IGNORED

877 tickets left for Blackburn

DavidNoble

3 hours ago, hantsred said:

..there are currently 45 clubs in the leagues who have not been in the PL and based on current average attendances we sit comfortably in the top 3... so you would have to say, along with being perennial underachievers, we are getting great support for a club that has not had the PL effect on swelling our numbers. ~20k average is a fine target for now with or without mates rate offers.

Ave attendance (current season)
Brighton & Hove Albion 25755
Huddersfield Town 20037
Bristol City 19886
Preston North End 12305
Brentford 9799
Rotherham United 9743
Bristol Rovers 8943
Plymouth Argyle 8706
Millwall 8463
Luton Town 7765
Peterborough United 6934
Southend United 6254
Northampton Town 6077
Gillingham 5879
Chesterfield 5519
Grimsby Town 5119
Carlisle United 5018
Notts County 4908
Shrewsbury Town 4883
Burton Albion 4871
Doncaster Rovers 4810
Leyton Orient 4633
AFC Wimbledon 4522
Cambridge United 4452
Walsall 4436
Port Vale 4425
Scunthorpe United 4406
Crewe Alexandra 3994
Exeter City 3957
Bury 3758
Rochdale 3745
Hartlepool United 3670
Oldham Athletic 3426
Mansfield Town 3421
Colchester United 3407
Yeovil Town 3213
Wycombe Wanderers 3153
Fleetwood Town 3040
Cheltenham Town 3014
Stevenage 2624
Newport County 2484
Crawley Town 2257
Morecambe 2179
Accrington Stanley 1956
Barnet 1752

Great stat! Not heard that one before. 

We should move into second place after tomorrow too. 

23 hours ago, Pezo said:

So does this help answer any of the questions posed on here on a regular basis? If season tickets were £150/£200 would we have sold many more (what would the price have to be to sell out every week)?

When people talk about us taking £45000 to Wembley at considerably more cost is it any clearer why these people come to games like that but not to Blackburn at £10?

Can we now agree that there is a serious problem with getting people to attend football games in Bristol and it wont be fixed by anything other than a sustained period in the prem?

IMO a lot of people will only attend at the point where we can get relative success and it has nothing to do with cost, there are also those that are just interested in going to Wembley for a day out.

When those fans that only turn up for Wembley or glamour games sing "city till I die" gets me. I understand that some have family / work commitments but to some it's the trip then back to talking about how great Man U, Arsenal etc are. 

Bit like when we played Rovers a few years back 17 odd thousand went then the Saturday after we had 11 thousand fans  at home. 

3 hours ago, hantsred said:

..there are currently 45 clubs in the leagues who have not been in the PL and based on current average attendances we sit comfortably in the top 3... so you would have to say, along with being perennial underachievers, we are getting great support for a club that has not had the PL effect on swelling our numbers. ~20k average is a fine target for now with or without mates rate offers.

Huddersfield Town 20037
Bristol City 19886
Preston North End 12305
Brentford 9799
Rotherham United 9743
Bristol Rovers 8943
Plymouth Argyle 8706
Millwall 8463
Luton Town 7765
Peterborough United 6934
Southend United 6254
Northampton Town 6077
Gillingham 5879
Chesterfield 5519
Grimsby Town 5119
Carlisle United 5018
Notts County 4908
Shrewsbury Town 4883
Burton Albion 4871
Doncaster Rovers 4810
Leyton Orient 4633
AFC Wimbledon 4522
Cambridge United 4452
Walsall 4436
Port Vale 4425
Scunthorpe United 4406
Crewe Alexandra 3994
Exeter City 3957
Bury 3758
Rochdale 3745
Hartlepool United 3670
Oldham Athletic 3426
Mansfield Town 3421
Colchester United 3407
Yeovil Town 3213
Wycombe Wanderers 3153
Fleetwood Town 3040
Cheltenham Town 3014
Stevenage 2624
Newport County 2484
Crawley Town 2257
Morecambe 2179
Accrington Stanley 1956
Barnet 1752

I would have expected to see MK on here. Call me a traditionalist (or pedantic) but I don't think the period when they were Wimbledon in the PL should count.....

19 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

When those fans that only turn up for Wembley or glamour games sing "city till I die" gets me. I understand that some have family / work commitments but to some it's the trip then back to talking about how great Man U, Arsenal etc are. 

