IGNORED

The Official Huddersfield Town v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Seems to me that you have a soft spot for the town of Huddersfield, based on your write-up. I don't think I've ever read one of your introductions so full of praise for a town. Nothing wrong with that of course.I also have a soft spot for Huddersfield Town as it was at their old Leeds Road ground that I witnessed my first ever football match way back in 1967 v QPR - a 2-1 victory for the Terriers. A similar result for City would be most welcome. 

Thank you Havanatopia are you on a commission? You make the area around and about Huddersfield sound totally delightful! No doubt most of the travelling City faithful will see very little of it although as you say their support counts for so much. 

Think we can look forward to a good game with Huddersfield looking to recover from a dip in results while we are looking to build on last weeks home win. So I am lining up alongside SP as I fancy a draw too, think it will be 2-2 with Tammy and Wilbs netting.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

Against a backdrop of Pennine Moors and Peak District parkland you'll find centuries old villages steeped in local history and legend; buildings and locations made famous by writers, film and television; and vibrant towns full of art, creativity and delicious local produce. Huddersfield sits amongst some of the most glorious countryside in England. To survey the vistas for miles around Victoria Tower, atop Castle Hill takes some beating with views across to the western Pennines and Huddersfield and Holmfirth.

Victoria Tower on Castle Hill.jpg

Originally developed as an Iron age hill fort over 4,000 years ago the present tower was built to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee of 1897. This folly rather dominates the scenery but from the top one can see for miles around to many other pristine areas for hill walking and climbing such as Honley Old Wood, the dramatically beautiful Marsden Moor, The ancient Pennine woodland of Hardcastle Crags in Hebden Bridge and of course the Yorkshire Dales. Relics of an industrial bygone age can be found in many of these hill and valley walks especially down by the river of Hardcastle and through a uniquely secluded wooden valley.

Hardcastle craggs.jpg

The huge beech trees planted in the 1870s change to their fantastic autumn colours in October, with beech nuts and crisp copper leaves carpeting the ground. Along the walk you may see numerous species of fungi, growing on the ground, on trees or deadwood. There are also the remains of a huge trestle bridge that once carried a railway track over the deep ravine of Blake Dean. (not the one above! ) For ten years, from 1902, a railway ran from Slack to the site of construction of the Walshaw Dean reservoirs, carrying men and materials. A huge wooden trestle was built across Hebden Dale to carry the railway. It was demolished in 1912. Only the stone stanchions remain. It is fairly easy to spot many different bird species including dippers, heron, woodpeckers and jays.

The area around Hell Hole quarry is particularly interesting following the line of the old railway where you can really imagine the activity and noises of the past. Get the camera out of the bag before you set off: you’re guaranteed to see something to snap, but it might not stay around for long.

Just a small glimpse into one of hundreds of areas of interest around the fine town of Huddersfield with a very proud industrial past. It is a pity that so few of us, who visit away grounds across our green and pleasant land, fail to dwell a while and see what the town and, particularly, the local countryside has to offer; usually a wealth of culture and nature. We all do it, I know I have; drive to a distant location, have some lunch, watch a match and, usually, lets face it, drive straight back again in misery hoping we have not lost ground on those important teams around us. How much more fulfilling it would be to fill our lungs the next morning and forget about football for a while.

And before Tone trots along and slates the place consider this; Kirklees Council, that includes the main settlement of Huddersfield, is home to a remarkable 3,000 listed buildings. Bristol, has just about 10% of that number. That comparison alone is quite staggering all the more so when you consider how much greater the profile our splendid city is. Perhaps Kirklees need to stop barking on about Holmfirth and tell the country more about Huddersfield. John Betjeman did; 'the most splendid station façade in England' second only to St Pancras, London. The station in St George's Square was renovated at a cost of £4 million and subsequently won the Europa Nostra award for European architecture. And for those who like a good statue there is always Harold Wilson, born and raised in Huddersfield. He reminds me now of an oft forgotten time when Labour too bickered over EU membership and many would suggest his management of that omnipresent problem of EU membership, as early as the mid 70's during his second term in office, began tearing that party apart. Many in Huddersfield still love the cuddly pipe smoker though.

