IGNORED

877 tickets left for Blackburn

DavidNoble

I found it hard giving away my tickets, in the end it was - meh I'll come and see what it was like from family members.

As for the ticketing, well there will be lot's of gaps as people will have relocated to sit with their guest for the game.

The Lansdown ticketing is weird, if we are going to open it up for large games then we need the whole thing open and let people choose where they sit, forcing people to sit somewhere due to scarcity and then opening up another block, or rows within the block that you may have preferred is just stupid. I don't think my guest will likely go again as it;s not really their thing, but if they had been genuinely interested then the bad news is they got crap tickets in the very back, right in the wings.... i kinda left it a little late - my fault.

So does this help answer any of the questions posed on here on a regular basis? If season tickets were £150/£200 would we have sold many more (what would the price have to be to sell out every week)?

When people talk about us taking £45000 to Wembley at considerably more cost is it any clearer why these people come to games like that but not to Blackburn at £10?

Can we now agree that there is a serious problem with getting people to attend football games in Bristol and it wont be fixed by anything other than a sustained period in the prem?

IMO a lot of people will only attend at the point where we can get relative success and it has nothing to do with cost, there are also those that are just interested in going to Wembley for a day out.

13 minutes ago, Pezo said:

So does this help answer any of the questions posed on here on a regular basis? If season tickets were £150/£200 would we have sold many more (what would the price have to be to sell out every week)?

When people talk about us taking £45000 to Wembley at considerably more cost is it any clearer why these people come to games like that but not to Blackburn at £10?

Can we now agree that there is a serious problem with getting people to attend football games in Bristol and it wont be fixed by anything other than a sustained period in the prem?

IMO a lot of people will only attend at the point where we can get relative success and it has nothing to do with cost, there are also those that are just interested in going to Wembley for a day out.

I think it certain shows that cheap season tickets won't mean guaranteed higher attendances. 

The apathy astounds me! You could understand it if we were languishing near the bottom on the league, but we are doing well and have plenty of decent PR around the ground, SL & Tammy. 

I get that a lot of people play on Saturdays, but it's not like we get a massive boost to the crowd for night games. 

Maybe it's just all relative. In the past, 20/21k V Blackburn would have been celebrated as massive. So are we currently at/around our potential, until we make the next step up..? 

16 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Lots of good points there Pezo. It does suggest that money is not the main factor that keeps people away. It seems our support consists of STH, member regulars, exiles who can only attend occasionally...and not a lot beyond that.

My experience from working in a big office is that if you took a random sample of 100 people, there would probably be 5 people who actively support a local team (I.e. attend games), 25 people who "support" a PL team, another 20 with a vague interest in the game,and 50 who couldn't care less.

Of course these ratios will vary according to the type of work place and the geographical location (I don't work in a city). But it does highlight the struggle clubs like City have competing against the lure of the big teams.

As a side note, I do wonder if it might have been more effective just to have said it was simply £10 for everyone this game, rather than making it a STH-friends deal. That would have broadened the appeal as it wouldn't rely on people knowing a STH.

1 hour ago, harrys said:

Most people I know already have season tickets or they play on a Saturday, I've tried a few people but they are doing other things, maybe next time try a night game?

Night games could be gone completely in a few years time if the league shake up happens

Quite a bit of interest in my office but some have named parking / poor public transport as a main reason not too bother.

12 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

To be fair, as it stands this game won't outsell the Newcastle or Villa games despite being a third of the price...that does suggest the opposition has something to do with it.

And therefore shows Mr Lansdown has a hell of a battle to convince our very fickle supporters to turn up regardless of the already state of the art facilities now produced!

33 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Love how this thread has evolved from the OP optimistically suggesting we might sell out...to everyone lamenting the lack of additional sales!

Ok, let's spin it as one of the biggest crowds seen at Ashton gate in the last 30 years. 

Sounds much better! 

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I find it amazing that if we've got 14,000 season ticket holders, that less than half (well less, when you think that many will have bought 2 extras) have opted to bring a friend, family member or work colleague for a tenner. I'm genuinely shocked at such low take up on a great offer.

Being half term next week didn't help. People I offered them too are going away. 

38 minutes ago, RightUpInCider said:

Let's look at the positives...

For one, being pissed off with a 20k plus (potentially 23k) attendance.... just the fact you are pissed off shows progress when you think what attendances we have had recently, even in our promotion year!