Bit like when we played Rovers a few years back 17 odd thousand went then the Saturday after we had 11 thousand fans  at home. 

There were 10,000 gasheads there mind.

22 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Great stat! Not heard that one before. 

We should move into second place after tomorrow too. 

Or if we combined Bristol clubs we could be top!!!

For me the stat confirms what a lot of people have stated over the years that we are a well supported club and not be too down beat when we are not filling what is clearly a stadium designed with a bit of future proof capacity.

A more in depth analysis would be to pick a few clubs of comparable size who have been up and come back down from the PL see what has been the PL affect to attendances and how long it lasts. 

40 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

11,000 was a miracle attendance considering that was during the SOD era.

To be fair Blackburn aren't the draw they once were so I'd argue that the right game has been chooses. 

Site says min crowd of 21,500 so let's say 22,000 with POTD, minus 500 Blackburn gives us 21.5k City that's bigger than the Villa and Newcastle matches where the Away following was 2k bigger so will be our biggest home pull of the season - think the club have done well here. 

1 hour ago, mightyreds89 said:

To be fair Blackburn aren't the draw they once were so I'd argue that the right game has been chooses. 

Site says min crowd of 21,500 so let's say 22,000 with POTD, minus 500 Blackburn gives us 21.5k City that's bigger than the Villa and Newcastle matches where the Away following was 2k bigger so will be our biggest home pull of the season - think the club have done well here. 

Personally I suspect the club will be disappointed. For the Villa and Newcastle games people were paying around £30 each on average so the revenue generated from this game will be significantly down on all our other games this season.

Of course it's not just about the revenue, it's about attracting new support, but having given over 13,000 people the opportunity to bring two friends each for a tenner, I think they'll be disappointed with the take-up. From 26,000ish opportunities they've sold only 7,000ish tickets.

Football is often said to be too expensive. But when you're only charging a tenner, you wonder what more the club can do to get bums on seats.

14 hours ago, hantsred said:

Huddersfield Town 20037
Bristol City 19886
Preston North End 12305
Brentford 9799
Rotherham United 9743
Bristol Rovers 8943
Plymouth Argyle 8706
Millwall 8463
Luton Town 7765
Peterborough United 6934
Southend United 6254
Northampton Town 6077
Gillingham 5879
Chesterfield 5519
Grimsby Town 5119
Carlisle United 5018
Notts County 4908
Shrewsbury Town 4883
Burton Albion 4871
Doncaster Rovers 4810
Leyton Orient 4633
AFC Wimbledon 4522
Cambridge United 4452
Walsall 4436
Port Vale 4425
Scunthorpe United 4406
Crewe Alexandra 3994
Exeter City 3957
Bury 3758
Rochdale 3745
Hartlepool United 3670
Oldham Athletic 3426
Mansfield Town 3421
Colchester United 3407
Yeovil Town 3213
Wycombe Wanderers 3153
Fleetwood Town 3040
Cheltenham Town 3014
Stevenage 2624
Newport County 2484
Crawley Town 2257
Morecambe 2179
Accrington Stanley 1956
Barnet 1752

Oldham Athletic have been in the PL.

10 hours ago, hantsred said:

For me the stat confirms what a lot of people have stated over the years that we are a well supported club and not be too down beat when we are not filling what is clearly a stadium designed with a bit of future proof capacity.

A more in depth analysis would be to pick a few clubs of comparable size who have been up and come back down from the PL see what has been the PL affect to attendances and how long it lasts. 

If Cardiff, Blackburn and Bolton are anything to go by not much.

On other posters remarks; I do not agree that price does not matter; it matters an awful lot but not so much as a one off novelty as a lot of the matches this season will be due to the new facilities; this fact distorts this from being a pure price to attendance comparison.

I also believe 27k will be insufficient in the Premier League; City have not currently future proofed the stadium if they are serious about reaching the top flight. That said the money from gate receipts is rather dwarfed by TV prize money but one cannot rely on that too much over and above the stadium. There is no doubt City will fill a greater capacity than 27k and by some margin if the team is established in the PL. That day will come.. unless SL wakes up one morning, has an epiphany, sells the club to Bongo Bongo Mis-adVentures from Lagos and we get related to the third tier inside 2 seasons. Oh what a nightmare scenario that would be but it has happened to today's Chicken Farmer team and many others as we well know.

