IGNORED

What kind of music were city playing when you first went to Ashton Gate?

Midred

11 hours ago, Offside said:

I'd forgotten about that single! I used to play it all the time as well when I was a boy and loved the crowd chants at the end of the songs. It might still be at my parents' house somewhere - I'll have to try to dig it out.

Very fond memories of Congratulations and Top of the World being played - part of very vivid memories I have of going to AG in the early 80s, along with the smell of the pitch combined with cigarette/cigar smoke and the sound of the lone guy in the Williams Stand (then called the Grandstand) shouting "Come on you reds" at the top of his vouce.

Add to that ,

linament, 

beer breath,

piss ,

bovril ,

Brut 33 clinging on from Friday night. 

36 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Talking of which, I detected a little herb in the air last Saturday outside the Winterstate Road entrance. Nawty Nawty. ..

You can't bring yourself to say 'stoke' after that 2000 Wembley defeat,eh Robbo?

Understandable, Winterstate Road it is.:yes:

I remember Rockin' Robin being played a lot in the top flight days. I cannot recall what was played when I first went to a game aged nearly 8 v Sheff Wed in 1970, had it been Rockin' Robin back then I am sure I would have thought it referred to the robin reliant 3 wheelers that used to park behind the touch lines at the time and was a way of warning the owners that strong gales were on the way.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You can't bring yourself to say 'stoke' after that 2000 Wembley defeat,eh Robbo?

Understandable, Winterstate Road it is.:yes:

Yes I have had my phone altered so it never mentions the larger team from the Potteries. Now stop stating up trouble!  ;)

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

It was Al Jolson on Aizoon's first visit to AG:)

P.S. Jolson was singing live!

Your Honour,

Guilty as charged, although In mitigation, I'm on holiday in Cornwall where the internet is seasonal,  so didn't read the whole thread before posting.

I confess this isn't a first offence, so  previous similar offences should be taken into consideration when passing sentence.

Your humble servant,

Downend 

12 minutes ago, downendcity said:
2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Hello officer , I'd like to report à kidnapped joke ...

Your Honour,

Guilty as charged, although In mitigation, I'm on holiday in Cornwall where the internet is seasonal,  so didn't read the whole thread before posting.

I confess this isn't a first offence, so  previous similar offences should be taken into consideration when passing sentence.

Your humble servant,

Downend 

FAO... @JulieH  (for joint AVSOM & DEVON/CORNWALL investigation)

JUSTICE FOR THE MAJOR!!!  :protest:

On 05/10/2016 at 19:30, Kodjias Wrist said:

Anyone remember the eatsleep football drink coca cola adverts pre match in the early 2000s?

Were they the ones that were filmed at grounds? They filmed one at Doncaster when we played there, it was a freezing cold evening match and the singers were turning blue with the cold.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned this little musical monstrosity.

It seemed this dragged on WAAAAAAAAAAY beyond it's early eighties release date, it might be my memory but even into the early nineties (maybe it was ironic, the 'DJ' takes one look around the stadium each game and thinks, I know?!) when all of a sudden I am expecting this or similar tosh again and SL2 on a raga tip comes on.  I know, I know, but it's all relative!

5 hours ago, kivsy said:

A couple of songs at the gate , ring a bell.  You're so vain , Carly Simon ?   And whole lot of loving going on.  God knows who sung that.    I do remember Belinha Carlisle blaring out at griffin park after we won 4 nil 

You`re So Vain definitely. I`d forgotten that until you mentioned it but it was popular down the Gate.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I wouldn`t mind if we went back to playing Pigbag TBH. It always used to get the crowd going and I think Simon Underwood from The Pop Group was a major driver in the band so a Bristol connection too.

Fabulous bass player. At the time Pigbag were generally regarded as a Bristol band, not least by John Peel, who played their records endlessly. And we City fans adopted 'Papa's...' as a terrace chant in '81, long before the likes of Boro and QPR. 

On 05/10/2016 at 22:48, slartibartfast said:

Anyone remember the announcer who must have been there for 40 years....Dennis Langley ?

I remember Dennis Langley, a really dull and boring voice and him playing The Carpenters 'Top of the World' at every home game. I also remember a really awful song 'play the game boys' or something like that?

On 10/5/2016 at 20:57, redysteadygo said:

1956 it was a brass band, may have been Salvation Army, but I'm sure they  were from Eastville.

In the late 1980s (early 90s?) I remember a marching brass band playing at half time & some poor chap in the band collapsed. Announcement mid-way during the second half that he'd passed away. Rest of the game seemed pointless after that.

Sorry to drag it down a notch...........

On 10/7/2016 at 23:19, finbarr_in_z said:

In the late 1980s (early 90s?) I remember a marching brass band playing at half time & some poor chap in the band collapsed. Announcement mid-way during the second half that he'd passed away. Rest of the game seemed pointless after that.

Sorry to drag it down a notch...........

I tthink hat was the drummer at the forest littlewoods cup semi final. I remember everyone laughing at his pratfall followed by a strange silence when people figured out something serious had happened. Followed by a round of applause as he was carried from the pitch to the ambulance.

I don't remember his death being announced at the game; it might have been as you recall but I doubt that would have given the authorities time to inform next of kin.

I think there might have been a collection at one of the following home games.

Definitely a sad episode and definately one to put the importance of sport into proper perspective. 

On Friday, October 07, 2016 at 22:13, Psycho Glenn said:

I remember Dennis Langley, a really dull and boring voice and him playing The Carpenters 'Top of the World' at every home game. I also remember a really awful song 'play the game boys' or something like that?

Yes I remember "play the game" as well. Truly terrible. It's stuck in my head now.

Archived