IGNORED

Atyeo statue +++ Final plinth names fitted +++

Dollymarie

• SC&T Board Members
13 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Just out of interest if you want names on two lines i.e.

*** & ****

how do you specify that? 

Just drop us a line by e-mail. A few have specified that. It's not a problem as long as it all fits into 25 characters.

The e-mail address is on this page of our website.

7 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Yep, the email means it's all fine :) 

Thanks deary. Forgot I hadn't sent it off til Mother reminded me last night! Apologies for it being at the finish line, but my late old man's name will be underneath one of his heroes forever more... Can't wait to see it.

• SC&T Board Members

As Marie says, all the new names were fixed onto the statue plinth on Friday afternoon.

You will see that drilling of the holes to fix the plinths has left some chips in the concrete. This will be patched up in due course. When dry weather returns in the spring, a complete overhaul will be done, with all the bands removed, the surface repaired and finished with a cement paint. The bands will then be reattached. This work is unfortunately not feasible at this time of year.

We hope that the blemishes in the concrete will not, however, detract from the pleasure you gain from seeing your name - or that of a loved one - up on the plinth today.

To everyone who subscribed for names on the plinth: thank you very much once again for supporting this project!

Just seen my dad's plaque. Saw many others including some on here such as the Swedish Vodka master himself Tommy aka @bristolcitysweden and @reddoh. Also saw "City til I die! Dolls" (assume that's yours @Dollymarie?) 

Even with the cement issues, it looks brilliant and we are all very happy with it. 

Is the book still happening btw?

• SC&T Board Members
3 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

I've got a plaque but no certificate. Didn't know there was one. @Blagdon red @Dollymarie any ideas? 

We issued certificates as a matter of course with the first batch of names, as some of these were bought up to 7 years ago, so it gave people something to mark their purchase in the interim. With the second batch, as there was no such gap between purchase and fulfiment, we did not issue certificates by default (and did not advertise that we would). However, where anyone contacted us specifically to ask for one (e.g. because they wanted to give it as a present), we were happy to oblige.

As for the order of the names: the first batch was largely alphabetical by surname, although where people had specifically asked for special placement (e.g. two names next to each other, one above another or, in the case of the Atyeo family, 14 together) some re-jigging had to be done.

For the second batch of names further re-jigging was done, so while this batch is again largely in alphabetic order, it is not 100% so.

Let's say it adds to the fun of trying to find the name you're looking for!

As far as adding any more goes, the intention was not to do so. However, we do keep getting asked and as we plan to take everything off to tidy up the cement when the dry weather returns in the spring, perhaps that might be a time to consider adding some more. But I don't think it could be many, or you'd need to get on your hands and knees to read them!!

• Admin
2 hours ago, Blagdon red said:

As for the order of the names: the first batch was largely alphabetical by surname

Not an issue, but odd mine and wife's are separated by different surname 

Anyway main thing was contributing and seeing names on final piece

2 hours ago, Blagdon red said:

We issued certificates as a matter of course with the first batch of names, as some of these were bought up to 7 years ago, so it gave people something to mark their purchase in the interim. With the second batch, as there was no such gap between purchase and fulfiment, we did not issue certificates by default (and did not advertise that we would). However, where anyone contacted us specifically to ask for one (e.g. because they wanted to give it as a present), we were happy to oblige.

As for the order of the names: the first batch was largely alphabetical by surname, although where people had specifically asked for special placement (e.g. two names next to each other, one above another or, in the case of the Atyeo family, 14 together) some re-jigging had to be done.

For the second batch of names further re-jigging was done, so while this batch is again largely in alphabetic order, it is not 100% so.

Let's say it adds to the fun of trying to find the name you're looking for!

As far as adding any more goes, the intention was not to do so. However, we do keep getting asked and as we plan to take everything off to tidy up the cement when the dry weather returns in the spring, perhaps that might be a time to consider adding some more. But I don't think it could be many, or you'd need to get on your hands and knees to read them!!

if back in 2004 you had told me this I would have chosen aardvark

On 21/10/2016 at 21:08, Bristol Rob said:

Thinking of getting this in amongst the '20 words' when they want the book dedication;

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

As far as I know, my old man has never been there, in fact I'm pretty sure he hates Wales. But he did teach me the value of money, so 19 other dead long words and he'll be proud of me.

Rob been there  save your money.

• SC&T Board Members
2 hours ago, phantom said:

Not an issue, but odd mine and wife's are separated by different surname 

Anyway main thing was contributing and seeing names on final piece

Your name appears 3rd from the end of one strip. Ordinarily the next name would have been the other booking we had with the same surname (which was made using a different e-mail address over 12 months' apart, thus, I'm afraid, giving us no indication that the two bookings were related). The next people in alphabetical surname order were two who contacted us and asked specifically to appear side by side. As the order without moving either of the two people with your surname would have been: Your surname | Your surname | Name 2 | End of strip / New strip: Name 2 | etc., the engravers, having instructions to place the two 'Name 2' slots together and no instructions regarding your surname (or any way of knowing you were related) revised the order to: Your surname | Name 2 | Name 2 | End of strip / New strip: Your surname | etc.

It's unfortunate that you and your wife don't appear side by side, but I hope the above explains how this came about.

Archived