IGNORED

Lee Johnson

RaspberryRed

If you've had a few with Sunday lunch you may want to return to my rambling later

An amazing run of results and I think the 2 week break has come at a perfect time for us. To start with keeping the momentum up and going into the break on a win cannot be underestimated psychologically. The other thing is we have an eciting big relatively young squad who are still learning about their bodies, capabilities, game management and recovery time. Whereas the older players taking Gary O'Neill as an example, he was only saying in a recent interview how the little knocks need even more recovery time and management when you have done something like 20 preseasons

The work that was done in the summer by The owner, LJ, MA and the under heralded Des Taylor was nothing short of phenomenal everything since is well documented. Although I do think having the wonderful Tammy Abraham at our disposal whilst being potentially season changing (certainly thus for) it has slightly taken the heat off of as much as maybe seven or eight sub 25ish-year-olds who on what they have achieved and their potential (and this lot really do look a level headed bunch) that is very clear to see good well go on to play at the highest level along with Tammy.

Anyway onto my main question. I love my sportspeople autobiographies and getting inside of the head of some of the most talented in their field which brings me onto knowing snippets about Lee Johnson but for me so many unanswered questions. So here goes a list of questions/ramblings that I would love to go into more depth with the man himself and maybe some things that I've totally made up

He's obviously a very intelligent young man.

From the way he has spoken Chris Iweluma (who I think speaks a lot of sense) did his badges with Lee and can never seem to speak highly enough about him and his insightful coaching skills.

How old was he when he did his coaching badges?

I'm sure that he travelled around the world before taking up his first managerial job but where did you go, for how long and who did he meet?

He said that he is very good friends with Kenny Dalglish when and how did this come about? I think this is true of other top Prem ex/managers

Was he offered the position of Head of Man City's Academy (which must be super impressive) or a job within that structure.

He has evidently always kept in touch with Steve Lansdown who I know wrote a reference or however it works in football for a manager's job that he was successful in getting. Are they Very good friends? I'd imagine Jon Lansdown and LJ spent a hell of a lot of time together knocking around Ashton Gate during their formative years.

I love how Frank and straight up he is and after a recent poor performance he said that he wasn't even going to the dressing room after the match because he was so fuming. That is genius on such a high level for a man in his midthirties it is frightening. A few points there is absolutely nothing to be gained by going to the dressing room and screaming the gaffe down and telling each player (who are all clever enough to work out for themselves what they've done or more to the point haven't) what a complete numb nuts they've been, the fundamental errors they've made and throwing teacups or more appropriately grenades.

Have a team meeting the next day or after the weekend therefore taking all of the emotion out of the situation and having a structured, well-planned debrief using all of the technology available to point out in black and white what went wrong. Also allows the players to have a little think about things before meeting the gaffer.

What innovative technologies has he introduced & am I right in thinking he is the first City manager to use drones in training and how widespread are these innovations? For example is that the sort of thing that premiership teams have been using since the technology has been available?

I'm unable to find any real in-depth interviews with him so if anyone can add any meat to any those bones or any links to more in-depth interviews with him it would be very much appreciated.

I know a lot of jaded, cynical old City fans in which I should probably include myself who have been around long enough to see/experience some really dark times for this club as well as the tears shed by young kids and grown men alike that sunny day at Wembley against a team we will hopefully take an element of payback in the coming weeks. As you get older you understand how much you have to relish those Freight Rover Trophies & JPT victories, the odd promotion and the giddy delights of the last couple of years. We are now starting to look at each other and almost be frightened to say how optimistic we are feeling and how the club and Ashton Gate and everything revolving around it seems to be in the next couple of years potentially on the cusp of something very special. Call me crazy I know we have a new stadium, Gaffer, Players but things just feel very different.

Anyway it's going to be one heck of a rollercoaster so enjoy the ride and when we do experience the dips stay behind the boys and the manager, shout louder with encouragement rather than criticism because at times we can be a cruel bunch. Whether you choose to dig him out wherter deemed rightly or wrongly is irrelevant but the dog's abuse that Mark little got at the start of the season must have at times been crushing as a professional sportsman giving your all when you are a 100%'er after rehabbing from a potentially career threatening injury. Roll on a year and there were a lot more people gutted to see him pull up injured against Leeds

COYR

Hopefully I've tamed @RaspberryRed's maverick post...

If I've merely made it worse, then only @bristolcitysweden can save us.

