IGNORED

Head to Head on youtube

nickolas

10 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Wonder if Tammy scores tonight people will be cheering for the thick one . Even though the questions are easy to some . How do people know he hasn't suffered in the past with problems. Find some comments a bit harsh . So easy to judge people these days. Hope u don't read this forum Tammy . And hope u bang in a couple tonight 

They'll be cheering Tammy the Bristol City player..he's still an idiot though.

56 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I go to the school he used to be at and he was immensely bright according to teachers, got straight A*-A at GCSE

That may be so, in my opinion it I don't think it comes across particularly. Just seems reasonably bright and articulate for a footballer. I know plenty of people who got similar grades at GCSE but didn't do so well at A-Level.

9 hours ago, spudski said:

I don't think it's a slight on Tammy or footballers perse...but across the whole population. Standards in general knowledge as an average are getting lower every year.

As youngsters we all had the same interests as they do today... similar distractions. Be it music, sport, girls etc. Something has gone wrong along the way.

From my travels...With 'Developed' countries...I'd say it was definitely a lot worse in the UK and the States, compared to others.

It's noticeable that General knowledge in youngsters, in far less developed countries, seems to be a lot higher in standard than many that are.

Couldn't have put it better myself although I feel myself sounding like the old fart the kids tell me I am.

Can anybody tell me if there is a minimum age to be be called an "old fart" -  need evidence if I'm to take on the kids!

Don't think the OP set out to turn this into a serious critique on the intellect of young footballers, but I don't share the views of many in this thread and think the unspoken implication is a little harsh: specifically, what were all these kids doing when they could have been learning basic facts or trivia? Well we know the answer (in Tammy's case well documented and reported by LJ): obsessively playing football and perfecting a craft that has put them in the top 0.1% of their chosen endeavours. You can't ask for any more than for someone to work hard to be successful, they've done so in athleticism not intellect.

I imagine there is some sort of equivalent if football fans were taken on a run - I'm sure a few would be blowing out their arse and giving up within minutes and I'm sure a few footballers could express the same sort of amusement and ridicule at folk for failing to manage even a basic level of athleticism. But it all comes down to what you've invested your time in. It would be one thing if we were talking about layabouts who've worked for nothing. The criticism here sounds a little too much like implying a laziness or fecklessness that just isn't warranted - these kids have worked hard, but they applied themselves to football.

I commend them for investing the time they have already spent in their lives to get where they have, and I don't really care what trivia or maths they do and don't know, I'd worry if they weren't athletic and were expecting to be successful in more cerebral or business pursuits. For those not working for something, I agree that there is an evident (or at least overheard) dumbing down that is quite sad. Knowledge is no longer prized or a thing of curiosity for kids, replaced by celebrity gossip and expectations of overnight success. Broken English also seems to be "cool", swear down blud. On that score Tammy's done rather well!

Disagree @Olé, no one is expecting them to answer anything too challenging. Don't think there was much ridicule on this thread, not from me anyway. 

My point was that the questions are basic - because they have to be. No one is expecting footballers to be intellectual behemoths but these are incredibly basic general knowledge questions that you'd expect most of the population to know some answers to. 

Yes they spent a great deal of their time playing football when they were school age - but they still had school. These are the sort of questions you'd know the answers to by attending school or just hearing the news on the radio. 

Neither knew the answer to 'what is the capital of Scotland' - this is basic stuff that everyone should know the answer to, it's not like they were being told to solve a complicated algebra equation.

I don't think anyone was ridiculing either of them, but it is a little bit concerning that neither knew some very basic answers that many 11 year olds would know. 

Fair enough @Phileas Fogg - I didn't want to get into the actual questions as I thought people were making a general point on young footballers intellect and learning, but regarding the capital of Scotland, it does strike me as the sort of fact that could slip through the education process (it's not really a country, if indeed people are still taught countries and capitals, so you probably wouldn't catch it on a test at school).

I suspect you would be more likely to learn about Scotland and what constitutes its administrative capital (!), through family, from experience, and via television or reading. Things like the news. It may be that this sort of passing information passes by kids who play football the entire time. On the other hand Tammy sounds remarkably educated based on the inner city South London yute man dem of his age that I hear daily.

@Phileas Fogg I think best proof is that he also couldn't remember Jennifer Lopez! If he'd sounded dumb but knew all the vacuous pop music and reality TV questions I'd think poorly of him, but it wasn't just geography or maths he couldn't remember - football has well and truly distracted him from everything, J-Lo included. 

7 hours ago, Olé said:

@Phileas Fogg I think best proof is that he also couldn't remember Jennifer Lopez! If he'd sounded dumb but knew all the vacuous pop music and reality TV questions I'd think poorly of him, but it wasn't just geography or maths he couldn't remember - football has well and truly distracted him from everything, J-Lo included. 

It occurred to me that he just didn't know who she was because he's too young. She's like, so (about) 5 years ago (apparently). His personality appears to be someone who might watch films/listen to music etc but just doesn't take in the details - we all know people like that. As someone who has probably been told for years his future is assured in football and has most likely been 'signed up' properly by Chelsea for ages (ie knowing where he's headed), he has no real reason or incentive to know the capital of anywhere. He probably had less time in school than others as academy football would have eaten up some Mon-Fri school time and no matter how this is compensated for, he would have spent any resulting hours catching up by dreaming about being back out on the pitch, not taking in how to work out 20% of something.

Perhaps, also, he just isn't all that academic. Some kids aren't, I know as I've taught a lot of them. And I can state for the record, teaching/learning the capitals of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, is not on any government's agenda, despite Gove's best efforts. The c***. Ahem, anyway... I, however, make sure I get it into lessons as often as I can as I think it's reasonably important - not all teachers share this view, understandably, so Tammy may have gone through school without hearing this. And Phileas, much as I lament, like you, the declining standards of kids these days, I hate to break it to you, but they're never gonna learn anything by "  just hearing the news on the radio". 1. they're not interested in the news (not the kind that includes stuff about, as Ole says, administrative capitals [!!]) and 2. radio?! Really?!!!

I think the H2Hs simply show that a lot of footballers are really good at football and not so hot on...other stuff. It takes a lot of time to get as far as they have, it's no real surprise, not even these questions. Many fans would struggle would a proportion of the Qs, me/you/many of us included. They're a bit of fun (Tomlin was priceless in the last one, claiming the Qs were unfair) and no reflection on those involved in any other way beyond telling us they're just humans. Good thread!

Archived