IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Preston North End Match Day Thread

Good day everyone,

I was fortunate enough to be amongst a group of rather unassuming sailor types this morning. I am not, per sé, a sea faring fan rather a land lover who will always remember the nightmare of a Plymouth to Roscoff Sealink ferry journey back in 1978 when our entire family were heading on an overseas adventure for the first time. Suffice to say the crossing was rough and as we sat in the dining room the ferry pulled out of Plymouth docks and into the swell. One by one we left our breakfasts and headed outside to stick our heads over the side. That memory resonates from time to time as it did this morning when conversation got underway over a similarly hearty breakfast in a Subic Bay waterfront eatery. The gentle tide nudging the shoreline below was the antithesis of that Sealink ferry day, to say the least.

I just like talking about boats of all shapes and sizes especially sailing vessels that don't pollute the waters. Of course we talked about intrepid voyages amongst the South China Sea islands, the jaunts down to Sabah skirting through the Visayas and the southern Philippines before heading out into more open seas for 2 days without a land sighting, something I actually plan to do in the spring with some close friends. We touched on the silly game the Chinese are playing by snatching an unmanned vessel apparently in retaliation for the Trump Taiwan episode just 75 miles offshore from where we were seated. And we discussed how that might play out. A hearty breakfast washed down with Bloody Mary's and Beer. What could be better I thought.

Just as we were close to going our separate ways I asked where one chap was from; I thought he had a small hint of a Bristolian accent throughout our breakfast but it could as easily have been Norwich. You know that lilt, but not quite there, sort of accent. He produced a rather sea battered Bristol City cap from his little ruck sack. 'There is your answer he said'. Marvellous I thought. And before I could say another word he pointed to the chap sitting opposite and said 'And that tosspot supports Preston'. Apart from those two, and myself, none of the other 8 or 9 guys and gals amongst us understood the significance of that remark other than common football rivalry of course. What was more significant was the fact that these two very chaps were about to set off in a 36' sloop in the general direction of Sulawesi, Indonesia through what might be considered some of the most pristine coral reef abundant waters anywhere on the planet. Occasionally inhabited by opportune local pirates too. And just the two of them. What a rather nice coincidence.

One question I did ask, prompted by a fellow poster (please reveal yourself again), was whether Bristol South End had ever played Preston North End. Neither could answer but I have since found out that no such fixture ever took place, at least competitively. The first match between us was in 1901 when the name had already become Bristol City. It was a 0-0. And apart from Preston being 2 ahead in wins since then its all but honours even. There is a kinship between City and Preston if only because we both came up together. Simon Grayson is doing a sterling job on fairly limited reserves of cash. Good on him and good on the Preston fan the likes of which I met up at the Working Men's Club and a welcome was received that will live long in the memory.

Friendship or feeling of goodwill we need to thump somebody 4-0 again. It is long overdue. Lets get the job done. I hope the 2 way radio or satellite signal is good enough this evening so those two opposing sailor fans can listen in as they call into Mindoro in the Visayas. It could be fun and games on that boat.

UTC.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 16
13 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

I was fortunate enough to be amongst a group of rather unassuming sailor types this morning. I am not, per sé, a sea faring fan rather a land lover who will always remember the nightmare of a Plymouth to Roscoff Sealink ferry journey back in 1978 when our entire family were heading on an overseas adventure for the first time. Suffice to say the crossing was rough and as we sat in the dining room the ferry pulled out of Plymouth docks and into the swell. One by one we left our breakfasts and headed outside to stick our heads over the side. That memory resonates from time to time as it did this morning when conversation got underway over a similarly hearty breakfast in a Subic Bay waterfront eatery. The gentle tide nudging the shoreline below was the antithesis of that Sealink ferry day, to say the least.

I just like talking about boats of all shapes and sizes especially sailing vessels that don't pollute the waters. Of course we talked about intrepid voyages amongst the South China Sea islands, the jaunts down to Sabah skirting through the Visayas and the southern Philippines before heading out into more open seas for 2 days without a land sighting, something I actually plan to do in the spring with some close friends. We touched on the silly game the Chinese are playing by snatching an unmanned vessel apparently in retaliation for the Trump Taiwan episode just 75 miles offshore from where we were seated. And we discussed how that might play out. A hearty breakfast washed down with Bloody Mary's and Beer. What could be better I thought.

