IGNORED

Jamie Paterson

Londoner

Seen people slate him after yesterday's performance, personally think he had quite a good game.

People seem to think he is a winger who runs down the line etc....that has NEVER been his game....whether at Walsall, forest and Huddersfield he has always b en someone who cuts inside....that's his game.

Yesterday I thought he was one of the very few DIRECT players we had....running at the oppo at pace....yes he slowed the game down occasionally, maybe due to a lack of options available.

Ive been impressed with him since signing, and i think fans need to understand 1)he isn't going to play well every week 2)he isn't regularly going to beat people on the outside....not his game!

In terms of our wide men....COD, Bryan, Freeman etc....I think he has been BY FAR our best player compared to those listed

He was frustrating yesterday. Carrying the ball forward he was probably our most direct player and you can't fault his work ethic.

However throughout the entire game there was so much space in front of Litts that he could have exploited, if he'd received the ball out wide and then cut inside that would have been fine, but little so rarely had an option of anyone to pass to because Pato was in the congested midfield. Some blame should also be placed on Pato for their second goal. If Pato is in the RW position where he should be then Gaz has an option to pass to, he wasn't where Gaz expected, Gaz got caught on the ball and they broke. There were also countless times where Litts was in a more advanced position than Pato on the right because Pato just refused to exploit the space down the right. 

Good and bad points to his game yesterday, but I agree he has been our best wide player this season. Personally don't know what was up with Joe Bryan yesterday though who is been very poor in his last few appearances. 

Patterson, Brownhill, O'dowda, all the same. Don't effect the game enough, too lightweight, inconsistent and up to now very disappointing. Nowhere near as effective as Bobby Reid who is, far this season, is worth a place in the team in front of any of them. 

33 minutes ago, Turbored said:

Certainly a game of opinions, runs sideways or backwards, the same for his passing and never gets a shot in when the opportunity arises. He really reminds me of a poor Campbell-rice , the thing with Campbell-rice though he did get shots in and even scored a few.

Paterson is 5 times the player of JCR....as for goals....equivalent of 1 in 30 isn't someone who scored a few 

19 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Paterson is 5 times the player of JCR....as for goals....equivalent of 1 in 30 isn't someone who scored a few 

Let's hope he comes good, but from what I seen he don't offer a lot and needs to be more direct. He could certainly learn a lot from Tomlin, when Tomlin gets the ball he will always try to go forward , he needs to take note and realise the goals are at the end of the pitch and not the sides.

40 minutes ago, Turbored said:

Let's hope he comes good, but from what I seen he don't offer a lot and needs to be more direct. He could certainly learn a lot from Tomlin, when Tomlin gets the ball he will always try to go forward , he needs to take note and realise the goals are at the end of the pitch and not the sides.

Your implying that he hasn't been good enough for us so far.....when he has been one of our best players!

He's trying to be a Tomlin in a team with Tomlin. I don't think there is space for both of them. They're both at their best behind the striker but Tomlin is better. He's not a winger and that hurt us last night. It's not that he's a bad player but we're trying to accommodate him by playing him out of position. Get creative and play him with Tammy and Tomlin in behind and have them play some quick touch football around the box but don't ask him to be a winger because he won't do it. I don't mind cutting inside after you get the ball but he needs to keep the width. We make the pitch so much smaller by not having proper wingers. Making it easy to defend 

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

He's trying to be a Tomlin in a team with Tomlin. I don't think there is space for both of them. They're both at their best behind the striker but Tomlin is better. He's not a winger and that hurt us last night. It's not that he's a bad player but we're trying to accommodate him by playing him out of position. Get creative and play him with Tammy and Tomlin in behind and have them play some quick touch football around the box but don't ask him to be a winger because he won't do it. I don't mind cutting inside after you get the ball but he needs to keep the width. We make the pitch so much smaller by not having proper wingers. Making it easy to defend 

I don't think Paterson best position is behind the striker at all....he is a wide player who cuts in.

8 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Your implying that he hasn't been good enough for us so far.....when he has been one of our best players!

I don't think he has been that good but not having a consistent line up around him hasn't helped. With the chopping and changing it's hard to get that run of good performances. We really need to get a solid starting lineup and push on from there , it seems LJ doesn't know his best team or has niggling doubts on people.

17 minutes ago, Londoner said:

I don't think Paterson best position is behind the striker at all....he is a wide player who cuts in.

Except he's never wide. It's not cutting in when he's off the ball. It's him out of position. There were times when he was getting in Joe Bryan's way because he ended up on the left! He's been a disappointment to be honest. What looked like good business at the time is turning out to be a wasted fee. He's got flash and skill but it seems he wants to be the star and tries a bit too much and doesn't do the simple things. It's quite obvious he's not a winger and that's what has been hurting us lately. 

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Except he's never wide. It's not cutting in when he's off the ball. It's him out of position. There were times when he was getting in Joe Bryan's way because he ended up on the left! He's been a disappointment to be honest. What looked like good business at the time is turning out to be a wasted fee. He's got flash and skill but it seems he wants to be the star and tries a bit too much and doesn't do the simple things. It's quite obvious he's not a winger and that's what has been hurting us lately. 

I think that's very harsh and completely wrong

2 hours ago, aa_bcfc said:

Patterson, Brownhill, O'dowda, all the same. Don't effect the game enough, too lightweight, inconsistent and up to now very disappointing. Nowhere near as effective as Bobby Reid who is, far this season, is worth a place in the team in front of any of them. 