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Will be interesting to see what the atmosphere is like today. 3,000 odd in the top tier will mean quite a few gaps elsewhere, and our more vocal support will be split up a bit by the relocations.

I'm fully expecting people to claim that's the reason for a poor atmosphere today. 

I didn't realise that moving seats disabled people in opening their mouth's & shouting..!

I think it will be poor today. Hope I'm wrong. 

16 hours ago, hantsred said:

Goes to show Bristol is a football city and have the fan base to compare and compete with other cities in this country

38 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'm fully expecting people to claim that's the reason for a poor atmosphere today. 

I didn't realise that moving seats disabled people in opening their mouth's & shouting..!

I think it will be poor today. Hope I'm wrong. 

I think that's a bit harsh. Gaps in the stands and groups of singers being split up - most notably in the Atyeo - is naturally going to make it a bit harder to get songs going. There will also be more newbies there today than usual.

14 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Personally I suspect the club will be disappointed. For the Villa and Newcastle games people were paying around £30 each on average so the revenue generated from this game will be significantly down on all our other games this season.

Of course it's not just about the revenue, it's about attracting new support, but having given over 13,000 people the opportunity to bring two friends each for a tenner, I think they'll be disappointed with the take-up. From 26,000ish opportunities they've sold only 7,000ish tickets.

Football is often said to be too expensive. But when you're only charging a tenner, you wonder what more the club can do to get bums on seats.

Mustn't forget the boosted food/drink and extras stadium sales that a 'standard' ticket match against Blackburn  wouldn't have generated.

Plus the 'good will' generated, hopefully repeat business from a few newbies who maybe haven't been to a game before but will return again, (some may end up 'hooked for life') others impressed by the new look Ashton Gate and what it has to offer besides just matchdays - ...the knock on effect that newbie conversations in subsequent days will possibly have - chatting about the City and the stadium in chats around the city that would not take place without today experience, valuable word of mouth and goodwill 'advertising'...  All for the price of selling a number of what would otherwise have been empty seats.

If today goes well today... and a similar gesture by the Club is made again sometime in the near future - that's when the numbers will swell .. on the back of this one.

Anyway COYR's ...

13 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Goes to show Bristol is a football city and have the fan base to compare and compete with other cities in this country

I find it hard to describe a city the size of Bristol as a "football city" when two clubs have a combined average of around 25,000 over the past 20-30 years or so. Compare that to almost any other city in the country of comparable size and it doesn't stack up well.

Not having ever experienced PL football is only a partial excuse in my opinion, not least because football didn't start in 1992.

2 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Mustn't forget the boosted food/drink and extras stadium sales that a 'standard' ticket match against Blackburn  wouldn't have generated.

Plus the 'good will' generated, hopefully repeat business from a few newbies who maybe haven't been to a game before but will return again, (some may end up 'hooked for life') others impressed by the new look Ashton Gate and what it has to offer besides just matchdays - ...the knock on effect that newbie conversations in subsequent days will possibly have - chatting about the City and the stadium in chats around the city that would not take place without today experience, valuable word of mouth and goodwill 'advertising'...  All for the price of selling a number of what would otherwise have been empty seats.

If today goes well today... and a similar gesture by the Club is made again sometime in the near future - that's when the numbers will swell .. on the back of this one.

Anyway COYR's ...

I agree with all of that, indeed I'm a big supporter of offers like this for exactly those reasons, but nonetheless I suspect the club will be disappointed with the take up.

Lots of good points made by posters on this thread. The range of opinions reflects the difficulties of truly understanding why some of us go and others don't.

For what's it's worth given that this has to be primarily attracting fans of the future I think the clash with half term was ill advised. I'm away on holiday but had I been home would have brought to of my son's friends along.

I've got two mates coming with me today, swopped tickets for the Lansdown, they have talked about possibly getting a season ticket as they like football so that is a salesman job for me today, the £10 ticket has incited them in.

On Tuesday I have four different mates coming from work, no chance of them becoming season ticket holders (family commitments)  but hopefully the experience will encourage them to a handful of games a season.

Archived