IGNORED

RIP Gerry Gow

cider head

Wonderful memories. It goes back to a time when if a player anywhere near to Gow went down then you were certain that they'd been tackled/fouled. Nowadays players would be throwing themselves to the ground or waving the white flag if he came within six feet of them! Basically they were tough but (mostly) honest.

19 minutes ago, S_Y_G said:

My sympathies to his family and friends and those upset by today's news.  I never saw him play against rovers, fractionally before my time.  But I have a strange recollection of always getting him in those cards you got with fake cigarettes, and having to keep swapping!   Some Interesting memories in the link below.

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/8325/gerry-gow

Nice to see the nice things they say, I must say their memories of Frankie "the poison dwarf" Prince are far different from mine. 

7 hours ago, Aizoon said:

I can answer that. In those days, Scotland had a lunatic policy of limiting the number of "Anglos" in the team*.

* That's why they didn't take Alan Hansen to Argentina :o

Not sure that's entirely true chief.....of the 22 man squad that Scotland took to the 1978 World Cup in Argentina, 15 of them played for English clubs, including Liverpool players.

Hansen wasn't considered for the Scotland team until mid 1979 when he made his debut. He was famously left out of Scotland's squad for the 1986 World Cup when Alex Ferguson was in charge, and Hansen was arguably at his peak then. A crazy decision!

Gerry Gow should have won way more than just one Scotland U23 cap - he was the business at the top level in England, and he would never have let Scotland down.

13 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not sure that's entirely true chief.....of the 22 man squad that Scotland took to the 1978 World Cup in Argentina, 15 of them played for English clubs, including Liverpool players.

Hansen wasn't considered for the Scotland team until mid 1979 when he made his debut. He was famously left out of Scotland's squad for the 1986 World Cup when Alex Ferguson was in charge, and Hansen was arguably at his peak then. A crazy decision!

Gerry Gow should have won way more than just one Scotland U23 cap - he was the business at the top level in England, and he would never have let Scotland down.

I do remember vaguely that the Scottish FA were seriously pissed off at what they saw as English clubs poaching their best players and implied that if players stayed in Scotland that would be looked on favourably when the national team was picked.

Gerry was the benchmark by which I've judged all our subsequent midfielders. Never equalled, let alone surpassed. Simply the best. 

If only some of the nation's current midfielders could show a fraction of Gerry's combative spirit and commitment to the cause. Left every ounce of his energy on the pitch, never shirked a challenge, never gave up. A fighter, winner and leader, he defined the very best of Bristol City Football Club for me, on and off the field. 

The word 'Legend' is banded around all to frequently, often for players who've made limited contributions. This man, though, was a true Bristol City legend. RIP Gerry, the Club won't feel quite the same anymore. 

The only City player mentioned by Half Man Half Biscuit?

You’re so beige
I bet you think this song’s about someone else
Standard Liège
See how it all unfolds when I try to include you?
I’ll fit you in some day, somehow
A thousand words but not right now
I’ve got a few lines on Gerry Gow
I had three in one packet in ’78
I went back to the shop in a manner irate
Newsagent said: “Have you got a two pence piece?”
I said: “Yes”
He said: “Go and ring someone who cares”

19 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I do remember vaguely that the Scottish FA were seriously pissed off at what they saw as English clubs poaching their best players and implied that if players stayed in Scotland that would be looked on favourably when the national team was picked.

I do sort of remember them saying that too but in practice they didn't follow up on that......their 1978 World Cup squad had 3 Rangers players, 3 Aberdeen players and 1 Partick Thistle player, the other 15 were from English clubs and their starting 11 in their first game vs Peru had 8 players from English clubs in it...

2 hours ago, Olé said:

An alternative version simplified a little for t-shirt. Needs a little more work to reduce the number of colours to be cost-effective (and to incorporate any feedback and suggestions, bearing in mind I never saw this guy play). If no one else is doing anything happy to work with @Sargent Pepper to get some produced, else happy to defer if people here or up the Three Lions have anything underway already using one of the prior flag designs.

GerryGow-SouthBristol-Mockup2-OTIB.png

Well done I really like that. How about number 4 on the back of the t-shirt?

Shocked and extremely saddened when I heard the news today. I couldn't have seen the man play more than about 20 times but 1000 games later and no ball winning midfielder has come close. Thrust the title 'legend' on someone and it's meaningless, but to recognise means everything.

RIP.

