Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
Ray White

Osagi Bascome

Played well for our U23s against Portsmouth today. A quick Google reveals he's Bermudan, played for Levante and is a midfielder. The match report doesn't say whether he's ours or on trial. Does anyone have any more info? I wish our youth setup got a bit more coverage...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ray White said:

Played well for our U23s against Portsmouth today. A quick Google reveals he's Bermudan, played for Levante and is a midfielder. The match report doesn't say whether he's ours or on trial. Does anyone have any more info? I wish our youth setup got a bit more coverage...

I wish it had better coverage too...other clubs do, and it's often their footage showing us play.

There is a bit of footage of him when he was younger on YouTube when at Valencia.

For some reason Edgar David's came into my head...probably the hair that did it ;-)

Photograph by Akil Simmons   Next generation: Cousins Drewonde, left, and Osagi are likely to play in the same Bermuda team in next Wednesday’s Caribbean Cup second-round match away to French Guiana

Photograph by Akil Simmons Next generation: Cousins Drewonde, left, and Osagi are likely to play in the same Bermuda team in next Wednesday’s Caribbean Cup second-round match away to French Guiana

• File photo by Arthur Bean  Asagi Bascome (centre left) with his brothers (clockwise) Onias, Oronde and Okera and cousin Nzari Paynter (front) in this 2003 photo.

File photo by Arthur Bean Asagi Bascome (centre left) with his brothers (clockwise) Onias, Oronde and Okera and cousin Nzari Paynter (front) in this 2003 photo.

Osagi Bascome left the island yesterday on his first international trip with Bermuda, joining cousin Drewonde Bascome in the squad for the Caribbean Cup second-round match against French Guiana.

It has turned out to be cricket’s loss as the 18-year-old midfielder could easily have been named alongside his brothers Onias and Okera in the Bermuda training squad which is also preparing for the World Cricket League Division Four tournament

He was a talented young bowler before moving to England with his family several years ago.

Bascome, a former Bermuda Under-17 and Under 15 player, has now opted to concentrate on football and plays for Levante’s academy in Spain after a stint at Valencia.

He is part of a youthful Bermuda team which arrived in Florida yesterday for a training camp to prepare for Wednesday’s match against French Guiana in Cayenne.

“It’s a great compliment, I feel I’m ready to represent Bermuda and I think we can do the country proud,” said Bascome, who speaks fluent Spanish.

“I was at Valencia the first year and then I moved to Levante, who just got relegated into the Second Division.

“Even though I’m still young I have a lot of experience playing outside of Bermuda and I think that can help the country a lot. I think I bring a lot to the team.”

Bascome comes from a family of sportsmen, his father Herbie and uncles Andrew, the Bermuda coach, and David were all top footballers.

He also got his cricketing ability from his father, as well as his mother Carla’s side of the family, the Foggos from St George’s.

With football his first love, cricket ended up being the loser, although two of his brothers, Oronde and Onias, have played Cup Match for St George’s like their father, uncle Gregg and grandfather Gregory Foggo.

“I had to choose, I couldn’t be a professional in cricket and football so I chose the one I love more,” Bascome said. “Now I just play cricket for fun.”

The decision to move to England and then to Spain is paying off for Bascome, who hopes to play professionally in either England or Spain.

“England is always an option, I’ll just see where my career takes me,” Bascome said. “I was just ten when I left Bermuda.”

Not 18 until January, presumably he is a trialist with a view to a permanent deal?

That last bloke we had from Bermuda was pretty decent, as "The Goat" is back home now I wonder if he put in a good word for us?

• Like 7

I also agree it would be good if the club could give more information on the youngsters. news on trialist.  players we have signed or looking at. u  tend to hear more on football websites such has newsnow and HTC. 

• Hmmm 1

59 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

I also agree it would be good if the club could give more information on the youngsters. news on trialist.  players we have signed or looking at. u  tend to hear more on football websites such has newsnow and HTC. 

:facepalm: Yes, let's broadcast to the world who we have on trial and what players we are looking at....

