IGNORED

Matthews

DavidNoble

5 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

I did try to tell everyone about 8 months ago he was crap.

Wow thanks. The lad is a very good Championship right back and has encountered a few challenges at work, who hasn't?

Still think he has a part to play for us this season, hence why he aint been sacked. 

10 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

You would think that his 'reluctance' to get fit, and/or these misdemeanours could be seen as a breach of contract?

That's true, no idea how these (no doubt immensely complex) contracts work so no clue if that's a possibility.

This isn't the first time this season LJ has given him a public roasting, maybe that's how LJ believes he'll be motivated. I remember when he came back after his injury (which LJ publically criticised him for) he played quite well, could all be mind games. 

It is a real shame he's not performed yet because at his best he's very good at this level. 

I think it's a shame we didn't try harder to get Tavernier when we first went up. In my opinion he's better than Little and has the added bonus of being a very good set piece taker. Mind you, pretty tough competition for him in Rangers even in the Scottish 2nd division so maybe we did try.  Another player I'd have liked to see us try and get is Nathan Byrne. Quick, versatile and can improve. Shame he went to Wigan.

15 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

He has never given me the impression he is particularly thrilled to be here! Ex Baadiff might have something to do with it .

More a case of him wanting a permanent move somewhere rather than a loan I think.

I was amazed when he was called into the Wales squad, OK only as a back up, but had circumstances changed he could have been playing in a World Cup qualifier, but not fit or seemingly good enough to play for us.....very strange comments from LJ I have to say, can't see the point in hinting at problems  that may lead to supporters making Matthews a target for the boo boys.

Certainly a waste of a talented footballer from what we saw last season.

7 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Can we sack him?

You would think we'd be able to terminate the loan in the event of any serious breach of standards but considering we don't know what the issues are....

Quite often what a manager puts out to the media and what he says to the player in person are completely different. Smoke and mirrors and all that.

Or perhaps he just thinks that's what it'll take to get him focussed on the job. Either way a bit of a sad state of affairs considering how well he did during the first loan spell. 

36 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

Hindsight I know but all this makes moving on Ayling to Leeds not the best piece of business we've ever done. 

Think Ayling peed' his chances of staying here away at Cheltenham unfortunately. Had that incident not happened, I think he'd still be here. Wouldn't be surprised if it was Lansdown who made the call to get him out. 

4 hours ago, Countryfile said:

More a case of him wanting a permanent move somewhere rather than a loan I think.

I was amazed when he was called into the Wales squad, OK only as a back up, but had circumstances changed he could have been playing in a World Cup qualifier, but not fit or seemingly good enough to play for us.....very strange comments from LJ I have to say, can't see the point in hinting at problems  that may lead to supporters making Matthews a target for the boo boys.

Certainly a waste of a talented footballer from what we saw last season.

He's not doing himself any favours for a permanent move if he's not playing or seen as a troublesome player.

On November 21, 2016 at 05:50, Fiale said:

Not only did Mark Little start on the right side of the back four, teenage England youth international Taylor Moore was preferred to Matthews on the substitutes' bench as Johnson sought to make a point.

Asked about his decision to leave out Matthews after the game, which Birmingham won 1-0, Johnson referred to a " couple of misdemeanors."

Get them latest Bristol City news, views and transfer rumours with our live blog

He told The Post: "He is fine now. It's nothing major, just a couple of little misdemeanors that could be unfortunate or could be misunderstandings. We have to send the message out to the squad to make sure everybody is fully focused on getting a result."

So he comes to us unfit, he then is injured, suffered a few illnesses, still unfit enough to play a full 90 minutes and he has committed "misdemeanors" so Johnson left him out of the squad as punishment ? What the hell, just send him back, we are not punishing him by leaving  him out of the squad we are punishing ourselves - send him back, save some money and just save the coaches, medics, physios, manager and team all the time that would otherwise be wasted on him.

I agree except we have a contract and would still be paying the waste of space. However the guy appears now to be borderline disruptive and disinterested. We have enough depth to cover at least until January, so unless something changes fast LJ must have actually at least pondered what you say. 

