IGNORED

Lee Tomlin. Miss it when it's gone.

Bar BS3

28 minutes ago, samo II said:

I'll concede that point, but still not sure Little's recent performances warrant him being labelled a "liability" - the same problems of getting overloaded and working without cover Moore and Brownhill faced are ones that Little has, and often with aplomb. 

Agreed, I think that's just the way LJ wants us to set up with the likes of Tomlin, Freeman and Paterson in the side, rightly or wrongly. We're getting away with it at the moment but as you say we are at risk and need Little / Matthews to be on top form for it to work, which Little has been so far

1 minute ago, georgebcfc said:

Agreed, I think that's just the way LJ wants us to set up with the likes of Tomlin, Freeman and Paterson in the side, rightly or wrongly. We're getting away with it at the moment but as you say we are at risk and need Little / Matthews to be on top form for it to work, which Little has been so far

I get the impression that unless we see Matthews make that right back spot his own after the international break, he might struggle to have much impact pre-Christmas.

With four games in 11 days straight after the break, and Little currently injured, I imagine we are working hard to get Matthews capable of 90 mins before Cardiff, as we're going to need to utilise the squad in full to ensure we keep up this momentum.

Otherwise we might see the likes of Moore and Brownhill playing out of position a fair bit more, and I'm really hoping we can avoid that.

You can debate how important he is relative to other players, but don't think there's any doubt we miss him. Which is why he has got to keep his mouth shut when he's anywhere near a referee when he gets back. I think his booking v Leeds was for what he said, which would make all 5 for mouthing off - and he should have been sent off for it at Burton.

Arguably as important is GON - and guess what, first appearance after a suspension and booked yesterday for saying something to the ref.

we need to cut that out!

11 hours ago, shelts said:

Disagree. By being on the bench shows he is ready. Wether we win or not Little is not good enough at this level. He tries really hard bless him and just isn't the type of player needed for the style we play , more of a Cotts type of player . We shall see how it goes . 

Why did LJ go out of his way to praise Little in his interview if he's not good enough? He's been improving with every game, have you been watching them recently or just listening on the radio?

Like I said in the matchday thread, you can now see the difference he makes. Even when things aren't coming off for him, he occupies defenders because they are worried about him. Tomlin on the pitch opens up space for literally everyone else to operate because at least 6 defending eyes are on him. What makes him truly great for us is that even when he gets 2 or 3 defenders closing him down, he can get away from them and make something happen. He's not hit the levels of last year but yesterday made me appreciate the man even more and I didn't see him. 

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Like I said in the matchday thread, you can now see the difference he makes. Even when things aren't coming off for him, he occupies defenders because they are worried about him. Tomlin on the pitch opens up space for literally everyone else to operate because at least 6 defending eyes are on him. What makes him truly great for us is that even when he gets 2 or 3 defenders closing him down, he can get away from them and make something happen. He's not hit the levels of last year but yesterday made me appreciate the man even more and I didn't see him. 

I said exactly that at half time... a huge miss... pulls all the strings and makes space for others. I think Tammy will have noticed his absence the most, especially in that first half.

1 hour ago, samo II said:

I'll concede that point, but still not sure Little's recent performances warrant him being labelled a "liability" - the same problems of getting overloaded and working without cover Moore and Brownhill faced are ones that Little has, and often with aplomb. 

Yes, the word 'liability' is completely inappropriate.

We all recognise that Little isn't a 'rolls-royce' right back, but he is effective.  For all of his shortcomings (some seen in our other defenders too) like occasionally getting caught out of position, getting done by a good ball inside him on the turn etc, there aren't many games where I feel his opponent has had him 'on toast'.

Most criticism comes from the stuff he does with with the ball at his feet, which over the past 2/3 games have been rare.  He seemed to be at full fitness, physically and mentally, finally playing with the freedom of knowing worrying about his shoulder.  His buccaneering wing-back style is going to be less effective against clever left backs at this level.  

Matthews probably is the 'rolls-royce' at this level, but until he's fit and firing, I'm more than happy with Litts.

Finally, we aren't going to have a team of top-quality players, we are going to have some better than others.  We are also going to have some players in some positions where there isn't much between them, and there will be some on here who like one over the other and vice versa.

Yesterday showed the strength of the squad.  No-one on here is going to select Wilbs to start over Tammy, but Wilbs can still play a part.  O'Dowda started over Freeman, Golbourne over Bryan, Brownhill over O'Neil yesterday.

We weren't able to do this last season or the season before.

10 hours ago, samo II said:

Presume the "style of play" you refer to is him being part of a team capable of smashing Fulham four nothing, not to mention the other excellent performances he's put in this season?

His introduction in place of Matthews at half time against Fulham in the cup steadied the ship, and helped us win that game, and the fact his starting replacement today got hooked at half time, yet Matthews stayed on the bench speaks volumes.

Not going to try and sell Little as the best thing since sliced bread, but calling him a liability isn't right; does what he's asked more often than not, and often with next to no cover (a la Rotherham, where he was left on his own to manage two of their players most of the time, and did a damn good job of it).

I'm yet to be convinced by Matthews this season; hope to see him back fit and firing soon, but until then Mark Little is a more than adequate right back.

Rather uncomfortable on the ball in a side being encouraged to keep the ball. Old fashioned type of full back. I still support the guy when in the side. Mathews has more about him but has major fitness questions , if he gets fit I'm convinced he will take the shirt. I can't and won't argue that we've won games with him in the side and he hasn't done bad. Hope this helps 

6 hours ago, 054123 said:

O'Neil and Wilbraham were immense when they came on. Wilbraham is just a canny old striker as dirty as any centre back in this league and O'Neil is just plain quality. I'm not yet ready to put any other city player above him. 

I was walking back with a forest fan you couldn't praise O'Neil enough and for that matter Lee Johnson for reading the game and making the right changes.

So true.

O'Neil is simply class, whereas Wilbs is old school, the verbals going on between him and their no.5 after he came on were quality.

Fair to say he gives it out and takes it, what a brilliant signing he was..

5 minutes ago, cynic said:

Definitely missed Tomlin, but GON was at least equally missed in that first half - he ran the show when he came on.

Having both in the team plus Smith will make the team very difficult to beat, especially if LJ can fit Pack in as well.

Looking good.

Difficult to fit them all in. 

Could be possible with GON & KS holding. MP in the middle with LT left and JP right & TA up front. 

Archived