IGNORED

What kind of music were city playing when you first went to Ashton Gate?

Midred

Another attempt to beat the international break boredom led me  to try to remember the music that seemed to be always played before the match - apart from "Red, red robin" which the team ran out to. We shared this with a few other teams from my memory. In the mid '60's the club were fairly safe with their music and sourced most of it from the light programme, radio 2, for the younger under 50's amongst you. Two songs that told you that you were near the ground were - Trinny Lopez - "If I had a hammer" and Andy Williams - "Can't take my eyes off of you". I don't  remember many rolling Stones songs! Any others from this time or what was played when you first went? 

back in the late sixties when half time entertainment started i remember one time when a rock group played in the rain the lead guitarist suddenly started to dance in a  frantic  

way the crowd began to cheer the more they cheered the more frantic his dance. it took some time for someone to pull the plug.   poor chap had quite a shock but he got a big cheer

The Liquidator in the early 90's remains my favourite.

There was a spell when I think Simply the Best mayhave been used which was cringe inducing.

I also remember a time when Scot Davidson spent a small fortune installing speaker stacks around the ground to drum up more atmosphere. I think we ran out to the theme from Space Odessey 2001. That lasted one match.

As already stated what sticks in my mind is congratulations by Cliff.

Also they used to play "Those lazy hazy crazy days of summer" normally on a freezing night in February.

"Pigbag" by Pigbag was also played a lot in the early 80s.

6 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

The Liquidator in the early 90's remains my favourite.

There was a spell when I think Simply the Best mayhave been used which was cringe inducing.

I also remember a time when Scot Davidson spent a small fortune installing speaker stacks around the ground to drum up more atmosphere. I think we ran out to the theme from Space Odessey 2001. That lasted one match.

I remember the stack speakers only used for one game , Watford I think . The speakers was going to be used to play music when City scored, the match ended 0 0.

However during the match City came very close to scoring and it was one of those shots when the ball hits the side netting and you think it's gone in , so the man on the speakers blasted out about two seconds of music and then quickly followed by pressing the mute button.

3 minutes ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

I too remember cliff being played when we won, but what was played when we didn't win at the end of the match in the mid - late 80s? 

Back then all you would of heard was the sound of booing , slow hand claps , fans singing what a load of rubbish and the banging of wooden seats in the Dolman.Hapy Days

The Carpenters, especially "Top of the World"  Remember being stood in the Enclosure in the rain during an evening match (think it was Carlisle but not sure) looking up watching the rain coming off the floodlights at the Eastend.

Great days when people did not complain about getting wet at matches and it was O.K even if the food was not gourmet standard.  

2 hours ago, NOTBLUE said:

Congratulations,by Cliff Richards,when we won, obviously .

Was going to say this and The Red Red Robin, in my early days (late 60's early 70's) they rarely played anything up to date, I am sure they used to play Mr Mills or Russ Conway type piano stuff and one I do remember hearing a lot was this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wldcc8uxMLU

Archived