IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Blackburn Rovers Match Day Thread

8 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Good morning everyone and good afternoon and good evening to everyone in vastly different time zones.

The last meeting between City and Blackburn was on April 23rd. That was the day we managed to secure our safety in the Championship following a goal a piece from Kodjia and Wilbraham as we settled for a 2-2 draw.

That last meeting between these two teams was also one of the first mentions that Gerry Gow was rather poorly (BCFC Sweden) and this fixture today is the first home game since Gerry's passing and that of my Father too. City will naturally ask for a minute's silence today and all 22 outfield players will wear black arm bands. Gerry was of course one of the finest players to wear the City shirt and a marvellous servant to the club as we gained promotion to the top flight for the first time in 65 years. A year after City were relegated Blackburn won their first First Division title for the 1911-12 season. They won it again a two seasons later and of course more recently in season 94/5 during the Jack Walker era. They have won the FA Cup six times, the League Cup and Charity Shield once.

Interestingly there were cup competitions during the Second World War to supplant the abandonment of the regular league and cup competitions. Most teams saw the vast majority of their players signing up to serve in the forces so the teams that participated in the Football League War Cup were full of many guest players. It was played in each of the war years from 1939 through 1945 and Blackburn Rovers were a 1-0 defeated finalist to West Ham United in the very first one.

What was remarkable about this particular final was that it was held at Wembley even with the threat of Luftwaffe bombings. More than 42,000 turned up to watch the match. That number swelled to over 60,000 final the following year after there had been well over 100 night raids on London in the months leading up to the final as Preston and Arsenal saw out a 1-1 draw with Denis Compton scoring a last gasp equaliser to force a replay at Ewood Park saw Preston victorious. Wembley was a sitting duck and yet the matches went ahead. Quite remarkable.

Blackburn fans have experienced the proverbial high and low that all football fans know about. However, this is a club that can teach all of us the true definition of high and low that surpasses most, certainly in the recent modern era. This period in their history can probably be encapsulated within the era that began with the Walker family take over of 1990, a Division 2 promotion in 1992 and first Premier League Title in 1994, both under Kenny Dalglish, to the sacking of Sam Allardyce days after an Indian Chicken Farmer bought the club in November 2010.

Sam Allardyce, remember, had taken Blackburn to a very respectable, perhaps remarkable, 10th placed finish in his first season with the club and a semi final in the League Cup in season 2009/10. Two months into the 2010/11 season and he found himself sacked. It cannot be overstated how naive and ridiculous a decision it was for the Venky's to sack a proven winner and then replace him with the inept and inexperienced Steve Kean. It set in train their inexorable fall down the football pyramid with many more stupid decisions to follow this first catalyst. Blackburn remain on course to follow in the foot steps of Bolton and the appointment of Owen Coyle is probably too late to save them. 

City have played Blackburn 40 times in all competitions and we slightly have the edge over them winning 16 times to their 14. However we have not beaten them since 1991 so its time. And what better time to do it. Birmingham lost last night so a good chance to re-take 5th place and send Coyle's team back into the relegation zone. 2-0. Nothing spectacular but workmanlike in front of the highest crowd of the season.. 23,135. Enjoy the game folks. Roar the City on not least for all those who have recently passed away. UTC 

There it is . 

Hi H, hope you're ok ? 

Yes we are very lucky to have Lansdown as there but for the grace ...

Today is the day when the margins will be on our side .It will us saving off the line and marking an impossible goal to get us back on the right tracks . We have the talent and although every match in this league is tight I'm going for a City win and stuff the performance ! 

Ta ta Blackburn :sub:

• Like 2

A very proud day for me today. My Grandson is a mascot. Can't wait to see him on the pitch with the players. His score prediction today for the programme is 3-1 to City. So I'll settle for that. COYR. 

Skybet, Tomlin first goal and City to win 3-1 is 50/1  ...... Just saying :whistle:

Edited by 1960maaan
1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Good morning everyone and good afternoon and good evening to everyone in vastly different time zones.

The last meeting between City and Blackburn was on April 23rd. That was the day we managed to secure our safety in the Championship following a goal a piece from Kodjia and Wilbraham as we settled for a 2-2 draw.

That last meeting between these two teams was also one of the first mentions that Gerry Gow was rather poorly (BCFC Sweden) and this fixture today is the first home game since Gerry's passing and that of my Father too. City will naturally ask for a minute's silence today and all 22 outfield players will wear black arm bands. Gerry was of course one of the finest players to wear the City shirt and a marvellous servant to the club as we gained promotion to the top flight for the first time in 65 years. A year after City were relegated Blackburn won their first First Division title for the 1911-12 season. They won it again two seasons later and of course more recently in 1994/95 during the Jack Walker era. They have won the FA Cup six times, the League Cup and Charity Shield once.

Interestingly there were cup competitions during the Second World War to supplant the abandonment of the regular league and cup competitions. Most teams saw the vast majority of their players signing up to serve in the forces so the teams that participated in the 'Football League War Cup' were full of mostly guest players. The cup competition was played in each of the war years from 1939 through 1945 and Blackburn Rovers were a 1-0 defeated finalist to West Ham United in the very first one by a goal to nil.

