IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

• Admin

Thought it interesting that Bristol Rugby have a giant poster at Temple Meads advertising season tickets, with a deadline of 5pm May 18th to purchase by

There is no indication on what day of the week the home games will be played on yet (obviously expressed interest in a Saturday) I wonder how all those people involved with combination clubs are getting on?

On 26/03/2018 at 20:56, MichaelRobartes said:

Was the penalty try from a scrum? If so that's up there with scoring off a driving maul as the best try you can score.

Sorry Michael, I must disagree with you concerning the best try - I know you were referring to the type of try (forwards), rather than just the best try, but....;).

https://www.google.fr/search?q=barbarians+famous+try&oq=abarbarians+famous+try&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.10321j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Should anybody actually watch the link (featuring the late Cliff Morgan at his finest), pay attention to some of the slightly (cough) high tackles - imagine such tackles in today's game - and the muted celebrations for such a wonderful try.

As an aside, how many of you (Michael excluded) can name (without searching on Google) the bald-headed NZ scrum half and the Barbarians hooker who took the line out at the start of the link? They were both great heroes of mine back then.

Concerning the hooker, quite a poignant story:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/ireland/9857630/Six-Nations-2013-the-day-John-Pullins-England-turned-up-40-years-ago-t

Finally, on the subject of what seems to be a slightly controversial name for Bristol - Bristol Bears - just embrace it.

Over here (Paris), we were treated for several years to the extravaganza of Stade Francais and their eccentric and somewhat flamboyant President, Max Guazzini, who, for reasons best known to himself, chose to dress his teams in garish, pink themed outfits and, often attracting 80,000 crowds and arranging for pre-match entertainment (including female cheerleaders), appealed to and oiutraged both hard-core, traditional rugby fans and the general public alike - wonderful entertainment and a fantastic night out for all the family. 

51 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Hoping for a 2nd place finish, might not get in to the quarter finals though... 

Looking forward to some European rugby back at ashton gate though! 

If Bristol pick a reasonably strong side they should be looking to get at least 18 points from the Zebre and Ensei matches, that would set them on the way to the knockouts. I suppose they'll be targeting survival but if they get a good start in the league they might want a European run as well. I was hoping they'd draw Connacht but maybe next year they'll be playing Munster in the Heineken. @Woodsy's mob have that dubious honour for the coming season.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

If Bristol pick a reasonably strong side they should be looking to get at least 18 points from the Zebre and Ensei matches, that would set them on the way to the knockouts. I suppose they'll be targeting survival but if they get a good start in the league they might want a European run as well. I was hoping they'd draw Connacht but maybe next year they'll be playing Munster in the Heineken. @Woodsy's mob have that dubious honour for the coming season.

Ah, Munster - we meet again!
Looking forward to that one already, always a pleasure to welcome your lot. Just hoping for a nicer outcome this time around!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Ah, Munster - we meet again!
Looking forward to that one already, always a pleasure to welcome your lot. Just hoping for a nicer outcome this time around!

The Shed will be redder than usual. Hope I can get a ticket this time, fantastic ground and fans.

4 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Bristol sign george smith for next season. 

Not a bad signing I guess... 

He might be a billion years old but he still doesn't look too bad whenever I see him for the Reds in Super Rugby. It won't hurt anyway.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

The Shed will be redder than usual. Hope I can get a ticket this time, fantastic ground and fans.

He might be a billion years old but he still doesn't look too bad whenever I see him for the Reds in Super Rugby. It won't hurt anyway.

And he'll be excellent for the younger back rowers in the squad. Very shrewd piece of business, even if he is 38

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

It's on BT! 

Going to be a great night, hopefully with a Bristol win... 

Ooops that's right, Sky was last year. I think we will have the momentum from last year and the home crowd to turn them over. They have quite a few injuries in their backs, if the England injury list is to be believed.

Really looking forward to it, should be a great atmosphere if nothing else.

• Like 1