IGNORED

Geoff Rose / Hospital Broadcasting Box

Port Said Red

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/geoff-rose-1920-2016-3455528.aspx

Just read this about the sad passing of Geoff Rose, it also mentions something I had forgotten.......... the Hopsital radio Broadcasting box in the corner of the ground. My word that brought back memories of climbing aroound under that structure as a small boy. :)

Slarti is right the Hospital radio box was situated just to the right of the entrance to the Open End (as you look from the pitch) - the Hirerite / Star inn entrance.

Port is also right - the box was a great place to play around especially during reserve games!!

RIP Geoff.

41 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Typically, they can't even get that right .It was the corner of the Williams/Park End....unbelievable .

On a different tack, do they still do HB, or do the patients have to put up with Radio Drivel ?

They do still do HB (BHBS) and commentary on our home games is done by a Gashead who used to be chair of the Rovers Supporters Club!! (not sure if he does every game but nice to see him educating himself!)

51 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Typically, they can't even get that right .It was the corner of the Williams/Park End....unbelievable .

On a different tack, do they still do HB, or do the patients have to put up with Radio Drivel ?

It's great to see people remember it and I would climb around under it too as mentioned by block earlier. Probably picked that up from you older kids. :laugh:. 

Its strange that I have mentioned it a few times over the years and no one I spoke to, including people very closely associated with the club, remembered it. 

So it's good to know I am not completely non compis mentis

31 minutes ago, worthyred said:

They do still do HB (BHBS) and commentary on our home games is done by a Gashead who used to be chair of the Rovers Supporters Club!! (not sure if he does every game but nice to see him educating himself!)

Nice to see Robbered gainfully employed!

4 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

The Grandstand and Open End corner as opposed to the Open End and Old Stand corner stated.

Just to clear up matters Slarti is correct. I was just referring to the areas of the ground pre the name Park End, Dolman Stand  and Williams Stand. They were referred to as Open End, Old Stand and Grandstand.

5 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Being pedantic (why change a habit of a lifetime) it was the corner of the Grandstand  (Williams) and Open End. The Park End is a fairly recent name given to the end now occupied by the Atyeo Stand. 

11 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Being pedantic (why change a habit of a lifetime) it was the corner of the Grandstand  (Williams) and Open End. The Park End is a fairly recent name given to the end now occupied by the Atyeo Stand. 

Being EVEN more pedantic, it was in situe when both names were in common parlance...so there !

Archived