IGNORED

The Official Birmingham City v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Good day everyone. 

As a crow might fly St. Andrews is a mile closer to Ashton Gate than The Hawthorns, 78 miles to 79. By car St. Andrews becomes a rather awkward place to reach and according to various maps is between 92 and 100 miles with The Baggies easily reached off the M5 in 89 miles. All in all though rather little difference.

The history of our opponents has been well discussed in previous threads of the same fixture so I would like to talk about China and the West Midlands today folks.

There is a rather cold wind blowing through the UK's second city in recent times. That, according to some fans from the four largest clubs in the West Midlands, is because of the Chinese revolution of takeovers. First it was Hong Kong based Carsen Yeung who bought Birmingham City in 2009 and then, this summer, Dr. Tony Xia bought Aston Villa, Guochuan Lai bought West Bromwich Albion and Mr. Guo Guangchang's Fosun International bought Wolverhampton Wanderers. The company was founded in Hong Kong but has its HQ in Shanghai. Apparently Wolves now have the fourth wealthiest owner amongst the 92 league clubs with Guo's personal wealth of 4.1 Billion according to Forbes.

250 miles south west of Shanghai is Quzhou, the birthplace of Xia Jiantong now known as Tony Xia and the new owner of Villa. His background is rather more, shall we say, obscure, than that of Guangchang and I, for one, would be a lot more comfortable and optimistic with the prospects of Wolves in the relative near term. But of course reputation and perceptions can be misleading and mired in obfuscation. 

Meanwhile, its back to Shanghai for the new owners of West Brom. Guochuan Lai's Yunyi Guokai (Shanghai) Sports Development company bought the Baggies in September claiming to have been a supporter since 1978. Somewhat of an odd statement considering he would have been just two years old at the time. That might have been around the time City went up to the Hawthorns and won with a single goal from Gerry Sweeney. As I recall my Dad and eldest brother went for that match and promptly broke down a few short miles from the ground courtesy of the 'big end' going according to a later mechanic report in the Morris 1800. 

And so back to our opponents today; Birmingham City have recently completed the majority sale, presumably by representatives of the Hong Kong incarcerated Carsen Yeung, to a Paul Suen Cho Hung and his Trillion Trophy Asia company. In turn this company is owned by Wealthy Associates International Limited registered in Tortola, British Virgin Islands. And that offshore company is wholly owned by Paul Suen. Suen has holdings in energy and marine businesses as well as other diversified interests. 

From the relatively little one can dig up from openly available sources it appears, at least on the face of it, that both Villa and Birmingham have less reason to be cheerful, if any cheer can be had at all from a foreign takeover, than either Wolves or West Brom. While all 4 clubs are now controlled by men of Chinese birth they all possess an international education and global business interests. The latter two clubs just seem to have made more clean and better sales than either Villa and Birmingham City. The one possible shining star, for Birmingham fans at least, is the fact that Paul Suen has a reputation for clearing up the mess of distressed companies and the club most certainly fits into that category; they should have a man who can invest in the club, perhaps not to the extent we will likely see at West Brom and almost for sure at Wolves, but make them challengers for promotion. Hong Kong's Suen is, after all, known as 'The King of Penny Stocks'.

All of that aside my burning question is why 4 clubs within a radius of about 30 miles have all fallen to Chinese owners, three from in or fairly close to Shanghai and one from Hong Kong? That journey started with Birmingham, of course, in 2009 and since which the Chinese community in the West Midlands, which is significant, has watched Brummie football. There are, for example, around 35,000 Chinese students, alone, studying in the West Midlands so its a bit of a magnet. The Chinese also tend to buy things well over perceived market value, because they can. So, en masse, the 4 clubs probably have huge potential to now market themselves to China and that was no doubt a partial reason for all 4 clubs falling into Chinese hands in fairly quick succession; and not when they became publicly available or at least rumoured to be. There were, for example, discussions going on behind the scenes at West Brom for some months. The challenge will be to grow these clubs all of which, including Villa, are not modern day household names outside the UK or Europe. There is also the question as to whether these owners have the acumen or understanding to do so. We have all seen how a savvy foreign businessman has come in and completely messed up a football club with its peculiar idiosyncrasies and Britishness.

