IGNORED

The Guardian - The Knowledge

Bristol Rob

Someone has asked the question ' Newcastle's comeback against Norwich last week, has a team ever come back to win after scoring an equaliser as late as the 95th minute?'

Which made me wonder what time the goals went in against Mansfield in the 5-4 away victory (in 2002 I think), just had a quick look and whilst I can see a couple of match reports, I can't find the goal times.

Anyone know?

37 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Someone has asked the question ' Newcastle's comeback against Norwich last week, has a team ever come back to win after scoring an equaliser as late as the 95th minute?'

Which made me wonder what time the goals went in against Mansfield in the 5-4 away victory (in 2002 I think), just had a quick look and whilst I can see a couple of match reports, I can't find the goal times.

Anyone know?

First part of the post - surely that's happened quite a few times down the years? 

Also, I much prefer the old days where the injury time goals on ceefax were all lumped together in the 90th minute. Looks more dramatic for me than 90+5

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Oh my God! I have just noticed in that report that Darrell Clarke was playing in that game as well as the Hartlepool play off game! 

No wonder he hates us so much :) 

Clarke 5 - Not mobile enough for midfield :clapping:

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Oh my God! I have just noticed in that report that Darrell Clarke was playing in that game as well as the Hartlepool play off game! 

So he played for the team that sent his current team down to the non league whilst wearing his current teams away kit?

11 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

First part of the post - surely that's happened quite a few times down the years? 

Also, I much prefer the old days where the injury time goals on ceefax were all lumped together in the 90th minute. Looks more dramatic for me than 90+5

May well have happened a few times, the only game that sprang to mind for me was the Mansfield come back.

Would have thought that fans of other clubs are having similar debates to this one!

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

So this is where his obsession started!

19 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Biggest regrets being a City fan; not being at this game, or Bradford 0-6 last year.

Mansfield was hilarious. Typical Wilson team performance. Shades of brilliance and shades of utter shambles. Quite a few people had walked out at 4-2. Those last few minutes were the maddest limbs I've ever experienced and that includes the play off games home and away. 

Remember being verbally abused by Mansfield fans as we walked out for cheating. It wasn't as if at 4-4 they threw the ball to back of the stand to waste time. Time the ref added on to allow Roberts to score the 5th :facepalm:

I can't remember if Foster ever played but I can remember he managed to hit a small girl in the face with the ball whilst warming up before that match. To his credit he rushed over to make sure she was alright.

That game was the closest I ever came to leaving early. After that I won't even consider it!

12 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Mansfield was hilarious. Typical Wilson team performance. Shades of brilliance and shades of utter shambles. Quite a few people had walked out at 4-2. Those last few minutes were the maddest limbs I've ever experienced and that includes the play off games home and away. 

Remember being verbally abused by Mansfield fans as we walked out for cheating. It wasn't as if at 4-4 they threw the ball to back of the stand to waste time. Time the ref added on to allow Roberts to score the 5th :facepalm:

It caused some involuntary break dancing or similar? 

• Admin

Before reading the below match report, there are two interesting (but sad) facts from this:

We had 27 shots - 18 on target in the game (sounds like Rotherham again)

We also put 5 past them in the return fixture - beating them 5-2 in the following April 

BristolC.jpg
Nationwide League Division 2
BristolC.jpg
Mansfield Town  
4 - 5
 Bristol City
Corden 38, 68, Christie 62, 76

Murray 39, Roberts 50, 90 (+6)<BR>Tinnion 87 (pen), Lita 90 (+5).
Attendance: 4,801 (1348 from Bristol City)

Date: 23rd November 2002

The Stags were without on-loan striker Colin Little, who joined Bobby Hassell and Allen Tankard on the injury list. City were without former Stags star Lee Peacock who picked up a serious facial injury in an FA Cup tie last weekend. 

As befitted the league position of the two sides, it was the visitors who started stronger, forcing a succession of corners which in the main were dealt with well by the Stags defence. Butler did win one header from a corner but found Pilkington well placed. In fact, very much against the run of play it was the Stags who created by far the best early chance. Christie broke through the City defence only to see his shot hit the legs of City keeper Phillips and rebound to Lawrence who with the goal at his mercy also hit his shot at Phillips, the ball then spun away towards Larkin who just couldn't hook the ball back towards goal. Slowly the Stags came into the game and as the half wore on became the dominant side, Christie, looking mennacing again, forcing a decent save from Phillips just past the half hour. Williamson was controversially booked for an innocuous foul on Murray, the City player clearly feigning injury until the referee cautioned the Stags player, then skipping to his feet immediately afterwards. The Stags took the lead on 38 minutes, Wayne Corden put clear on the left and after turning inside his defender fired an unstoppable shot past the keeper. The Stags' joy was very short lived, in fact less than a minute, as Roberts broke clear on the right and whilst Pilkington saved his first effort the ball rebounded straight back to Murray who blasted home - symptomatic of the way things go when you're at the bottom. 