And our fellow football fan from Huddersfield has much to be proud of about their club and, clearly, their town. I often used to compare them to Portsmouth mainly because, as I recall, they dwelled in the upper echelons of the football pyramid at some similar junctures, 1920's and 1950's and that without looking up any statistics; it just feels that that is where Huddersfield have come from. A team that has experienced a fairly decent amount of success from a bygone era. And here they are for the first time in perhaps a generation with genuine ambitions to climb back up where they think they might belong. They are no 'smaller' a club than a Bolton or a Blackburn so why not. Mr Wagner has them purring along rather nicely even if, like us, they have hit a bit of a brick wall in recent weeks. And so to today's encounter, one in which we did rather well last season, brings two very ambitious clubs and managers together. Two teams that have worked through trial and error and hard toil. Something both communities share from past heritage. 

I wish I had written this thread a day earlier and maybe one or two of you might have planned a stop over. Nevertheless, however many of you travel the round trip of 406 miles we all salute you. Another absolutely marvellous effort. The 12th man can carry us to draws and victories this season and for sure City do need an away win; we have only two all season. 

So come on City. Again no predictions from me but can we look forward to a clean sheet? Matthews on song again at right back? About time that tall chap up front scored.. naming no names, keeping the pressure off. UTC, enjoy the game fellow reds... lets hope that drive back negates the thought of missing a walk in the Dales.

The MTDs just get better and better.

You're now even go to the trouble of travelling to the area to take photos to post along with the thread - that's real dedication Havana! :)

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The MTDs just get better and better.

You're now even go to the trouble of travelling to the area to take photos to post along with the thread - that's real dedication Havana! :)

I got lost in the beautiful wilderness trying to find Leeds Road then realised they no longer play at that location!

Thank you for the compliments, much appreciated.

10 minutes ago, glastonred said:

Seems to me that you have a soft spot for the town of Huddersfield, based on your write-up. I don't think I've ever read one of your introductions so full of praise for a town. Nothing wrong with that of course.I also have a soft spot for Huddersfield Town as it was at their old Leeds Road ground that I witnessed my first ever football match way back in 1967 v QPR - a 2-1 victory for the Terriers. A similar result for City would be most welcome. 

Not overtly but the area has some pretty stunning scenery in my opinion. That said you could say the same about many towns and cities in the land, naturally Bristol included. :)

Anyway, lets see what Tone has to say about the place for some 'balance' !!

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

It felt like i was reading a transcript for countryfile. Bloody good write up that.

Next week Havana gives tips on lambing for next spring, when to plant your winter wheat and his guide to compost.

• Like 5
38 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Thank you Havanatopia are you on a commission? You make the area around and about Huddersfield sound totally delightful! No doubt most of the travelling City faithful will see very little of it although as you say their support counts for so much. 

Think we can look forward to a good game with Huddersfield looking to recover from a dip in results while we are looking to build on last weeks home win. So I am lining up alongside SP as I fancy a draw too, think it will be 2-2 with Tammy and Wilbs netting.

yes tammys drought is bound to end  soon, then someone is going to cop it,

On the next free weekend (international break) I suggest we all travel en masse to the places mentioned / photographed above, decked out in City shirts, and go on a guided tour.

Havanatopia to lead the walk and talk.

A new City rambling club is born!

Today's game, a 2-1 City win, to celebrate LJ 2020.

COME ON YOU REDS, LET'S MAKE OUR WAY BACK TOWARDS THE TOP SIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

Against a backdrop of Pennine Moors and Peak District parkland you'll find centuries old villages steeped in local history and legend; buildings and locations made famous by writers, film and television; and vibrant towns full of art, creativity and delicious local produce. Huddersfield sits amongst some of the most glorious countryside in England. To survey the vistas for miles around Victoria Tower, atop Castle Hill takes some beating with views across to the western Pennines and Huddersfield and Holmfirth.

Victoria Tower on Castle Hill.jpg

Originally developed as an Iron age hill fort over 4,000 years ago the present tower was built to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee of 1897. This folly rather dominates the scenery but from the top one can see for miles around to many other pristine areas for hill walking and climbing such as Honley Old Wood, the dramatically beautiful Marsden Moor, The ancient Pennine woodland of Hardcastle Crags in Hebden Bridge and of course the Yorkshire Dales. Relics of an industrial bygone age can be found in many of these hill and valley walks especially down by the river of Hardcastle and through a uniquely secluded wooden valley.