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Selred said:

:facepalm: Yes, let's broadcast to the world who we have on trial and what players we are looking at....

When you say...'broadcast to the world'...you mean available to fans to read?

Trialists are noticed straight away by Scouts at most games, and word spreads like wildfire. It's how it works. Plus previous clubs, players and Agents are constantly talking.

It's no secret where players are trying out. Even the players themselves are often putting it up on social media.

• Like 5

It's a bit of a catch 22 for the club here, we must go through literally hundreds of trial players a season, there isn't any sense in broadcasting them all,

more info on the under 23's is always welcome and I'd hope we get it when the website is run by the club again

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

If a player is named in the public team sheet, does that mean he is already under contract? I thought "triallists" are not named. Or am I mistaken?

This was what made me think he is already contracted to us otherwise why would his actual name be used.

The issue is not contract it's registration. 

The referee must receive a team sheet with real names otherwise players could be multi registered, illegible etc etc. 

once the ref receives the team sheet its published. I'm not sure of the current rules on temporary registration but that is how it supposed to work

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Adam Matthews?

There is  a great player in there somewhere - I hope that Lee can work his magic and get the lad to rediscover his mojo.  Nothing is 100% though, and it takes two to tango!  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

There is  a great player in there somewhere - I hope that Lee can work his magic and get the lad to rediscover his mojo.  Nothing is 100% though, and it takes two to tango!  

He's not fit enough to do the tango!

On 11/24/2016 at 20:13, Ray White said:

@Ray White can you add anymore about the sort of player he is?

Am guessing like many others he has been signed for the development squad

22 hours ago, phantom said:

@Ray White can you add anymore about the sort of player he is?

Am guessing like many others he has been signed for the development squad

@phantom I've never seen him play, I just mentioned he's played well because I think he got an assist and his name was mentioned a lot...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ray White said:

@phantom I've never seen him play, I just mentioned he's played well because I think he got an assist and his name was mentioned a lot...

This is OTIB you don't need to have seen him play to write him off or label him the new Maradona.

• Like 1

I'm sure I read he got released at the end of the 2016/2017 season - can't find the link now though. I try to follow as much of the academy as I can from a far and certainly haven't seen him in any squads for a long time.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CiderCraig said:

According to his Twitter he still lives in Bristol... the plot thickens!

Can't you ask him if you know his twitter account.

Something gentle like ,

" we are all wondering if you are still with the City because we haven't heard anything from the club ? "

• Like 1

He is still in the Bermuda squad, but no mention of which club he plays for.

BERMUDA | Sunday October 14, 2018
Welcome Guest | Subscribe | Log In
logo-royal.png

Nahki Wells has been ruled out for Bermuda’s second Concacaf Nations League match against Sint Maarten at the National Sports Stadium on Friday, while another striker, Lejuan Simmons, is fighting to recover from a hamstring injury.

Wells informed coach Kyle Lightbourne that he was unavailable because of family commitments. Wells, who missed last month’s 3-1 loss to Aruba in Curaçao, has a young family with twin boys born in March. He also relocated temporarily to London from Lancashire after joining Queens Park Rangers on a season-long loan from Burnley.

Friday’s match starts at 7.30pm, with the gates opening at 5.30. Tickets are $25 and can be purchased at ptix.bm or at the Clyde Best Centre of Excellence.

BERMUDA SQUAD

(to face Sint Maarten on Friday): Jahquil Hill, Dale Eve, Dante Leverock, William White, Jaylon Bather, Daren Usher, Donte Brangman, Liam Evans, Osagi Bascome, Willie Clemons, London Steede-Jackson, Zeiko Lewis, Tre Ming, Lejuan Simmons, Cecoy Robinson, Reginald Lambe, Jonte Smith, Tevahn Tyrrell, Roger Lee, Casey Castle, Marco Warren, Calon Minors. Head coach: Kyle Lightbourne. Assistant coach: Ray Jones. Manager: Brendalee White. Goalkeeper coach: John Moreira. Kit manager: Duane Dickinson. Physio: Craig Brown.