"If you've had a few with Sunday lunch you may want to return to my rambling later

An amazing run of results and I think the 2 week break has come at a perfect time for us. To start with keeping the momentum up and going into the break on a win cannot be underestimated psychologically. The other thing is we have an eciting big relatively young squad who are still learning about their bodies, capabilities, game management and recovery time. Whereas the older players taking Gary O'Neill as an example, he was only saying in a recent interview how the little knocks need even more recovery time and management when you have done something like 20 preseasons

The work that was done in the summer by The owner, LJ, MA and the under heralded Des Taylor was nothing short of phenomenal everything since is well documented. Although I do think having the wonderful Tammy Abraham at our disposal whilst being potentially season changing (certainly thus for) it has slightly taken the heat off of as much as maybe seven or eight sub 25ish-year-olds who on what they have achieved and their potential (and this lot really do look a level headed bunch) that is very clear to see good well go on to play at the highest level along with Tammy.

Anyway onto my main question. I love my sportspeople autobiographies and getting inside of the head of some of the most talented in their field which brings me onto knowing snippets about Lee Johnson but for me so many unanswered questions. So here goes a list of questions/ramblings that I would love to go into more depth with the man himself and maybe some things that I've totally made up

From the way he has spoken Chris Iweluma (who I think speaks a lot of sense) did his badges with Lee and can never seem to speak highly enough about him and his insightful coaching skills.

I'm sure that he travelled around the world before taking up his first managerial job but where did you go, for how long and who did he meet?

He said that he is very good friends with Kenny Dalglish when and how did this come about? I think this is true of other top Prem ex/managers

Was he offered the position of Head of Man City's Academy (which must be super impressive) or a job within that structure.

He has evidently always kept in touch with Steve Lansdown who I know wrote a reference or however it works in football for a manager's job that he was successful in getting. Are they Very good friends? I'd imagine Jon Lansdown and LJ spent a hell of a lot of time together knocking around Ashton Gate during their formative years.
I love how Frank and straight up he is and after a recent poor performance he said that he wasn't even going to the dressing room after the match because he was so fuming. That is genius on such a high level for a man in his midthirties it is frightening. A few points there is absolutely nothing to be gained by going to the dressing room and screaming the gaffe down and telling each player (who are all clever enough to work out for themselves what they've done or more to the point haven't) what a complete numb nuts they've been, the fundamental errors they've made and throwing teacups or more appropriately grenades.

Have a team meeting the next day or after the weekend therefore taking all of the emotion out of the situation and having a structured, well-planned debrief using all of the technology available to point out in black and white what went wrong. Also allows the players to have a little think about things before meeting the gaffer.

What innovative technologies has he introduced & am I right in thinking he is the first City manager to use drones in training and how widespread are these innovations? For example is that the sort of thing that premiership teams have been using since the technology has been available?

I'm unable to find any real in-depth interviews with him so if anyone can add any meat to any those bones or any links to more in-depth interviews with him it would be very much appreciated.

I know a lot of jaded, cynical old City fans in which I should probably include myself who have been around long enough to see/experience some really dark times for this club as well as the tears shed by young kids and grown men alike that sunny day at Wembley against a team we will hopefully take an element of payback in the coming weeks. As you get older you understand how much you have to relish those Freight Rover Trophies & JPT victories, the odd promotion and the giddy delights of the last couple of years. We are now starting to look at each other and almost be frightened to say how optimistic we are feeling and how the club and Ashton Gate and everything revolving around it seems to be in the next couple of years potentially on the cusp of something very special. Call me crazy I know we have a new stadium, Gaffer, Players but things just feel very different.

Anyway it's going to be one heck of a rollercoaster so enjoy the ride and when we do experience the dips stay behind the boys and the manager, shout louder with encouragement rather than criticism because at times we can be a cruel bunch. Whether you choose to dig him out wherter deemed rightly or wrongly is irrelevant but the dog's abuse that Mark little got at the start of the season must have at times been crushing as a professional sportsman giving your all when you are a 100%'er after rehabbing from a potentially career threatening injury. Roll on a year and there were a lot more people gutted to see him pull up injured against Leeds

COYR"

6 minutes ago, RedYoshi said:

"If you've had a few with Sunday lunch you may want to return to my rambling later

An amazing run of results and I think the 2 week break has come at a perfect time for us. To start with keeping the momentum up and going into the break on a win cannot be underestimated psychologically. The other thing is we have an eciting big relatively young squad who are still learning about their bodies, capabilities, game management and recovery time. Whereas the older players taking Gary O'Neill as an example, he was only saying in a recent interview how the little knocks need even more recovery time and management when you have done something like 20 preseasons

He has evidently always kept in touch with Steve Lansdown who I know wrote a reference or however it works in football for a manager's job that he was successful in getting. Are they Very good friends? I'd imagine Jon Lansdown and LJ spent a hell of a lot of time together knocking around Ashton Gate during their formative years.