Half Time 1-1 

The Stags defence was caught square just 5 minutes into the 2nd half as Beadle flicked on for the impressive Roberts to score. The Stags were clearly rocked by this early set-back and for a while became disjointed and looked vulnerable to conceding another - only a great save from Pilkington denied Beadle, the keeper managed to grasp the ball at the 2nd attempt. However, the Stags were soon back level when a short corner saw Williamson put in a fine cross, Lever headed the ball back across goal where Christie headed home. The Stags were lifted and again began playing exciting attacking football. this was rewarded on 68 minutes when Lawrence was tripped in the area, the Assistant Referee's flag confirmed the Referee's decision to award the kick. City players were furious with the decision, one grabbing hold of Lawrence by the neck and soon other players became involved in a melee. Punches were clearly thrown by two City players yet both only received yellow cards, however, worse for the Stags was that Williamson had needlessly got himself involved and received his 2nd yellow card of the game. How often has it happened that the side winning a penalty is the one reduced to ten men?? The Stags had missed their last 3 spot kicks so it was no surprise when Corden fired a poor penalty straight at Phillips, however, the ball rebounded back to the Stags winger who finished well. The Stags were forced to reshuffle, Jervis replaced Larkin as they switched to a 4-4-1 formation, with Christie on his own in attack. The Stags seemed comfortable with this formation and on 76 minutes it looked as though the points were safe when Christie picked the ball up on the right, cut inside and curled a superb low left foot shot past the helpless Phillips. The Stags dropped deeper and deeper but seemed to be coping well with everything an increasingly desperate City threw at them. However, the visitors were handed a lifeline with just 3 minutes remaining when Jervis went into a reckless challenge inside his own area to conced a penalty which Tinnion converted. The board for injury time came up displaying 5 minutes, much to the disbelief of most home fans. However, the Stags survived the 5 minutes when, with what most thought must have been the final attack of the game, Lita headed home a Bell cross. Pilkington was booked for preventing a City player reclaiming the ball, but over 6 minutes of injury time had now elapsed so surely it was over and a point each. However, Mr Ilderton thought differently and allowed City one more attack, which given the Stags standard of defending and miserable run of luck, was all that was needed, Roberts bursting through to steal the points. 

Rarely have I left a game so angry and so dejected - for vast periods the Stags were the better side and fully deserved the 4-2 lead going into what we thought were the final 3 minutes. However, the defensive frailty which means we have by far the worst defensive record in the Country, struck again and another otherwise fine performance was ruined. Liam Lawrence continued his excellent run of form and Wayne Corden looks back to his best, however, Iyseden Christie was again the Stags best player, scored twice and threatened all afternoon. Sadly, its other areas of the pitch which could ultmately cost the Stags their new found place in Division 2. 

Man of the Match: Iyseden Christie

Report by: Rob Wheldon

2 hours ago, Tomarse said:

I also remember Mansfield fans singing 'can we play you every week' when it went to 4-2. 

I was on a CATS coach that day. The Mansfield fans really weren't happy after the final whistle and it was tense in the car park - so much so that the policeman in charge of match day policing stepped onto our coach and said 'the next person to make any sort of hand gestures to the Mansfield fans is nicked'. 

2 hours ago, Super said:

Foster our sub keeper? Can't say I remember him.

against mansfield I think it was Boaz Myhill, I remember him booting the ball into the crowd in the warm up hitting a little girl in the face, but then that may of been Wrexham away,

• Admin
34 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

against mansfield I think it was Boaz Myhill, I remember him booting the ball into the crowd in the warm up hitting a little girl in the face, but then that may of been Wrexham away,

Reckon it was Rectum away, this was the Mansfield line up

Phillips; Coles (Lita 80), Butler, Hill; Murray, Burnell, Tinnion, A. Brown (Rosenior 48), Bell; Roberts, Beadle.

Subs: Clist, Fortune, Foster.

Archived