3 hours ago, Olé said:

An alternative version simplified a little for t-shirt. Needs a little more work to reduce the number of colours to be cost-effective (and to incorporate any feedback and suggestions, bearing in mind I never saw this guy play). If no one else is doing anything happy to work with @Sargent Pepper to get some produced, else happy to defer if people here or up the Three Lions have anything underway already using one of the prior flag designs.

Superb stuff Sir! As someone else said, with number 4 on the back this would be a winner!

Only just caught this thread, sad sad news. My dad took me to the Gate for my first game when I was 6 and as someone brought up on the Big Match on a Sunday afternoon then straight down the local park with a couple of mates and a ball, nobody needed any encouragement to be Gerry Gow. 

I can't post anything different to what's been said already but this has brought tears to my eyes, never met the great man but privileged to have see him play - and boy could he play!

Any City fan with any feeling, wherever they are, raise a pint and toast possibly the finest - Gerry Gow!

To the Gow family from the City family...

3 hours ago, Olé said:

Nice. That said, more fitting tribute to me is that one of him pointing at that Gas player. Any still available?

34 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Nice. That said, more fitting tribute to me is that one of him pointing at that Gas player. Any still available?

36 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

IMG_8973.JPG

Got the great man's autograph when the promotion side of 76 were presented at half time vs Oxford (I think) to commemorate the achievement twenty years on.

My dad proudly pointed out each of the players and made sure I got Gerry's autograph as we were sat by the old tunnel in the Williams. When he was announced onto the pitch the noise level shot up with his chant echoing around the Gate. 

I was never lucky enough to see him play but fortunate to meet the man. A true City legend. 

My eldest brother has lived in Plymouth since he left the navy back in the 70's. Last night he told me that he once went to see City play Plymouth in  pre-season with a mate of his who was a Plymouth fan. Half way through the second half Gow came over to the touchline to bawl out Brian Drysdale for a misplaced pass. My brothers mate said "wow! it's only a friendly FFS!" My brother replied "Thats Gow for you, I don't think he understands the concept!" 

14 hours ago, Olé said:

I would have replied yesterday but like others I could not do so via a smart phone, has that glitch been resolved i wonder?

Anyway, may i be so bold as to suggest you insert Gerry Gow in small size font between large GOW and the dates?

I would run it left to right, all the way along i.e. same length as large Gow but with same size font as those dates.

Everybody would usually say Gerry Gow instead of Gow; it has a lot more gravitas as well in my opinion. Especially when you read it thus:

Gow, Gerry Gow. ..

Like Bond, James Bond or Bosley, John Bosley... much richer, fitting and respectful for the man in my humble opinion. 

p.s. if you do I'll buy two. :)

p.p.s. I think he currently looks a bit too much like Clive Whitehead.. maybe make his hair a touch longer, a tad scruffier and definitely not symmetrical. And maybe tone his eyes down a bit.. look a bit too menacing!! A great job though Olé.

Ok struggled with this one because I'm gutted and two because I can't respond on my mobile.

Several have mentioned the word Legend and many have mentioned the overuse of the word in the past.

My view is that Gerry Gow is the definition of 'Legend' I grew up with Gerry in the team and when he left the decline was rapid.

I'm absolutely gutted by the news that came out yesterday and come the Blackburn game any tribute on the day will never be enough for this true true Legend.

RIP Gerry. 

Gone but never forgotten.

16 hours ago, Olé said:

I think this looks fantastic. As I'm sure @Olé is aware the extra colours will add considerably to the price (and therefore the donation to the charity) though. 

I am more than happy to hand over the reigns of this project to someone more educated in this department or with the means to produce this if anyone is interested. It was just an idea to honour the great man and make some money for a worthy cause. 

41 minutes ago, Sargent Pepper said:

I think this looks fantastic. As I'm sure @Olé is aware the extra colours will add considerably to the price (and therefore the donation to the charity) though. 

I am more than happy to hand over the reigns of this project to someone more educated in this department or with the means to produce this if anyone is interested. It was just an idea to honour the great man and make some money for a worthy cause. 

I've got it down to a 4 colour print on red, which is the cheapest it could reasonably go while looking decent. Printing '4' on the back would cost further still. I'll have a look at @havanatopia suggested improvements at some stage today, but to your point, would be good to see who is able to help organise. I could arrange the printing as well but being in London a bit pointless for me to actually receive and hold the stock, as that much harder for me to get these to the game, plus may be a better opportunity for someone local to shift them if they're in Bristol 24/7. Also, can't help but feel that there may be better connected people who could shift more anyway (Supporters Trust, etc) or even who could seek permission of the family. Any offers?

As I don't want this to start distracting from the tributes, condolences and memories, feel free to PM me and I will create a PM group to discuss. 

Archived