I'm unable to find any real in-depth interviews with him so if anyone can add any meat to any those bones or any links to more in-depth interviews with him it would be very much appreciated.

I know a lot of jaded, cynical old City fans in which I should probably include myself who have been around long enough to see/experience some really dark times for this club as well as the tears shed by young kids and grown men alike that sunny day at Wembley against a team we will hopefully take an element of payback in the coming weeks. As you get older you understand how much you have to relish those Freight Rover Trophies & JPT victories, the odd promotion and the giddy delights of the last couple of years. We are now starting to look at each other and almost be frightened to say how optimistic we are feeling and how the club and Ashton Gate and everything revolving around it seems to be in the next couple of years potentially on the cusp of something very special. Call me crazy I know we have a new stadium, Gaffer, Players but things just feel very different.

Anyway it's going to be one heck of a rollercoaster so enjoy the ride and when we do experience the dips stay behind the boys and the manager, shout louder with encouragement rather than criticism because at times we can be a cruel bunch. Whether you choose to dig him out wherter deemed rightly or wrongly is irrelevant but the dog's abuse that Mark little got at the start of the season must have at times been crushing as a professional sportsman giving your all when you are a 100%'er after rehabbing from a potentially career threatening injury. Roll on a year and there were a lot more people gutted to see him pull up injured against Leeds

COYR"

Well done Sir/Ma'am (delete as appropriate)

The not going into the dressing room after a poor performance was something taken from Mourinho (I think I read or one of the "top" managers) for the reasons you list.

LJ has also used & been TP other "high pressure jobs", to see how these people deal with real pressure & they are listed as top chefs to see how they deal with time management & producing perfect plates of food every time & going into the NHS to see how doctors / nurses deal with life threatening illnesses / accidents & manage to stay so calm while all around them is panic & every decision could be the difference between life & death.

Many managers (or those that are willing to learn & don't think they already know everything) will also use contacts or opportunities to try & learn from the bigger foreign clubs (Barcelona / Real Madrid / Bayern Munich) to see how they maybe able to implement things.

17 minutes ago, RedYoshi said:

COYR"

Cheers @RedYoshi Appreciated. Any idea what I did

16 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

LJ has also used & been TP other "high pressure jobs", to see how these people deal with real pressure & they are listed as top chefs to see how they deal with time management & producing perfect plates of food every time & going into the NHS to see how doctors / nurses deal with life threatening illnesses / accidents & manage to stay so calm while all around them is panic & every decision could be the difference between life & death.

This is good from his point of view but I do find it surprising that the doctors / chefs etc. allow it. Of the restaurant experience he said something like he wanted it to be on a busy Friday night service so he could really experience the pressure. Presumably he only means to observe, not participate, but I wonder what he'd say if a chef asked to sit in the dressing room or the dugout during a cup final.

Still, if they are ok then it's a good thing.

7 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

This is good from his point of view but I do find it surprising that the doctors / chefs etc. allow it. Of the restaurant experience he said something like he wanted it to be on a busy Friday night service so he could really experience the pressure. Presumably he only means to observe, not participate, but I wonder what he'd say if a chef asked to sit in the dressing room or the dugout during a cup final.

Still, if they are ok then it's a good thing.

With a chef he has numerous other people coming in & out of the kitchen all the time (servers, managers etc) & as you say, he wants to do a busy Friday night service, which to me makes it sound like he's not been in there while it's been really hectic, so probably been a weekday lunch service & depending on when this happened, I would expect it would of been Josh Eggleton who is a Bristol chef who has a Michelin star & helped out with the executive menu for the new restaurants in The Lansdown Stand.

As for the doctors / nurses side of things, he could of just been in the background during a GP's surgery, like a student does & that's why he's said he would like to do a busy A&E department to again, see the professional under their most extreme pressure.

But on saying this, it could of been something he did while he was trying to achieve his badges or while he was managing Oldham or Barnsley & he may not have those contracts down here.

Archived