Hardcastle craggs.jpg

The huge beech trees planted in the 1870s change to their fantastic autumn colours in October, with beech nuts and crisp copper leaves carpeting the ground. Along the walk you may see numerous species of fungi, growing on the ground, on trees or deadwood. There are also the remains of a huge trestle bridge that once carried a railway track over the deep ravine of Blake Dean. (not the one above! ) For ten years, from 1902, a railway ran from Slack to the site of construction of the Walshaw Dean reservoirs, carrying men and materials. A huge wooden trestle was built across Hebden Dale to carry the railway. It was demolished in 1912. Only the stone stanchions remain. It is fairly easy to spot many different bird species including dippers, heron, woodpeckers and jays.

The area around Hell Hole quarry is particularly interesting following the line of the old railway where you can really imagine the activity and noises of the past. Get the camera out of the bag before you set off: you’re guaranteed to see something to snap, but it might not stay around for long.

Just a small glimpse into one of hundreds of areas of interest around the fine town of Huddersfield with a very proud industrial past. It is a pity that so few of us, who visit away grounds across our green and pleasant land, fail to dwell a while and see what the town and, particularly, the local countryside has to offer; usually a wealth of culture and nature. We all do it, I know I have; drive to a distant location, have some lunch, watch a match and, usually, lets face it, drive straight back again in misery hoping we have not lost ground on those important teams around us. How much more fulfilling it would be to fill our lungs the next morning and forget about football for a while.

And before Tone trots along and slates the place consider this; Kirklees Council, that includes the main settlement of Huddersfield, is home to a remarkable 3,000 listed buildings. Bristol, has just about 10% of that number. That comparison alone is quite staggering all the more so when you consider how much greater the profile our splendid city is. Perhaps Kirklees need to stop barking on about Holmfirth and tell the country more about Huddersfield. John Betjeman did; 'the most splendid station façade in England' second only to St Pancras, London. The station in St George's Square was renovated at a cost of £4 million and subsequently won the Europa Nostra award for European architecture. And for those who like a good statue there is always Harold Wilson, born and raised in Huddersfield. He reminds me now of an oft forgotten time when Labour too bickered over EU membership and many would suggest his management of that omnipresent problem of EU membership, as early as the mid 70's during his second term in office, began tearing that party apart. Many in Huddersfield still love the cuddly pipe smoker though.

And our fellow football fan from Huddersfield has much to be proud of about their club and, clearly, their town. I often used to compare them to Portsmouth mainly because, as I recall, they dwelled in the upper echelons of the football pyramid at some similar junctures, 1920's and 1950's and that without looking up any statistics; it just feels that that is where Huddersfield have come from. A team that has experienced a fairly decent amount of success from a bygone era. And here they are for the first time in perhaps a generation with genuine ambitions to climb back up where they think they might belong. They are no 'smaller' a club than a Bolton or a Blackburn so why not. Mr Wagner has them purring along rather nicely even if, like us, they have hit a bit of a brick wall in recent weeks. And so to today's encounter, one in which we did rather well last season, brings two very ambitious clubs and managers together. Two teams that have worked through trial and error and hard toil. Something both communities share from past heritage. 

I wish I had written this thread a day earlier and maybe one or two of you might have planned a stop over. Nevertheless, however many of you travel the round trip of 406 miles we all salute you. Another absolutely marvellous effort. The 12th man can carry us to draws and victories this season and for sure City do need an away win; we have only two all season. 

So come on City. Again no predictions from me but can we look forward to a clean sheet? Matthews on song again at right back? About time that tall chap up front scored.. naming no names, keeping the pressure off. UTC, enjoy the game fellow reds... lets hope that drive back negates the thought of missing a walk in the Dales.

What a wonderful, poetic piece. Worthy of inclusion in a broadsheet. You're not a Times correspondent by any chance, H?

51 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

It felt like i was reading a transcript for countryfile. Bloody good write up that.

It was indeed a wondrous exposition, but how will he follow it up for Brentford?  What can you say apart from it's close to the M4?

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

On the next free weekend (international break) I suggest we all travel en masse to the places mentioned / photographed above, decked out in City shirts, and go on a guided tour.

Havanatopia to lead the walk and talk.

A new City rambling club is born!

Today's game, a 2-1 City win, to celebrate LJ 2020.

COME ON YOU REDS, LET'S MAKE OUR WAY BACK TOWARDS THE TOP SIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a marvellously obstrensive idea.

35 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

What a wonderful, poetic piece. Worthy of inclusion in a broadsheet. You're not a Times correspondent by any chance, H?

Alas not but feel free to put in a good word Avon ;)

9 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I wandered lonely as a Red, that walks on pies to Vale and the Gills... 

Don't stop ..