On 11/22/2016 at 08:35, Phileas Fogg said:

Think Ayling peed' his chances of staying here away at Cheltenham unfortunately. Had that incident not happened, I think he'd still be here. Wouldn't be surprised if it was Lansdown who made the call to get him out. 

Hardly crime of the Century was it? That we are Bristol Fair Play City, I quite like, but there is a danger we are getting a bit soft, if Luke was shown the door because of that incident it was flippin' soft wet and even worse counter productive, Ayling is a very good player at this level, young and still learning, LJ said he regretted selling him too, so what the hell?

24 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

We appear here to be interpreting a "couple of minor misdemeanors" as "he can't be arsed to play" and judging the bloke on what we interpret his facial expression to mean.

Talk about a kangaroo court!

Kangaroo court. This is OTIB :laugh:!  

However most are interpreting being over weight, being constantly injured, Ill and now some kind of infraction and the fact he has started six games, being good in one as Can't be arsed to play. But they could be wrong. Perhaps it's not a pattern just a run of bad luck and a dodgy fizog!

1 hour ago, 1bristolcity said:

Hardly crime of the Century was it? That we are Bristol Fair Play City, I quite like, but there is a danger we are getting a bit soft, if Luke was shown the door because of that incident it was flippin' soft wet and even worse counter productive, Ayling is a very good player at this level, young and still learning, LJ said he regretted selling him too, so what the hell?

Indeed, it was trivial in comparison to far more serious incidents that have been forgiven during SL's time.

Good player, great attitude on the pitch, and by all accounts one of the key individuals responsible for our previously much lauded great dressing room spirit.

If LJ regretted selling Luke, so he should - bad decision imo.

Nothing quite so frustrating to those of us who would've loved to've played football for a living, as to see someone who was born with the talent and watch them flush their careers down the toilet. Can only assume its got a lot to do with having been surrounded by a lot of people telling him how wonderful he is in the premiership, and being thick enough to think it would last forever without an ounce of hard work, and as soon as somethings don't go to plan he sulks, doesn't put in the hard work, gets unfit and he's not clever enough to get his shit together and to drag himself back into contention.

If he doesn't make a go of it this time, his career as a well paid player will be over. Shame.... in every sense of the word.

7 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

Nothing quite so frustrating to those of us who would've loved to've played football for a living, as to see someone who was born with the talent and watch them flush their careers down the toilet. Can only assume its got a lot to do with having been surrounded by a lot of people telling him how wonderful he is in the premiership, and being thick enough to think it would last forever without an ounce of hard work, and as soon as somethings don't go to plan he sulks, doesn't put in the hard work, gets unfit and he's not clever enough to get his shit together and to drag himself back into contention.

If he doesn't make a go of it this time, his career as a well paid player will be over. Shame.... in every sense of the word.

Lots of sweeping statements and generalisations there. We don't know anything about Matthews off the pitch. For all we know he could be going through a marriage break up, bereavement, depression.. who knows.

The implication is that the issues are mind over matter. Think we should consider that we don't know the story before making generalisations.

1 hour ago, Lord Northski said:

Woah hang on fella...'Assuming' is a dangerous thing...how have you come to that conclusion? There maybe a multitude of things that are preventing him playing regularly...so to make sweeping statements like that, is a bit premature wouldn't you think?

Even if it were true...how many of us at the age of 24 thought the same as when we were 15-20 years older? Hindsight is a wonderful thing. You think you can conquer the world at 24.

As much as many of us would have liked to have played football and get paid for kicking a ball around...it's still a bloomin job. After a while, they still feel the same about their work as many of us do...a great many get paid a lot more though. But money isn't everything, and doesn't buy you happiness. Many footballers are lonely and bored especially if they don't have family.

When a Sport is a passion it's great....when it becomes your job, it's a whole different ball game.

Been there and done it...being a Professional Sportsman isn't all it's cracked up to be, regardless of what people think from the outside looking in.

23 minutes ago, spudski said:

Woah hang on fella...'Assuming' is a dangerous thing...how have you come to that conclusion? There maybe a multitude of things that are preventing him playing regularly...so to make sweeping statements like that, is a bit premature wouldn't you think?