None of our players who've played in the wide positions have hit the heights we desire...yet.  That's been the main disappointment for me this season.  Paterson has the ability to name a real mark, and then it's a toss-up for the other spot.  I'm beginning to wonder whether we might need to go Xmas-tree or 442 though.  I could see a base of Smith, Pack and O'Neil, with Reid and Tomlin behind Abraham....but I would really like to see Abraham and Engvall have a go together in a 442.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

He's a better version of Freeman. Was certainly one of our best yesterday (not saying a lot mind) 

Yes, thought that too.  Lack of options and movement in front of him didn't help him, but I thought he looked our most effective player on the ball yesterday.  In fairness, O'Dowda did ok when he came on.

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I suppose giving him a few months before writing him off is too much to ask 

7 hours ago, Kotsy said:

He was frustrating yesterday. Carrying the ball forward he was probably our most direct player and you can't fault his work ethic.

However throughout the entire game there was so much space in front of Litts that he could have exploited, if he'd received the ball out wide and then cut inside that would have been fine, but little so rarely had an option of anyone to pass to because Pato was in the congested midfield. Some blame should also be placed on Pato for their second goal. If Pato is in the RW position where he should be then Gaz has an option to pass to, he wasn't where Gaz expected, Gaz got caught on the ball and they broke. There were also countless times where Litts was in a more advanced position than Pato on the right because Pato just refused to exploit the space down the right. 

Good and bad points to his game yesterday, but I agree he has been our best wide player this season. Personally don't know what was up with Joe Bryan yesterday though who is been very poor in his last few appearances. 

I think Joe is in two minds about what he is suppose to be doing, LJ seems determined to convert him to a defender and i personally don't think that's his best postion. He has always been better going forward and especially using the wing and cutting in,  OK, lets get him tracking back more, if needed, but please LJ don't ruin the boys confidence by playing him out of position,  otherwise a good player may be turned into an average one.

1 hour ago, Donkeeebles said:

I suppose giving him a few months before writing him off is too much to ask 

I don't know if I'm writing him off. Just expecting more from him. Sometimes players just don't fit at a club. For me, he doesn't look a natural fit here. Better players at his preferred position and he played out of position. I can't see it changing. It was a worthwhile gamble but I can't see him being a consistent contributor in this team. If we signed a right sided wing player I think he'd be on the bench more often than not. I'm happy for him to play better and prove me wrong but it's my opinion of him. It seemed odd when we signed him but I was happy we did I just don't think we will get the best of him where he's playing and Tomlin and Reid I think may keep him from playing where he'd be more dangerous 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don't know if I'm writing him off. Just expecting more from him. Sometimes players just don't fit at a club. For me, he doesn't look a natural fit here. Better players at his preferred position and he played out of position. I can't see it changing. It was a worthwhile gamble but I can't see him being a consistent contributor in this team. If we signed a right sided wing player I think he'd be on the bench more often than not. I'm happy for him to play better and prove me wrong but it's my opinion of him. It seemed odd when we signed him but I was happy we did I just don't think we will get the best of him where he's playing and Tomlin and Reid I think may keep him from playing where he'd be more dangerous 

I find it bizarre you can even say that after 2 months, especially as the first of those months he actually played well. 

Hope he proves you wrong too 

7 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

This is spot on, as was another comment that refers to him as a better version of Freeman. So so infuriating to see him cutting inside every single time he got the ball. Even if he took on a few players he still had a negative overall impact on the team because of a total disregard for his position and responsibilities, and ultimately only served to congest the midfield and give us a terrible shape over 90 minutes.

You might get away with it against the likes of Blackburn, but against the bigger sides shape is so important; if his natural game is to cut in and basically stand in Tomlins position then he shouldn't be playing in these games. Poor old Mark Little  (who as we we all know is limited with the ball anyway, as much as he tries his best) was essentially required to play wing back and it was ridiculous to watch. 

1 hour ago, Donkeeebles said:

I find it bizarre you can even say that after 2 months, especially as the first of those months he actually played well. 

Hope he proves you wrong too 

It's just my opinion. I think he's a good player just out of position. Think his best game was against Forest when Tomlin was suspended and he could be the go to creator. I feel he was more of a luxury buy that were are now trying to accommodate by playing him on the wing. The reason I say I don't think he fits is because we have that type of player in Tomlin already and can't see Paterson getting too many chances to play his preferred spot thus not fitting in. That is my perspective anyway. You can make an assumption based on past history. Benteke to Liverpool seemed an odd one to me from the start as well as an example. Just more of a feeling or hypothesis based on what I've seen from player and team. They can go either way and still time for JP to prove it wrong. 

On Saturday, as many attacks died on the feet of Paterson and Tomlin as on the feet of Brighton defenders because they overplayed it so much. I like Paterson as a player, but he needs to stop thinking so much. To be fair to him though, those two early games meant that Brighton could defend deep and deny him space in the final third, but he needs to learn to play in all situations

On 11/6/2016 at 15:28, BRISTOL86 said:

He's a better version of Freeman. Was certainly one of our best yesterday (not saying a lot mind) 

Whilst i think Paterson is a decent player, the one thing that Freeman gives us is that he stays wide and doesn't keep moving inside and taking Tomlin's space. We are far more difficult to defend against when Freeman is in the team in my opinion

Archived