IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Preston North End Match Day Thread

13 minutes ago, stogursey red said:

Looks very weak down the left, not sure about how creative the middle is ever, hope to be provided wrong

I know Tomlin is considered effective cutting in from the left, but I'm more than worried his defensive cover is Bryan, who I do not think can cut that position at this level.

12 minutes ago, Port Pete said:

Bryan at left back. Over an actual left back in Golbourne. 

At least Tomlin is in. 

Yeah; each time I see Bryan in at left back I get worried.

Not sure why Golborne isn't ahead of him there; might not be top class, but is steady and experienced at this level.

Hope he plays a blinder and proves me wrong, but not seen Bryan play a match at left back where he's impressed at this level yet.

Edited by samo II
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

If we are on top  Bryan can be a force attacking down the left

The concern is we're often on top, but are not well equipped enough at the back to hold the opposition at arms length.

If Golbourne is not trusted to hold down that position, I honestly hope we buy someone in the window to play there, as not convinced Bryan is the answer.

6 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

GON is a tired old git. All he does is delaying play. When he got the ball you know we are in for 10 seconds of absolutely zero happening.

Sorry Tommy but (IMO) that's nonsense

Against Blackburn and Forest his passing was good , often first time (and his tackling excellent)

At his best can manage the game for us

Knows the game inside out

• Like 2

Although he plays deep, I don't see Pack as an out-and-out holding midfielder. More of a quarterback.

Playing two deep-lying midfielders gives more licence to the other attacking midfielders - hopefully to get up in support of Tammy. I've got no problem with it.

People talk about two up front as if it's the golden ticket. At the end of the day there are 11 men on the pitch and if you play two up front you are less likely to control the midfield.

I would say it's the execution of the formation, rather than the formation itself, that is the key. Some of the most successful teams in world football have played one up front in recent years.

2-0 City. COYR.

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Although he plays deep, I don't see Pack as an out-and-out holding midfielder. More of a quarterback.

Playing two deep-lying midfielders gives more licence to the other attacking midfielders - hopefully to get up in support of Tammy. I've got no problem with it.

People talk about two up front as if it's the golden ticket. At the end of the day there are 11 men on the pitch and if you play two up front you are less likely to control the midfield.

I would say it's the execution of the formation, rather than the formation itself, that is the key. Some of the most successful teams in world football have played one up front in recent years.

2-0 City. COYR.

Trouble with Pack, if he does carry the ball out and looses it, he does not have the pace to recover - 1st goal conceded at Huddersfield being a classic example. I'd rather we just had him or GON sat screening the back four, not both of them as it stifles our creativity.

3 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Trouble with Pack, if he does carry the ball out and looses it, he does not have the pace to recover - 1st goal conceded at Huddersfield being a classic example. I'd rather we just had him or GON sat screening the back four, not both of them as it stifles our creativity.

Tend to agree. When exposed against Hudds Matthwes had to rely on Flint - not the holding midfielder

5 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Perhaps I had to high thoughts of him coming in from Norwich. I expected a leader who could dictate the game helping the youngsters out. It turned out he hardly made it.

I'm with you a bit though wouldn't have chosen the same words. There have been quite a few games where he's been phenomenal and I expect that today. I think he's been used a bit too much at times and that's where I think he hasn't been as good as I expected. 

• Like 1