IGNORED

Ozil Goal

Tinmans Love Child

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Still nobody has been able to point to a massive game he's had a big influence on.  If he's world class there must be loads!

To be fair is that the standardised measure of a good player? Individual games?  Different players make different contributions to their team, football isn't an exact science.

I'd rather have a playmaker delivering a consistent stream of assists and key contributions all season than making a big statement in a handful of games then going missing. 

Thats what Ozil gives you. Like I said, the fact that you can't name more than a handful of players in his position who are as good or better proves that he's amongst the world's best. You don't have to like him to accept that. 

But how many big teams in Europe can you name that have a better number 10? Again I can think of maybe 2 or 3, he'd walk into almost any team in the world, which makes him a top player in my book. 

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Here's the thing, most of those play a different position. That's not because of the team shape, its because they play a different position.

Sanchez plays wide/as a striker, Ozil is a central attacking midfielder.

Neymar plays wide/as a striker, Ozil is a CAM

Messi plays wide/as a striker, Ozil is a CAM

Bale plays wide, Ozil is a CAM

Griezmann is a striker, Ozil is a CAM

Hazard can play as a CAM, but is better on the wing, Ozil is a CAM.

Ozil is better than Silva imo, but David Silva has better players alongside him who are able to make more of what he creates.

That leaves De Bruyne

They are all better than Ozil when they play in his position.  Seems a hard concept to grasp for some.

Still waiting for even one big game where he's contributed.  Being excellent against average opponents and then disappearing in the crunch games does not a world class player make.

Pretty much on the verge of winning this debate I think. 

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Hmm, an irrational dislike of Ozil and refusal to give Wenger any credit- methinks reddave has a problem with Arsenal more than anything

Wenger can have credit for his trophies.  The fact he says finishing fourth is like a trophy says a lot about the man.

Was a great manager, now a stubborn one who always falls short.

Why would a Bristol city fan have a problem with arsenal?  Just say it how it is.  He is an ex winner. 

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

They are all better than Ozil when they play in his position.  Seems a hard concept to grasp for some.

Still waiting for even one big game where he's contributed.  Being excellent against average opponents and then disappearing in the crunch games does not a world class player make.

Congratulations, you've spent nearly two days fiercely debating your opinions about Mesut Ozil on Otib!

IMG_6875.JPG

18 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I don't think anyone said Ozil was better than Neymar, Messi, Bale and co did they? You must be being deliberately moronic now surely. 

12 hours ago, RedDave said:

Should I write 'tongue in cheek' in brackets to make it 100% clear when I'm joking? Or would some emojis help?!

You still going on this one Dave? I think there should be a sub category of trolls for  people like you. 

Half intelligent. Half troll. 

'Intellitroll'. 

On 04/11/2016 at 22:10, RedDave said:

I didn't see the North London derby today but I'm assuming Ozil must have put in one of his world class perfromances looking at the result? Haha 

5 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

After Bellerin he was pretty much their best player.

5 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

Got another assist against one of the best teams in the world. 

Recorded the game and going to watch tomorrow.  Going on MOTD he missed two very good chances including an open goal and wasn't great in lead up to penalty.  

Good free kick though. At least there's that.

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Recorded the game and going to watch tomorrow.  Going on MOTD he missed two very good chances including an open goal and wasn't great in lead up to penalty.  

Good free kick though. At least there's that.

By the way, I didn't intend to write world, but of course league. 

On 05/11/2016 at 11:06, RedDave said:

Winning an argument

You're not providing anything to support your argument other than your opinion- I'm not sure why you think that is winning an argument... 

You want evidence of him showing up in big games and yet when provided with some you say that it doesn't count and it depends in when and how critical it was to the game. 

So... and i hate taking things from Wiki.....in no particular order:

Özil scored his first goal of the 2015–16 season in a 3–0 home victory over Manchester United on 4 October. He had earlier assisted Alexis Sánchez to give the Gunners the lead in the sixth minute of the match.

He set a new Premier League record being the first player to assist in six consecutive matches when setting up Kieran Gibbs' for 1–1 in the derby versus Tottenham on 8 November 2015

On 4 April, he scored the second goal for his team in a 4–1 win over Liverpool

Özil continued his run of good form by providing four assists in the next three games, against Aston Villa, Manchester City and Sunderland, helping his team win all three matches.  (In case you are wondering he assisted both Arsenal goals against Manchester City in a 2-1 win)

So... against Liverpool, Spurs, Manchester United and Manchester city he has contributed to either the opening goal or the second goal in either a win or a draw.

i guess now would be the time to say that in the biggest club game of them all, El classico, he has opened the scoring twice and on two other occasions has assisted equalisers.

1 hour ago, cider-manc said:

You're not providing anything to support your argument other than your opinion- I'm not sure why you think that is winning an argument... 

You want evidence of him showing up in big games and yet when provided with some you say that it doesn't count and it depends in when and how critical it was to the game. 

Özil scored his first goal of the 2015–16 season in a 3–0 home victory over Manchester United on 4 October. He had earlier assisted Alexis Sánchez to give the Gunners the lead in the sixth minute of the match.

He set a new Premier League record being the first player to assist in six consecutive matches when setting up Kieran Gibbs' for 1–1 in the derby versus Tottenham on 8 November 2015

Özil continued his run of good form by providing four assists in the next three games, against Aston Villa, Manchester City and Sunderland, helping his team win all three matches.  (In case you are wondering he assisted both Arsenal goals against Manchester City in a 2-1 win)

So... against Liverpool, Spurs, Manchester United and Manchester city he has contributed to either the opening goal or the second goal in either a win or a draw.

i guess now would be the time to say that in the biggest club game of them all, El classico, he has opened the scoring twice and on two other occasions has assisted equalisers.

Don't be coming round here with your new fangled fancy facts and figures. 

2 hours ago, cider-manc said:

Some cracking assist stats there.  Rooney has more league assists than Ozil this season apparently.  Must mean he is better! 

Sounds like he has scored some important goals then, 2 or 3 in big games. Something an excellent player would do I suppose and I agree he is excellent.

Isnt world class though is he

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Some cracking assist stats there.  Rooney has more league assists than Ozil this season apparently.  Must mean he is better! 

Sounds like he has scored some important goals then, 2 or 3 in big games. Something an excellent player would do I suppose and I agree he is excellent.

Isnt world class though is he

So he isn't world class because he doesn't contribute in big games.

Then when its shown he does you change the criteria.

Then when the changed criteria is met you say that doesn't make him world class.

You aren't even giving a counter argument. Just sticking you fingers in your ear and shouting "HE ISN'T WORLD CLASS, HE ISN'T WORLD CLASS LA LA LA LA LA"

25 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

So he isn't world class because he doesn't contribute in big games.

Then when its shown he does you change the criteria.

Then when the changed criteria is met you say that doesn't make him world class.

You aren't even giving a counter argument. Just sticking you fingers in your ear and shouting "HE ISN'T WORLD CLASS, HE ISN'T WORLD CLASS LA LA LA LA LA"

I'm going to look at in more in depth when I have the time to prove my points.  My above point is another example of assist stats being incredibly misleading 

Archived