Even if it were true...how many of us at the age of 24 thought the same as when we were 15-20 years older? Hindsight is a wonderful thing. You think you can conquer the world at 24.

As much as many of us would have liked to have played football and get paid for kicking a ball around...it's still a bloomin job. After a while, they still feel the same about their work as many of us do...a great many get paid a lot more though. But money isn't everything, and doesn't buy you happiness. Many footballers are lonely and bored especially if they don't have family.

When a Sport is a passion it's great....when it becomes your job, it's a whole different ball game.

Been there and done it...being a Professional Sportsman isn't all it's cracked up to be, regardless of what people think from the outside looking in.

Ok, so if we agree to disagree that it's a bit premature, it's been six moths since the season ended and Mathews returned to his club in the full knowledge that City wanted to sign him permanently. He was playing really well, was fit, not out of condition and was able to last an entire match. If he's lost the love with the game and wants to sit on his wallet and eat chips and ice cream then that's great, but don't expect me to join you by getting all Gordon Taylor (defending what seems like the indefensible) about it because we as a club don't have the luxury of time to decide if he's going to get match fit, be it mentally or physically or as seems likely, both.

We have a problem at right back when he's there and when he's not because both him and his replacement aren't consistently good enough, and as such either he gets it together, or he gets replaced in January and he'll return to his club in May after which he would struggle to pass the Mr Ashton "Right Fit" test that other clubs are likely to have too.

6 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

Ok, so if we agree to disagree that it's a bit premature, it's been six moths since the season ended and Mathews returned to his club in the full knowledge that City wanted to sign him permanently. He was playing really well, was fit, not out of condition and was able to last an entire match. If he's lost the love with the game and wants to sit on his wallet and eat chips and ice cream then that's great, but don't expect me to join you by getting all Gordon Taylor (defending what seems like the indefensible) about it because we as a club don't have the luxury of time to decide if he's going to get match fit, be it mentally or physically or as seems likely, both.

We have a problem at right back when he's there and when he's not because both him and his replacement aren't consistently good enough, and as such either he gets it together, or he gets replaced in January and he'll return to his club in May after which he would struggle to pass the Mr Ashton "Right Fit" test that other clubs are likely to have too.

I won't disagree with you on that...but you didn't say that originally.

And I have been one of the first on here, to say that I don't think things are right with AM...since the beginning of the season.

I do agree we have a problem at RB...and LJ has implied that he wouldn't have let Ayling go if he knew how things were going to pan out.

I imagine we will be getting cover at RB in January if things don't get better, or Moore will get more games. I suppose it depends on how much wages we've got left to play with and whether other players will get fit or not...Smith, Engvall etc.

22 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Indeed, it was trivial in comparison to far more serious incidents that have been forgiven during SL's time.

Good player, great attitude on the pitch, and by all accounts one of the key individuals responsible for our previously much lauded great dressing room spirit.

If LJ regretted selling Luke, so he should - bad decision imo.

Yes I think you are right trivial by comparison to some of the Miriad of horse manure we have seen under a succession of managers in SLs reign. But here in is the issue. The club does not take that kind of behavior and nor does LJ (GJesque perhaps) and the different attitude fits with everything else happening at the club  

Luke marked his card and a good offer came in with Matthews as the replacement. (As far as I'm aware City did not actively tout LA, but to be closely associated with peeing in a glass in public view at a public event and watching and laughing did not reflect well on anyone, the players were banned from Cheltenham subsequently and LA made a public apology. This sent its own message about his availability)

The decision to sell Ayling after accepting a good offer was correct at the time with all factors considered, who knew Matthews was going to become a poor mans Nicky Hunt, I certainly didn't. 

Still LA has gone and we have bucket loads to spend from Adomah, Bolaise, LA, KA, JK etc. Let's hope we get better players in Jan and June thru Aug and Matthews and The Swede become football players again and the rest raise their game, including GJ

6 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

There are various ways to interpret this.  It could be a mental health issue, in which case he shouldn't be criticised. I think this is unlikely as, if it was, it's unlikely that LJ would make public statements. So, has he got an attitude problem, personal problems etc? 

Archived