One thing I do find interesting and I think probably bodes well is how all four now have British coaches or managers. How much time each one is given remains to be seen but perhaps the Chinese owners prove more competent and more patient than the likes of those at the helm of Charlton, Leeds and Blackburn and two of those have now gone back to British managers. 

Gary Rowett seems to have managed the turbulence at St. Andrews rather well and he has Birmingham purring along rather nicely. I believe he and Lee know each other well. It will be an interesting spectacle with both men on the touchline today. And, like most of our matches this season, a close encounter seems to be a likely outcome. I am quite happy if we win by a Fulham style thrashing of course.

Can we edge it by a single goal? The international break in football can throw up bizarre results so who knows.

Well done to all those going today, hope its an enjoyable drive and we have a positive result at 5pm. 

UTC.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 16
1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone. 

As a crow might fly St. Andrews is a mile closer to Ashton Gate than The Hawthorns, 78 miles to 79. By car St. Andrews becomes a rather awkward place to reach and according to various maps is between 92 and 100 miles with The Baggies easily reached off the M5 in 89 miles. All in all though rather little difference.

The history of our opponents has been well discussed in previous threads of the same fixture so I would like to talk about China and the West Midlands today folks.

There is a rather cold wind blowing through the UK's second city in recent times. That, according to some fans from the four largest clubs in the West Midlands, is because of the Chinese revolution of takeovers. First it was Hong Kong based Carsen Yeung who bought Birmingham City in 2009 and then, this summer, Dr. Tony Xia bought Aston Villa, Guochuan Lai bought West Bromwich Albion and Mr. Guo Guangchang's Fosun International bought Wolverhampton Wanderers. The company was founded in Hong Kong but has its HQ in Shanghai. Apparently Wolves now have the fourth wealthiest owner amongst the 92 league clubs with Guo's personal wealth of 4.1 Billion according to Forbes.

250 miles south west of Shanghai is Quzhou, the birthplace of Xia Jiantong now known as Tony Xia and the new owner of Villa. His background is rather more, shall we say, obscure, than that of Guangchang and I, for one, would be a lot more comfortable and optimistic with the prospects of Wolves in the relative near term. But of course reputation and perceptions can be misleading and mired in obfuscation. 

Meanwhile, its back to Shanghai for the new owners of West Brom. Guochuan Lai's Yunyi Guokai (Shanghai) Sports Development company bought the Baggies in September claiming to have been a supporter since 1978. Somewhat of an odd statement considering he would have been just two years old at the time. That might have been around the time City went up to the Hawthorns and won with a single goal from Gerry Sweeney. As I recall my Dad and eldest brother went for that match and promptly broke down a few short miles from the ground courtesy of the 'big end' going according to a later mechanic report in the Morris 1800. 

And so back to our opponents today; Birmingham City have recently completed the majority sale, presumably by representatives of the Hong Kong incarcerated Carsen Yeung, to a Paul Suen Cho Hung and his Trillion Trophy Asia company. In turn this company is owned by Wealthy Associates International Limited registered in Tortola, British Virgin Islands. And that offshore company is wholly owned by Paul Suen. Suen has holdings in energy and marine businesses as well as other diversified interests. 

From the relatively little one can dig up from openly available sources it appears, at least on the face of it, that both Villa and Birmingham have less reason to be cheerful, if any cheer can be had at all from a foreign takeover, than either Wolves or West Brom. While all 4 clubs are now controlled by men of Chinese birth they all possess an international education and global business interests. The latter two clubs just seem to have made more clean and better sales than either Villa and Birmingham City. The one possible shining star, for Birmingham fans at least, is the fact that Paul Suen has a reputation for clearing up the mess of distressed companies and the club most certainly fits into that category; they should have a man who can invest in the club, perhaps not to the extent we will likely see at West Brom and almost for sure at Wolves, but make them challengers for promotion. Hong Kong's Suen is, after all, known as 'The King of Penny Stocks'.