Just as we were close to going our separate ways I asked where one chap was from; I thought he had a small hint of a Bristolian accent throughout our breakfast but it could as easily have been Norwich. You know that lilt, but not quite there, sort of accent. He produced a rather sea battered Bristol City cap from his little ruck sack. 'There is your answer he said'. Marvellous I thought. And before I could say another word he pointed to the chap sitting opposite and said 'And that tosspot supports Preston'. Apart from those two, and myself, none of the other 8 or 9 guys and gals amongst us understood the significance of that remark other than common football rivalry of course. What was more significant was the fact that these two very chaps were about to set off in a 36' sloop in the general direction of Sulawesi, Indonesia through what might be considered some of the most pristine coral reef abundant waters anywhere on the planet. Occasionally inhabited by opportune local pirates too. And just the two of them. What a rather nice coincidence.

One question I did ask, prompted by a fellow poster (please reveal yourself again), was whether Bristol South End had ever played Preston North End. Neither could answer but I have since found out that no such fixture ever took place, at least competitively. The first match between us was in 1901 when the name had already become Bristol City. It was a 0-0. And apart from Preston being 2 ahead in wins since then its all but honours even. There is a kinship between City and Preston if only because we both came up together. Simon Grayson is doing a sterling job on fairly limited reserves of cash. Good on him and good on the Preston fan the likes of which I met up at the Working Men's Club and a welcome was received that will live long in the memory.

Friendship or feeling of goodwill we need to thump somebody 4-0 again. It is long overdue. Lets get the job the done. I hope the 2 way radio or the satellite signal is good enough this evening for those two opposing sailor fans to listen in as they call into Mindoro in the Visayas. It could be fun and games on that boat.

UTC.

Good morning Havana.

Your interest in spending time with sailors is noted.

Your memory about throwing up on your early boat trip must serve you well, as we all suffer similar feelings in our stomachs just before 5pm on many a Saturday and around 10pm midweek.

• Like 1

Another literary masterpiece from the King of the Matchday Thread.

Nice story about the two fans in the sailing boat (this very morning) who just happened to each support today's opposing teams.

I don't believe everything you write Mr Havana, but it is always a great read. 

Meanwhile I hope you are right about us giving Preston a good thumping this afternoon. Yes we are due one, but on current form I can't see it happening just yet until we get a new striker. 

By far the most interesting person I (sort of) know (do internet forums count as knowing someone?).  Your life is an incredible adventure, and no doubt would make a good book or two, and a decent Sunday evening film.

Perhaps, in the non footie section you could pen the saga of your life - if you don't mind us nosey buggers prying over every detail!

Around the world and you bump into a City fan and a Preston fan.  Marvellous stuff.

I'll take your wish for a 4-0 win and predict the same score line.  Perhaps if enough of us predict the same score, the combined will of the City collective will force the score to manifest as reality.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

LJ is the King.

• Like 2

Given Bristol's strong nautical associations and history I enjoyed the somewhat comfortable reassurance as well as the global significance to your post today Havanatopia.

So, particularly at Christmastime, City fan's - wherever you personally started your Bristol City journey, wherever it has taken you so far and regardless of where you are today - let's reflect, rejoice and remember there's only one Bristol City!

Edited by Jerseybean
Spello
  • Like 3
18 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

Friendship or feeling of goodwill we need to thump somebody 4-0 again. It is long overdue. Lets get the job the done. I hope the 2 way radio or the satellite signal is good enough this evening for those two opposing sailor fans to listen in as they call into Mindoro in the Visayas. It could be fun and games on that boat.

UTC.

I'd love to charter an account , and sail across the wide account sea ...

:whistle2:

Holy mackerel H , a pre Crimbo matchday thread with a nautical bent .

Let's hope for a Yuletide City win .

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

Another literary masterpiece from the King of the Matchday Thread.

