IGNORED

14 England players from Bristol....

Tinmans Love Child

Had a quick look into this and found this article...

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/play-national-bristol-football-team/story-19650976-detail/story.html

Has there ever been a less informed piece written with clear proof of an inherent bias to the gas?

They manage to shoehorn in Marcus Stewart ALMOST playing for England while ignoring all three City players that have played for England while still with us. Instead they highlight Scott Murray as a Scotland B International as one of our closest!

Charles Wreford-Brown. Born in Clifton. Played for the Corinthians and captained England in two internationals in the 1890's. It was he who is credited with first shortening " Association Football " to " Soccer:"  c.f. "Rugger" for the egg chasing game.

Later an England Selector before they had a "Manager"

I don't think Darren Peacock played for the full England team.

I can add to those already mentioned Phil Taylor who got 3 full caps in 1948 whilst playing for Liverpool.

By my calculations we have :-

Wreford-Brown, Wedlock, Cottle , Britton, Hapgood, Taylor, Bentley, Milton, Bradford, Mabbutt, Lloyd, Curle, and Butland.

if I am correct, and I stand to be corrected,  that's 13...........and who is the fourteenth???

I'm fairly confident that with the addition of Phil Taylor, we haven't missed anyone who played post 2nd war.

So perhaps, Billy Jones has been counted as he played for us when he was capped. He was born in Brighton according to David Woods first City book.

I'm still curious about Big John. Is he in the six from Wilts or the only one from Somerset? 

1 hour ago, rolandbrisc said:

I don't think Darren Peacock played for the full England team.

I can add to those already mentioned Phil Taylor who got 3 full caps in 1948 whilst playing for Liverpool.

By my calculations we have :-

Wreford-Brown, Wedlock, Cottle , Britton, Hapgood, Taylor, Bentley, Milton, Bradford, Mabbutt, Lloyd, Curle, and Butland.

if I am correct, and I stand to be corrected,  that's 13...........and who is the fourteenth???

Ronnie Dix?

12 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Roy Bentley 12 caps also born in Bristol. Still alive at 92 years.

I note 6 came from Wiltshire and wonder if one is John Atyeo, who many incorrectly believe was born in that county. Whereas he was born in Standerwick which is in Somerset.

Thought it was Dilton Marsh,where they have a street named after him.Close by though.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

That was where he grew up and lived, his biography made it clear he was actually Somerset born.

He played cricket for Somerset Second XI in the days when one had to be born in a county to represent a County Cricket team. If he had been born in Dilton Marsh or anywhere else in Wiltshire, he could only have represented Wiltshire in the Minor counties.

10 hours ago, NOTBLUE said:

Thought it was Dilton Marsh,where they have a street named after him.Close by though.

The road is "Atyeo Close" which runs through the orchard at the side of his house in High Street, Dilton Marsh. I used to live in Frome and drove past his house going to/from Westbury station to get to Ashton Gate for home games. I saw his first game for City in 1951 v Newport County, his last v Ipswich in 1966 and a lot in between. Great footballer and man. 

Archived