IGNORED

The Official Barnsley v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Think we've been a little cagey in our set ups away from home....we'll certainly see today.  Reid was fantastic on Tuesday and I'd suggest that LJ has found out that he needs to find a way to accommodate not just Tomlin, but Reid as well these days.  Korey's industry and ability to cover vast amount of ground, alongside O'Neil, probably vital to the inclusion of both Reid and Tomlin, and another striker too. 

Clever selection....on paper.

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I imagine it will be 3 central with Tomlin sitting just in front in a free role. 

Almost more of a 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 to be exact. 

Looking at it you'd expect more of the 4-3-1-2.  Not sure where width will come from? Tammy drifting wide to let Tomlin through in the centre?  Or are the fullbacks going to bomb on.  

Would love some decent tactical posts on here from those brave souls who have ventured north.

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Exciting to see something a bit different at kick off. GON, Smith, Reid and Tomlin is on paper a great midfield...let's see.

Yes, is this the first time everybody starting has been fit and available to play? Looks good on paper as you say. We can bring on Joe and Patterson to run at a tired defence if needed, think this might suit Joe better at the moment and give him a bit of confidence. In fact there are plenty of options we can use from the bench.

It might go horribly wrong but at last it seems we have the right players to do the job. We look much more balanced.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Looking at it you'd expect more of the 4-3-1-2.  Not sure where width will come from? Tammy drifting wide to let Tomlin through in the centre?  Or are the fullbacks going to bomb on.  

Would love some decent tactical posts on here from those brave souls who have ventured north.

With O'Dowda out of favour, Freeman injured and Paterson on the bench we do look very short of width.

Hopefully a midfield including Tomlin and Reid will make up for it with their creativity.

Wilbs first league start of the season, too.

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

Yes, is this the first time everybody starting has been fit and available to play? Looks good on paper as you say. We can bring on Joe and Patterson to run at a tired defence if needed, think this might suit Joe better at the moment and give him a bit of confidence. In fact there are plenty of options we can use from the bench.

It might go horribly wrong but at last it seems we have the right players to do the job. We look much more balanced.

Funny how a more attack minded team gives me a greater expectation of winning away.  Fancy us today. Come on you redddsssss

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

With O'Dowda out of favour, Freeman injured and Paterson on the bench we do look very short of width.

Hopefully a midfield including Tomlin and Reid will make up for it with their creativity.

Wilbs first league start of the season, too.

Funnily enough, I said earlier that our wide players hadn't really fired this season....and LJ picks a Sir Alf Wingless Wonders team!

10 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think if full backs bombing on was the plan, the JB would be left back. 

Hopefully it's fluid enough to control midfield but still crest width. 

I think this is a big game for Reid. He needs to produce today against a below strength opposition midfield. 

Im surprised to see wilbs starting as think he is better coming off the bench.  Hopefully I will be eating humble pie later on. 

I wonder if playing two up top  is to match Barnsley s formation or playing a more open midfield because barnsley only have 4 in midfield  so we don't need to flood the midfield so much.  It will definitely be a game where we need our full backs to provide width!  

Despite GON and Smith (on paper) being the obvious midfield pair when we play with two in front of the back 4, I thought we missed Pack badly against Blackburn, with Tomlin often being the one to pick the ball up from the back 4 and nowhere near the opposition's box, where he could be dangerous. 

Hopefully the change of shape gets more out of the midfield and Tomlin can stay a bit further up the pitch. 

2 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

Im surprised to see wilbs starting as think he is better coming off the bench.  Hopefully I will be eating humble pie later on. 

I wonder if playing two up top  is to match Barnsley s formation or playing a more open midfield because barnsley only have 4 in midfield  so we don't need to flood the midfield so much.  It will definitely be a game where we need our full backs to provide width!  

Wilbs can just run himself into the ground for 60-70 minutes (not 85-90 last season), then bring on whoever is needed for the remainder.  

3 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

With Engvall coming into the frame we can afford to play Wilbs for an hour or him for an hour turn and turn about.