IGNORED

Matthews

DavidNoble

Is he winding anyone else up a tad?

Yes he was recently injured but we've constantly heard from LJ how unfit he was/is. It's nearly November now it's absurd how it keeps being said but nothing happens. 

As LJ has said previously when he's fit he's one of the best right backs in the league. He comes across to me as unmotivated and lazy and like he doesn't care about the club.

Just frustrating me. That's all. Apologies. 

34 minutes ago, Cider-Head23 said:

He was dreadful on Saturday. Offered nothing going forward, and was beaten every time by their winger. Saying that he was outstanding at QPR. 

He was poor on Saturday, but the system LJ deployed completely screwed him over. He had no support defensively for much of the game and then found he wasn't able to attack the space in front of him because no one was in a position to cover him

I'm still struggling to understand what LJ was trying to achieve with his tactics at the weekend

14 hours ago, DavidNoble said:

Yes he was recently injured but we've constantly heard from LJ how unfit he was/is. It's nearly November now it's absurd how it keeps being said but nothing happens. 

As LJ has said previously when he's fit he's one of the best right backs in the league. He comes across to me as unmotivated and lazy and like he doesn't care about the club.

That's some rant old chum I can see you are frustrated. At the start of this league campaign did you think Kodja was unmotivated and lazy, like he didn't  care about the club?

11 minutes ago, cynic said:

Agreed, but its now November and still waiting...

One thing I don't like is when the ball is on the other side of the pitch and we are defending, he gets very close to Flint in the middle and totally leaves about a half acre of space behind him. Annoys the hell out of me, and the opposition quickly pick up on it.

It's November but he hasn't had that run of starts yet. He's getting there which makes the timing of this thread odd. Also, I think him coming inside is instruction from LJ. Our LB routinely does this as well and I'm quite sure I've heard that they are told not to go to a winger until they receive the ball. 

14 minutes ago, cynic said:

Agreed, but its now November and still waiting...

One thing I don't like is when the ball is on the other side of the pitch and we are defending, he gets very close to Flint in the middle and totally leaves about a half acre of space behind him. Annoys the hell out of me, and the opposition quickly pick up on it.

It doesn't matter when in the season it is, I think it's unfair to judge until he's had a proper run. He's been injured or unfit nearly all the season.

42 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It's November but he hasn't had that run of starts yet. He's getting there which makes the timing of this thread odd. Also, I think him coming inside is instruction from LJ. Our LB routinely does this as well and I'm quite sure I've heard that they are told not to go to a winger until they receive the ball. 

Exactly this...everyone moves as a unit, as one across the field.. When a ball is played across to the other side, everyone moves as a unit again.

If a winger draws out a full back to the touch line, it creates too much space in front of the 18 yard box, and allows the opposition midfield to manipulate that area.

It's what the winger wants you to do...be drawn out of position. To make you lose shape.

It's a very basic football coaching method, that all football fans should realise. It's coached even at Amateur level.

The coaching staff would be going mental if Matthews got drawn out, and Flint would probably slap him :laugh:

16 minutes ago, cynic said:

I understand that, but I think he ventures much too close to Flint and doesn't give himself enough time to close down the wide man when the opposition spot it (he aint that quick). 

Seems obvious to me that he's a few yards too far infield and will get caught out.

I think the problem is his fitness...he's giving the opposition way too much respect and stands too far off...basically to give himself that extra yard.

Compare that to Goldbourne or Bryan and they are right on their player.

One thing I will give in his favour, is he gets a lot less protection on his side for some reason...it's noticeable.

17 hours ago, DavidNoble said:

Yes, looks like he'd rather be anywhere apart from here. It's a standard joke when you see all the lads arriving at a game, they're all smiles & chatting with the kids. I've not seen him as much as change facial expression (from being miserable) although he kind of grimaced last week!!!

4 minutes ago, Strawberry2157. said:

Yes, looks like he'd rather be anywhere apart from here. It's a standard joke when you see all the lads arriving at a game, they're all smiles & chatting with the kids. I've not seen him as much as change facial expression (from being miserable) although he kind of grimaced last week!!!

Is he always like that, or just since he came here?

He looks a right misery and his body language is so negative. Life and soul of the party...not.

:rain:

7 minutes ago, Strawberry2157. said:

I'd say he's just not a "bubbly" kind of guy. He wasn't exactly beaming to sign for Sunderland or Celtic either...

6982112.jpg

2A36220C00000578-0-image-m-2_14359586973

26 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think the problem is his fitness...he's giving the opposition way too much respect and stands too far off...basically to give himself that extra yard.

Compare that to Goldbourne or Bryan and they are right on their player.

One thing I will give in his favour, is he gets a lot less protection on his side for some reason...it's noticeable.

Bryan also gets caught out of position - as I've previously said I just can't see Joe ever becoming a top left back 

13 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Bryan also gets caught out of position - as I've previously said I just can't see Joe ever becoming a top left back 

I agree Joe is still learning that position and sometimes gets out of position...but I think Matthews is deliberately giving himself that extra yard off the opponent, so that he doesn't get turned so easily. Unfortunately it leads to more crosses getting put across. what he does well though, is shape his body in a way, so that more often than not, the ball is not passed into the danger zone.

Bryans mistakes are where he's still learning that position imo. his closing down of players is better than Matthews atm.

22 minutes ago, shelts said:

A fit Mathews would walk into most Championship sides and maybe a few shit Prem sides. Total confusion for him pre season as to where he would be playing and then gets himself a club and the inevitable happens injuries. 

Good player. 

Did the injury happen because he'd not kept himself fit over the summer though?

Reading between the lines of what LJ has been saying, he's not a happy bunny with Matthews commitment to getting himself fit and healthy.

1 hour ago, Strawberry2157. said:

That was wind…

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I agree Joe is still learning that position and sometimes gets out of position...but I think Matthews is deliberately giving himself that extra yard off the opponent, so that he doesn't get turned so easily. Unfortunately it leads to more crosses getting put across. what he does well though, is shape his body in a way, so that more often than not, the ball is not passed into the danger zone.

Bryans mistakes are where he's still learning that position imo. his closing down of players is better than Matthews atm.

Did the injury happen because he'd not kept himself fit over the summer though?

Reading between the lines of what LJ has been saying, he's not a happy bunny with Matthews commitment to getting himself fit and healthy.

I agree 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Is he always like that, or just since he came here?

He looks a right misery and his body language is so negative. Life and soul of the party...not.

:rain:

Hes Welch you know !  Have you ever come across a happy taffy?   No me also !   But ilike him and reckon we need to give him more time   Sure he will come good  as the season goes by  Don't forget  he is on a season long loan and wont want to go back up north  indeed think he will be delighted to sign for us  and can nip across the bridge if he is home sick in between games !

Archived