All of that aside my burning question is why 4 clubs within a radius of about 30 miles have all fallen to Chinese owners, three from in or fairly close to Shanghai and one from Hong Kong? That journey started with Birmingham, of course, in 2009 and since which the Chinese community in the West Midlands, which is significant, has watched Brummie football. There are, for example, around 35,000 Chinese students, alone, studying in the West Midlands so its a bit of a magnet. The Chinese also tend to buy things well over perceived market value, because they can. So, en masse, the 4 clubs probably have huge potential to now market themselves to China and that was no doubt a partial reason for all 4 clubs falling into Chinese hands in fairly quick succession; and not when they became publicly available or at least rumoured to be. There were, for example, discussions going on behind the scenes at West Brom for some months. The challenge will be to grow these clubs all of which, including Villa, are not modern day household names outside the UK or Europe. There is also the question as to whether these owners have the acumen or understanding to do so. We have all seen how a savvy foreign businessman has come in and completely messed up a football club with its peculiar idiosyncrasies and Britishness.

One thing I do find interesting and I think probably bodes well is how all four now have British coaches or managers. How much time each one is given remains to be seen but perhaps the Chinese owners prove more competent and more patient than the likes of those at the helm of Charlton, Leeds and Blackburn and two of those have now gone back to British managers. 

Gary Rowett seems to have managed the turbulence at St. Andrews rather well and he has Birmingham purring along rather nicely. I believe he and Lee know each other well. It will be an interesting spectacle with both men on the touchline today. And, like most of our matches this season, a close encounter seems to be a likely outcome. I am quite happy if we win by a Fulham style thrashing of course.

Can we edge it by a single goal? The international break in football can throw up bizarre results so who knows.

Well done to all those going today, hope its an enjoyable drive and we have a positive result at 5pm. 

UTC.

Thanks Hav,interesting read-wonder do the gas have such insightful match day threads I wonder??!..

Edited by Robert the bruce
Autocorrect .!
1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone. 

UTC.

Condensed Version

Birmingham

A bird flying from Ashton Gate can shit quicker on St Andrews than it can on The Hawthorns.

Birmingham should now be called China Town.

City 2-1 for me

Bye from Adelaide

• Like 5
1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Good post Hava, as always. Just one question - why would a crow want to fly from Bristol to Birmingham?  

We know a song about a crow flying over football grounds, don't we children?

Well, those of us of a certain age do.

• Like 4

Ah, the City match thread returns, thank God.  We have our Saturday back!

Agree, today and next Saturday will be tough games, and a bloody good marker of how good we are against the clubs that will lurk ominously around the play off places.

A point will be a good return, a win would be outstanding.

I'm going for a 1-1 draw, with Kevin Abraham scoring our goal, assisted by Kevin Tomlin.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Ah, the City match thread returns, thank God.  We have our Saturday back!

Agree, today and next Saturday will be tough games, and a bloody good marker of how good we are against the clubs that will lurk ominously around the play off places.

A point will be a good return, a win would be outstanding.

I'm going for a 1-1 draw, with Kevin Abraham scoring our goal, assisted by Kevin Tomlin.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

So Kevin Fielding will only be beaten the once as well. Good stuff. A lot depends on how well Kevin Flint and Kevin Magnusson can control their forwards though.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone. 

UTC.

Top motor the Land crab.

With cars of that era it was always the big end or a cracked engine block that finished them off , or rust !

Still an era , like the music , when everything was n't homogenous .

I predict a hard match for both teams with us to nick it .

• Like 1
3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

obfuscation

As ever a informative and insightful preview Havanatopia and only the third instance of word obfuscation being used in over 2.5 million posts!

And is case you don't fully understand its meaning, like me, this is what Wkii says:

Obfuscation is the obscuring of intended meaning in communication, making the message confusing, wilfully ambiguous, or harder to understand. It may be intentional or unintentional (although the former is usually connoted) and may result from circumlocution (yielding wordiness) or from use of jargon or even argot (yielding economy of words but excluding outsiders from the communicative value). Unintended obfuscation in expository writing is usually a natural trait of early drafts in the writing process, when the composition is not yet advanced, and it can be improved with critical thinking and revising, either by the writer or by another person with sufficient reading comprehension and editing skills.