Nice story about the two fans in the sailing boat (this very morning) who just happened to each support today's opposing teams.

I don't believe everything you write Mr Havana, but it is always a great read. 

Meanwhile I hope you are right about us giving Preston a good thumping this afternoon. Yes we are due one, but on current form I can't see it happening just yet until we get a new striker. 

It is actually true. In the event I link up with them again I will try and get a photo.

Edited by havanatopia
24 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

UTC.

I'd love to charter an account , and sail across the wide account sea ...

:whistle2:

Holy mackerel H , a pre Crimbo matchday thread with a nautical bent .

Let's hope for a Yuletide City win .

and festive malfunction !

Edited by Major Isewater

Well done Havan old bean, though I'm a little bit disappointed you couldn't link Preston with Prestonpans in Scotland. As you've said you would do some tangential intros I was hoping for something about frying pans, saucepans etc. Perhaps for the next time we play them?

48 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

Friendship or feeling of goodwill we need to thump somebody 4-0 again. It is long overdue. Lets get the job done. I hope the 2 way radio or satellite signal is good enough this evening so those two opposing sailor fans can listen in as they call into Mindoro in the Visayas. It could be fun and games on that boat.

UTC.

Condensed Version

Preston:

Having Bloody Mary's & Beer for breakfast in the middle of the South China Sea with a fellow City fan and some nod from Preston. Said fluid breakfast is causing a strange kinship which will end up as fun and games later on.

City 2-0 (Tomlin double)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

By far the most interesting person I (sort of) know (do internet forums count as knowing someone?).  Your life is an incredible adventure, and no doubt would make a good book or two, and a decent Sunday evening film.

Perhaps, in the non footie section you could pen the saga of your life - if you don't mind us nosey buggers prying over every detail!

Around the world and you bump into a City fan and a Preston fan.  Marvellous stuff.

I'll take your wish for a 4-0 win and predict the same score line.  Perhaps if enough of us predict the same score, the combined will of the City collective will force the score to manifest as reality.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

LJ is the King.

Yes, in a world increasingly dominated by vacuous and inane social media 'banter', it's great to read such a splendid tale written so eloquently by a fellow fan.

As I take my seat at the Gate today, I might reflect on these two fellows' little adventure and remind myself that the planet doesn't actually revolve around BS3, even on a Saturday afternoon. Though hopefully come 5pm I'll feel it was the right decision to go to the game, rather than freezing my tits off in the middle of the ocean (which was never really an option for me anyway, to be honest).

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Well done Havan old bean, though I'm a little bit disappointed you couldn't link Preston with Prestonpans in Scotland. As you've said you would do some tangential intros I was hoping for something about frying pans, saucepans etc. Perhaps for the next time we play them?

Do me a fav and send me a PM on that score please and will do my best to remember . :)

45 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Condensed Version

Preston:

Having Bloody Mary's & Beer for breakfast in the middle of the South China Sea with a fellow City fan and some nod from Preston. Said fluid breakfast is causing a strange kinship which will end up as fun and games later on.

City 2-0 (Tomlin double)

Your condensed versions are getting less condensed these days Tone; touch of writer's muscle power setting in me thinks. 

16 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Yes, in a world increasingly dominated by vacuous and inane social media 'banter', it's great to read such a splendid tale written so eloquently by a fellow fan.

As I take my seat at the Gate today, I might reflect on these two fellows' little adventure and remind myself that the planet doesn't actually revolve around BS3, even on a Saturday afternoon. Though hopefully come 5pm I'll feel it was the right decision to go to the game, rather than freezing my tits off in the middle of the ocean (which was never really an option for me anyway, to be honest).

Tis hot down here Rocker.. even at 2109 at night. Aircon on, Chelsea being held on the box, guest coming round later ;), then City.. all is right and correct with the world although that will be stripped bare with a failure by City at 5. OOohhh free kick to Palarse....

Another flash in the pan from Puncheon.

Edited by havanatopia
10 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Your condensed versions are getting less condensed these days Tone; touch of writer's muscle power setting in me thinks. 

He's fighting hard to compete with the Bard's  (Havana) Shakespearean compositions.

• Like 1