What was remarkable about this particular final was that it was held at Wembley even with the threat of Luftwaffe bombings. More than 42,000 turned up to watch the match. And yet that feat was surpassed in the final the following year when the number swelled to over 60,000 after there had been well over 100 night raids on London in the months leading up to the final. Preston and Arsenal saw out a 1-1 draw with Denis Compton scoring a last gasp equaliser to force a replay at Ewood Park which saw Preston victorious. Wembley was a sitting duck and yet the matches went ahead. Quite remarkable.

Blackburn fans have experienced the proverbial high and low that all football fans know about. However, this is a club that can teach all of us the true definition of high and low that surpasses most, certainly in the recent modern era. This period in their history can probably be encapsulated within the era that began with the Walker family take over of 1990, a Division 2 promotion in 1992 and first Premier League Title in 1994, both under Kenny Dalglish, to the sacking of Sam Allardyce days after an Indian Chicken Farmer bought the club in November 2010.

Sam Allardyce, remember, had taken Blackburn to a very respectable, perhaps remarkable, 10th placed finish in his first season with the club and a semi final in the League Cup in season 2009/10. Two months into the 2010/11 season and he found himself sacked. It cannot be overstated how naive and ridiculous a decision it was for the Venky's to sack a proven winner and then replace him with the inept and inexperienced Steve Kean. It set in train their inexorable fall down the football pyramid with many more stupid decisions to follow this first catalyst. Blackburn remain on course to follow in the foot steps of Bolton and the appointment of Owen Coyle is probably too late to save them. 

City have played Blackburn 40 times in all competitions and we slightly have the edge over them winning 16 times to their 14. However we have not beaten them since 1991 so its time. And what better time to do it. Birmingham lost last night so a good chance to re-take 5th place and send Coyle's team back into the relegation zone. 2-0. Nothing spectacular but workmanlike in front of the highest crowd of the season.. 23,135. Enjoy the game folks. Roar the City on not least for all those who have recently passed away. UTC 

I leave you with this.. watch out for the fat ones feigning injury today folks.

Condensed Version

Blackburn:

A day of thought today as we remember Gerry Gow, Rich's Dad and many other City players / fans who have passed on.

Remarkable why the Luftwaffe didn't drop a bomb on a packed Wembley during the war. Had that been the RAF doing the same to Berlin we probably would have skewed it wide and missed the chance.

Now owned by Budgie Breeders from Mumbai, Blackburn have been in free fall since the heady days of Kenny Dalglish's title winning side and Sam Allardyce's sacking for accepting a £400k payment to talk to rival Turkey Breeders in China.

City 2-1

• Like 3

Great match day thread write up again, Hava.  I'm not sure how it's escaped me all these years, but I've never heard of the war cup games, remarkable stuff.

For all the terrible decisions made at Blackburn, it's also remarkable that they've not fallen already to League 2, which will surely be on the cards in their future.

I am !00% behind the 3-1 city score today, and am tempted by that Skybet!

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Looking forwards to seeing the Lansdown Stand heaving from top to bottom.

• Like 1

I have been so excited going to games this year, the last two performances have tempered that slightly , but today I am really looking forward to seeing the display.  

I was explaining to the Mrs about Gerry Gow and how it has effected grown men, my theory is that is a part of your childhood / adolescence   disappearing .  GG was a massive part of the team I saw promoted and I had a little flashback to when I was younger. I have always said Garland was my first City hero, that Whitehead was the best winger I've seen. Then it came back to me , the Leeds team of the 70's stated wearing sock numbers, little banners that used as sock ties would hang down displaying the team number. For a short time you could get them in sports shops in Bristol, I of course got get ones and only one number would do 4 !  

RIP Gerry , and @havanatopia's Dad . I hope the day goes really well and top it off with 3 points.

For the kids out there .....

leeds_united_sock_tags.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

I've failed a late fitness test and will instead spend the afternoon in the company of Radio Bristol, whilst coughing, sneezing and sleeping my way through the day.

I hope those in stands various get as many images as they can from the Gow tribute and post them for us to see.

3-1 City. 

:ill:  Have you a dose of Tammy flu Young Rob ? 

Get well soon .

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I was explaining to the Mrs about Gerry Gow and how it has effected grown men, my theory is that is a part of your childhood / adolescence   disappearing .  

I think that's probably what it is, but also when you admire someone so much in your formative years that they become a 'hero', you get some sort of personal connection with them even though you've never met. Like they become a subconscious father figure.

I haven't felt as saddened by the death of someone I didn't know personally since the passing of John Peel, and before that Joe Strummer, both personal heroes for me, just like our Gerry was.

We really need a win after these 2 away games, poor away games. A morale boost is a must and I'm glad that I can watch another city game in only 8 days, hope to not be dissapointed again... and maybe Engvall will play some minutes too because I think he never played.

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Going today. Looking for a "reaction" performance today after two disappointing games. Suspect we might get it.

We also need to impress the newbies in today's crowd!

You going is going to do nothing positive for our performance. Please go in disguise, or speak with an accent. Just don't let it be known it's you, with your terrible curse over our results