IGNORED

Concerts!

Silvio Dante

7 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

B*witched - sadly - are too big for AG. If it's only 32,000 for gigs it just wouldn't be fair on the countless thousands left without tickets. 

Madness would be a decent shout. Massive Attack would be a no go after doing Bristol  this year. 

Foight like yer dad to get one? 

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

To be fair Reg, Madness did the County Ground this year as well.

Very few bands can or could sell 32,000 tickets. Not at a premium price.

Any'd need to find a promoter who wants to risk their money in an untried stadium. Reckon we'll end up with someone who will sell 'the lower bowl and pitch' - circa 15,000 

Madness was last year - I should know as I was there! 

7 hours ago, The Bard said:

S Club 3.  How must it feel to be less than half of something so sh***?

Not as embarrassing as miming at Yate shopping centre in the middle of November to turn on the Christmas lights.

I wonder if S Club 4 are doing Times Square this year!? Or New Year in Sydney. 

• Admin
14 hours ago, RedM said:

Anyone who is scheduled to play at Glasto is a good bet, previously both George Ezra and Kaiser Chiefs played the amphitheatre at Bristol a day or two before I saw them at Glasto.  

That's the the key though, unless it is part of a bigger tour, the Glasto connection only tends to be those bands travelling past en route

Randomly saw Franz Ferdinand on the The Thekla in one of these "gigs"

1 hour ago, phantom said:

That's the the key though, unless it is part of a bigger tour, the Glasto connection only tends to be those bands travelling past en route

Randomly saw Franz Ferdinand on the The Thekla in one of these "gigs"

I think Glastonbury headliners could be a good reputation builder for the venue.  It's convenient for them, in terms of location and timing, and gives us a chance to show what we can lay on.  I agree (if i read you right) that at this stage, getting an established band as part of a big tour is going to be a big ask until we've established some sort of reputation for a live concert venue.

7 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I know, I know. You`ve got to have a dream though haven`t you?

Paul Weller has said there is 'not enough money in the world' for him to reform The Jam. Unless, of course, Steve Lansdown knows better :fingerscrossed:

On balance though, I think I agree with Weller. The Jam's gig at the Locarno in 1980 on the Sound Affects tour remains one of the finest shows of my life. Best not to devalue that.

On 17/10/2016 at 21:04, CyderInACan said:

B*witched - sadly - are too big for AG. If it's only 32,000 for gigs it just wouldn't be fair on the countless thousands left without tickets. 

Madness would be a decent shout. Massive Attack would be a no go after doing Bristol  this year. 

Have you been talking to gashes that like B*witched?

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

Glastonbury headliners are a hard sell - yes they are big names but with most fans of said bands having tickets for Glastonbury how do you get them to shell out again for another gig in the same area?

You tell them there is a free tent for them to use in Horfield for the period between the concert and the festival.

Ideally it won't matter who they get in, the promoter will come up with a big lump of cash to book the venue, offer some sort of concession split and all the risk is on their side, so if they sell out or sell 50 tickets the club are quids in from the start.

Once the venue is established as being live-music friendly then they can probably take a few more chances and accept some of the risk in favor of a bigger slice of any potential reward.

4 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Forgot to suggest as well, Queen with Adam Lambert.

I saw Queen (Roger Taylor and Brian May) with Paul Rodgers from Free a few years ago at Brum NIA. Brian was literally 10 feet from me. One of the best concerts I've ever seen.

Sept they did the NYE show on the Beeb a year or two ago and were amazing. The singer was a strutting, confident, magnificent frontman and, whilst no Freddie, they were a joy to watch. 

• Admin
5 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Sept they did the NYE show on the Beeb a year or two ago and were amazing. The singer was a strutting, confident, magnificent frontman and, whilst no Freddie, they were a joy to watch. 

This, saw them at the O2 last year, and they were amazing.

9 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Forgot to suggest as well, Queen with Adam Lambert.

I saw Queen (Roger Taylor and Brian May) with Paul Rodgers from Free a few years ago at Brum NIA. Brian was literally 10 feet from me. One of the best concerts I've ever seen.

I've not seen them live, but against all my beliefs about bands carrying on without key members, I'm certainly glad they were able to get together and perform those songs. They still need to be sung live, Brian May etc need to perform. I'm happy they have found a way. I would have loved to have seen Queen live. 

15 hours ago, Pezo said:

Glastonbury headliners are a hard sell - yes they are big names but with most fans of said bands having tickets for Glastonbury how do you get them to shell out again for another gig in the same area?

Listen mate, Des O'Connor fans would walk a million miles for one of his smiles... time and time again.

(ps  just checked DO'C is still alive and working at 84)

44 minutes ago, RedM said:

I've not seen them live, but against all my beliefs about bands carrying on without key members, I'm certainly glad they were able to get together and perform those songs. They still need to be sung live, Brian May etc need to perform. I'm happy they have found a way. I would have loved to have seen Queen live. 

*still hurts to think about that brilliant Mott The Hoople gig at the Colston Hall '74ish ... Queen were the backing band, a little known bunch of hairy students, gave 'em five mins before deciding to hit the bar for a couple of beers while waiting for Mott .... duh!  ... if only we'd known.

Archived