IGNORED

Best footballer you have seen live

MC RISK77

Messi is the most talented I've seen, although it was in a friendly which he strolled through at barely first gear.

Although not quite at the same level as some of the names mentioned, Henrik Larsson was a stupendously good footballer that I was privileged to see play a number of times. All round he is one of the most perfect players I've seen at his peak; technical, quick, great in the air, intelligent.. Matched with an incredible temperament. He could have graced any club side in the world at one point.

I think every one of us that has been lucky enough to witness real top level players will testify that it can be an absolute joy to see, up close, how they play the game.

Probably Kenny Dalglish at AG, late 1970s.

As a grown-up, difficult to say who was best out of Henry, Bergkamp and Pires in a 2-2 draw at Anfield some years back.  How Liverpool got a 2-2 that night, god knows.  The three players were on a different level to anyone else, and so in sync with each other.

Mostovoi of Celta Vigo was tasty too.  Liverpool couldn't get close to him.

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Didn't he score 4 goals against us in one game? A really intelligent player in his prime.

He got 3 in a 4-1 win.

Just to take the piss I think Millwall's other scorer that day went on to sign for us and was one of the worst centre halves I've seen, Dave Thompson.

Your memory can often play tricks on you and you can think someone was a lot better (or worse) based on their reputation. The 2 greatest players I've seen live were probably Hagi and Scifo. Though they certainly weren't at their peak when I watched them. 

Very jealous of anyone who saw Maradona play for Napoli '85-89

1 hour ago, samo II said:

Samuel Eto'o in his last game for Mallocra in a friendly against City down the Gate.

Even though it was a friendly, and even though we were League One side at the time, his effortless skill and intensity in what was a non-competitive match was phenomenal.

You could see his fellow players enjoyed playing with him, and I've no doubt they were inspired by him.

Might have been enhanced by the context, but his performance certainly stuck with me.

Ditto, was phenominal that day. We were thrashed but still actually played really well that day. They were just a different class.

Standing ovation when he scored his third goal,by far the best player I've seen live.

Falcao, playing for Roma at Wrexham. Wrexham did everything the underdogs should, closing down, trying to stop Roma playing, but Falcao managed to find acres of space, with a perfect first touch and vision, he just ran the game.

i was also going to say Ruud Gullit in that friendly at City: he was just awesome, just strolling around in front of the back 4, picking up every loose ball and spraying 50 yard passes wherever he wanted. I was also lucky enough to see him in his younger days, playing in the San Siro for Milan, alongside Van Basten and Rijkjard. Brilliant.

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

against us id say liam brady circ 78-80

stan collymore 93

graham rix 88

Glad I'm not the only one who recalls Collymore back then. What a humongous waste of a tallent. 

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Best I've seen, was probably Cantona when he was at Leeds.

Best I've seen in a City shirt was probably Jacki.

Best opposing player I've seen at Ashton Gate was probably either LuaLua (when he was at Colchester) or that Suàrez bloke who played for Ajax.

I reserve the right to change my mind on this. I went with first thoughts rather than considered opinion!

Eric cantona for man Utd v Wimbledon in 96....completely ran the show.

David Ginola v Wimbledon in 98......destroyed Ben Thatcher (who ended up getting sent off) and was by far the best player I saw that season. (I was a season ticket holder at Wimbledon growing up when they played at selhurst park)

I haven't watched many internationals live and certainly not one where anyone stood out levels above the rest. So in City games I remember the best individual performance I remember was Tom Cleverley when he was on loan at Watford in the game at the Gate, ran the show for Watford on that occasion. So maybe not the best player, but the most impressive performance in the game around him.

Archived