I can't believe people are saying 20k plus against unattractive opposition is a poor show. Regardless of cost of tickets it's a good attendance and a sign of the progress we have made. A similar offer 5 years ago would of seen us get 15k max.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

People saying it's hard work to park really need to start using JustPark. I book parking at the same time as booking tickets, usually a few weeks in advance. It takes about 2 minutes.

Admittedly availability is poor if you don't book in advance, but assuming you can, it's a good solution.

There will be more choice as soon as local residents realise they can park their own cars on the road and rent their drives out.

• Admin
15 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

At £10 a ticket, surely it shouldn't matter who we are playing..?!

14 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

To be fair, as it stands this game won't outsell the Newcastle or Villa games despite being a third of the price...that does suggest the opposition has something to do with it.

I guess to the "floating" supporter the opposition DOES have a massive bearing on the issue.

I'm bringing someone along on Saturday that has never been to a football match in their life, I've promised him it's a great crack in the boozer before and after and the game etc will get them hooked

31 minutes ago, phantom said:

I guess to the "floating" supporter the opposition DOES have a massive bearing on the issue.

I'm bringing someone along on Saturday that has never been to a football match in their life, I've promised him it's a great crack in the boozer before and after and the game etc will get them hooked

I've never promised any first timer that it will be any good. I don't want to leave them disappointed. 

I tend to use the same tactic when I take someone to football as well....! 

20 hours ago, Pezo said:

..there are currently 45 clubs in the leagues who have not been in the PL and based on current average attendances we sit comfortably in the top 3... so you would have to say, along with being perennial underachievers, we are getting great support for a club that has not had the PL effect on swelling our numbers. ~20k average is a fine target for now with or without mates rate offers.

Ave attendance (current season)
Brighton & Hove Albion 25755
Huddersfield Town 20037
Bristol City 19886
Preston North End 12305
Brentford 9799
Rotherham United 9743
Bristol Rovers 8943
Plymouth Argyle 8706
Millwall 8463
Luton Town 7765
Peterborough United 6934
Southend United 6254
Northampton Town 6077
Gillingham 5879
Chesterfield 5519
Grimsby Town 5119
Carlisle United 5018
Notts County 4908
Shrewsbury Town 4883
Burton Albion 4871
Doncaster Rovers 4810
Leyton Orient 4633
AFC Wimbledon 4522
Cambridge United 4452
Walsall 4436
Port Vale 4425
Scunthorpe United 4406
Crewe Alexandra 3994
Exeter City 3957
Bury 3758
Rochdale 3745
Hartlepool United 3670
Oldham Athletic 3426
Mansfield Town 3421
Colchester United 3407
Yeovil Town 3213
Wycombe Wanderers 3153
Fleetwood Town 3040
Cheltenham Town 3014
Stevenage 2624
Newport County 2484
Crawley Town 2257
Morecambe 2179
Accrington Stanley 1956
Barnet 1752

23 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I thought this too but ive had trouble handing out my two guest tickets.

A lot of people i know who would be interested actually play sport on the saturday and only go to the night matches which i believe is five for us this year including the hull game.

I haven't opted for the offer as My problem is I have no friends :violin:

Big push this evening my fellow City fans - take yer granny, girlfriend, Mrs, Mrs and girlfriend, gay lover, unemployed mate and stand him the ticket price, neighbour, son daughter etc. I was going to say Gashead and show him a decent match and stadium but I think we can do without them.

with a big effort we can get an even bigger crowd and hopefully trouble our best attendance of the season so far. It is a shame that Blackburn's following is so small.

6 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Big push this evening my fellow City fans - take yer granny, girlfriend, Mrs, Mrs and girlfriend, gay lover, unemployed mate and stand him the ticket price, neighbour, son daughter etc. I was going to say Gashead and show him a decent match and stadium but I think we can do without them.

with a big effort we can get an even bigger crowd and hopefully trouble our best attendance of the season so far. It is a shame that Blackburn's following is so small.

Already done mate ive managed to turn a gashead to the city although he only had a season ticket for a couple of years!

Regarding blackburns following, i think its still good the amount they have coming down. They are going through a real dark era atm with the current owners and a lot have fallen out of love with the club. Seems common place now.... Blackpool, Coventry, Charlton.... we are very lucky to have Lansdown!

Archived