IGNORED

The Queens Park Rangers v Bristol City Match Day Thread

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

This is without doubt the saddest match day thread I have ever written. I have no possibility to even begin to study and research our opposition this evening. Clearly you will all ask why that should be.

Yesterday at 0730 UK time my 95 year old father died. 

Dad was a Burma RAF veteran who served as a Corporal Radio operator directing the Bristol Beaufighters in to bomb the Japanese positions in what ultimately became the longest battle of the Second World War; The Imphal Kohima campaign. Relatively little was written about this long struggle yet the victory that ultimately followed turned the tide of the war in Asia. My father, although one might consider had a great innings, was taken a little before I wanted him to go. He also wanted that letter from the Queen and I wanted to write his memoirs.

He was a life long Bristol City fan. Let us win tonight and win promotion for him, for Gerry Gow for all those who will not see the promised land again.

God bless everyone and god bless my Dad. I miss him too much already; back to Blighty it is for me next week and I shall watch a City match as a result entirely in his honour.

Love to all.

Rich.

Hav, condolences to you and your family on your father's passing. And thank you for that beautiful post at a difficult time.

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 1

Good day everyone,

This is without doubt the saddest match day thread I have ever written. I have no possibility to even begin to study and research our opposition this evening. Clearly you will all ask why that should be.

Dad was a Burma RAF veteran who served as a Corporal Radio operator directing the Bristol Beaufighters in to bomb the Japanese positions in what ultimately became the longest battle of the Second World War; The Imphal Kohima campaign. Relatively little was written about this long struggle yet the victory that ultimately followed turned the tide of the war in Asia. My father, although one might consider had a great innings, was taken a little before I wanted him to go. He also wanted that letter from the Queen and I wanted to write his memoirs.

He was a life long Bristol City fan. Let us win tonight and win promotion for him, for Gerry Gow for all those who will not see the promised land again.

God bless everyone and god bless my Dad. I miss him too much already; back to Blighty it is for me next week and I shall watch a City match as a result entirely in his honour.

Love to all.

Rich.

Condensed version.

Very sad news . Match day thread of no importance.

Condolences Rich.

• Like 1

So sorry to hear of your Father passing away Hav, Sincere condolences, we recently lost a good friend who died at the same age, he came through the Second world War with Russia and was also in the Russia/ Finnish War. A few years ago while out for a walk with his wife a drunk fell into him on the pavement and he hit his head against the ground, although he recovered he was never the same again. It's very sad that after all he went through and survived that a simple accident should have finished him, even though it took a few years.  Once again, my sincere condolences and I know that like us you will always remember what he did in his life and that he was a great Father to you.  

@havanatopia please accept my deepest condolences. Emotionally you must be all over the place, it's always a shock to suddenly have the realisation that a loved one has gone. Look after yourself and it's OK to cry and laugh, feel angry, sad, or just be numb and feel not much at all.

I'm sure he will be in a better place looking down and sat amongst friends and fellow reds during matches. 

Take care. M x

Thoughts are with you, Rich.  Your father's life sounds like it was full of incredible moments and unforgettable experiences.  I'm sure you will still write his memoirs and your father will be with you every step of the way.

City to win tonight 2-0.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Edited by reddogkev

Condolences to you & your family!!

My Father was taken away 11 years ago today, time does dilute the hurt but it never truly goes & I don't think I or anyone else who has been in a similar position would truly want that pain to totally disappear as it would feel like letting go of your memories completely & no one wants or expects that to happen.

Time for every little thing that happens to remind you in one way or another of your Father, who sounds like a truly amazing gentleman & someone who you can be proud of forever.

Take care & just let time take it's course, there is no limit on the time it takes for you to mourn your loss & no one should ever try to force that issue!!

• Like 4
2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

Love to all.

Rich.

Sad news Rich. Sounds like a great old fella. My dad did some time in Burma, horrible place during wartime. May they rest in peace with the rest of the  heroes.

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

Love to all.

Rich.

Thanks to the selfless sacrifices that people like your Dad we are waiting excitedly for a football match in freedom .

You are a diamond to think of your OTIB family in your moment of loss . I'm sure everyone will echo these sentiments and wish you strength and courage in these difficult times .

Condolences to you and your loved ones . As you say your Dad had a good innings but it is always too soon to say goodbye .

• Like 8