Fulham in the league and Forest. I think a tactical error that LJ missed! 

O'Neil and Wilbraham were immense when they came on. Wilbraham is just a canny old striker as dirty as any centre back in this league and O'Neil is just plain quality. I'm not yet ready to put any other city player above him. 

I was walking back with a forest fan you couldn't praise O'Neil enough and for that matter Lee Johnson for reading the game and making the right changes.

7 hours ago, samo II said:

Presume the "style of play" you refer to is him being part of a team capable of smashing Fulham four nothing, not to mention the other excellent performances he's put in this season?

His introduction in place of Matthews at half time against Fulham in the cup steadied the ship, and helped us win that game, and the fact his starting replacement today got hooked at half time, yet Matthews stayed on the bench speaks volumes.

Not going to try and sell Little as the best thing since sliced bread, but calling him a liability isn't right; does what he's asked more often than not, and often with next to no cover (a la Rotherham, where he was left on his own to manage two of their players most of the time, and did a damn good job of it).

I'm yet to be convinced by Matthews this season; hope to see him back fit and firing soon, but until then Mark Little is a more than adequate right back.

Not too sure about this. I think Matthews staying on the bench may have simply been because LJ wanted to bring on GON and Wilbs, and therefore didn't want to make all 3 subs at once and have a whole half of being exposed to injury, change of approach.etc. I'm fairly sure that Matthews would have come on at HT if it hadn't been for this, especially given that Brownhill, by his own admission, had never played right back before 

8 minutes ago, georgebcfc said:

Not too sure about this. I think Matthews staying on the bench may have simply been because LJ wanted to bring on GON and Wilbs, and therefore didn't want to make all 3 subs at once and have a whole half of being exposed to injury, change of approach.etc. I'm fairly sure that Matthews would have come on at HT if it hadn't been for this, especially given that Brownhill, by his own admission, had never played right back before 

I'll concede that point, but still not sure Little's recent performances warrant him being labelled a "liability" - the same problems of getting overloaded and working without cover Moore and Brownhill faced are ones that Little has, and often with aplomb. 

Archived