IGNORED

The Official Wolverhampton Wanderers v Bristol City Match Day Thread

9 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone and a very happy Christmas. I do hope our Boxing Day will be full of Christmas cheer.

Unless we play Inverness Caledonian Thistle anytime soon this fixture is likely to hold the mantle as the longest match day thread title of all time; Apart from Cale Thistle, Wolves have the longest name in British football. And in Dec 2000 Wolverhampton became a city along with Brighton and Preston although it is a strange phenomenon how places within greater metropolitan areas do not, themselves, feel like cities. At least to me. 

How accommodating with the Wulfrunian's of Wolverhampton be to the bruised and battered City team today after the festive sojourn? Back to business and not a moment too soon. I sincerely hope we arrest the fall. But back to a little history. Lady Wulfruna, grand daughter of King Ethelred I, founded a 'town on the hill' as the name Wolverhampton derives in AD985. A rather modern settlement then by British historical standards.

Wolverhampton, like much of the Midlands and the Potteries powered our industrial revolution; no coincidence that the region became known as the Black Country due to the soot. You can see why with this typical scene engraved in 1869 by G Greatbach entitled The Black Country. "It’s hellish. The ground is on fire," It was shown at a 2013 exhibition about our industrial revolution at the Science exhibition of Manchester. The engraving sits next to an LP cover by Birmingham heavy metal band Judas Priest. "I see rock music as almost a requiem for those times," the artist, Jeremy Deller says. "It’s manly music, made very loud, almost like the industrial process itself. And yet it’s celebrating something that was dying, in Britain at least. There’s a great connection." How right he was and how resonating are those words.

Black Country 2.jpg

Salt of the earth Wulfonians en masse walking to Molineux this afternoon, like all football Saturday afternoons is a ritual the length and breadth of the land and synonymous with mass movements of that industrial age. How welcoming those souls will be after their turkey and cranberry remains to be seen but back in the day they looked a sorrowful lot those Black Country lot. Salt of the earth maybe but in those days boy was life hard. We don't know we are born.

Black Country 1.jpg

And on that note I shall just revert to the Christmas spirit of wishing everyone, wherever they may be, a deserving respite from what might be a tough life, a little light and festive cheer entering their souls. Christian or not it is a time for thinking of others less fortunate than ourselves. And to all those making the journey up the M5 and the M6 today well done you lot. Whether its a 100 fans making their way on a horrible wet Tuesday night to Halifax or 1500 to Wolves on a crisp Boxing Day, our away fans, particularly, need to be saluted for their loyal support. Sing your hearts out and let us hope the team give us a performance deserving of your efforts.

I shall be off the grid for 3 days now, out into the Boondocks of Bantayan Island where the locals only flirt with a mysterious thing called the 'Internet' of things. I shall not be holding my breath for a City win, not because I do not care but because anything remotely resembling that would render the next 3 days at the beach a miserable affair. And after working hard for a year I deserve a bit of piece and quiet. What utter nonsense that sounds now it is written. Now where is that short wave radio. UTC.

Thanks for your time and effort in the post. Not got a clue how tomorrow will fair . Fingers crossed and all that for three points. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 054123 said:

I would love a win today, really and truly guv.

I just don't feel confident with the current incarnation of city to deliver anything I'm afraid. 

The 'current incarnation of city' delivered a few things in the first three months of the season, didn't it?  Could it possibly be that we are going through a bad patch from which we will recover?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone and a very happy Christmas. I do hope our Boxing Day will be full of Christmas cheer.

Unless we play Inverness Caledonian Thistle anytime soon this fixture is likely to hold the mantle as the longest match day thread title of all time; Apart from Cale Thistle, Wolves have the longest name in British football. And in Dec 2000 Wolverhampton became a city along with Brighton and Preston although it is a strange phenomenon how places within greater metropolitan areas do not, themselves, feel like cities. At least to me. 

How accommodating with the Wulfrunian's of Wolverhampton be to the bruised and battered City team today after the festive sojourn? Back to business and not a moment too soon. I sincerely hope we arrest the fall.

And now for a little history. Lady Wulfruna, grand daughter of King Ethelred I, founded a 'town on the hill' as the name Wolverhampton derives in AD985. A rather modern settlement then by British historical standards.

Wolverhampton, like much of the Midlands and the Potteries powered our industrial revolution; no coincidence that the region became known as the Black Country due to the rather quantities of soot that discoloured the soil. You can see why with this typical scene engraved in 1869 by G Greatbach entitled The Black Country. "It’s hellish. The ground is on fire," It was shown at a 2013 exhibition about our industrial revolution at the Science exhibition of Manchester. The engraving sits next to an LP cover by Birmingham heavy metal band Judas Priest. "I see rock music as almost a requiem for those times," the artist, Jeremy Deller says. "It’s manly music, made very loud, almost like the industrial process itself. And yet it’s celebrating something that was dying, in Britain at least. There’s a great connection." How right he was and how resonating are those words.

Black Country 2.jpg

Salt of the earth Wulfonians en masse walking to Molineux this afternoon, like all football Saturday afternoons, is a ritual the length and breadth of the land and synonymous with mass movements of that industrial age. How welcoming those souls will be after their turkey and cranberry remains to be seen but back in the day they looked a sorrowful lot. Salt of the earth maybe but in them there days boy was life hard. We don't know we are born.

Black Country 1.jpg

And on that note I shall just revert to the Christmas spirit of wishing everyone, wherever they may be, a deserving respite from what might be a tough life, and hope a little light and festive cheer enters their souls. Christian or not it is a time for thinking of others less fortunate than ourselves. And to all those making the journey up the M5 and the M6 today well done you lot. Whether its a 100 fans making their way on a horrible wet Tuesday night to Halifax or 1500 to Wolves on a crisp* Boxing Day, our away fans, particularly, need to be saluted for their loyal support. Sing your hearts out and let us hope the team give us a performance deserving of your efforts.

I shall be off the grid for 3 days now, out into the Boondocks of Bantayan Island where the locals only flirt with a mysterious thing called the 'Internet' of things. I shall not be holding my breath for a City win, not because I do not care but because anything remotely resembling that would render the next 3 days at the beach a miserable affair. And after working hard for a year I deserve a bit of piece and quiet. What utter nonsense that sounds now it is written. Now where is that short wave radio. UTC.

* Crisp - according to the weather forecast temperatures will be half what they were on Christmas day but there will be a huge golden orb in the sky so the word; 'crisp' may indeed come to pass. Hope so fellow fans.

Condensed Version

Wolverhampton Wanderers:

Get pissed on Boxing Day and eat crisps at the game.

Off onto an island to have his Boondocks realigned by the locals whilst holding his breath.

1-0 City (Ekstrand in 98th min)

• Like 3

I went to Molineux on Boxing Day 1966 and we got a 1-1 draw. The return game twenty four hours later under the new 4 pylon floodlight towers ended 0-1. Danny Bartley made his debut.

Reading Havanatopia's excellent OP, and seeing the picture of the steel works reminds me of how much Britain and life gas changed in fifty years. We went by steam train via Birmingham and all the way from Brum to Wolverhampton there were dirty steel works alongside the whole distance. The railway track is now a dual carriageway without a steel mill anywhere.

All I can hope today is that our team can break what must be one of the longest runs without a win for any team at an away ground.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, havanatopia said:

How accommodating with the Wulfrunian's of Wolverhampton be to the bruised and battered City team today after the festive sojourn? Back to business and not a moment too soon. I sincerely hope we arrest the fall.

And now for a little history. Lady Wulfruna, grand daughter of King Ethelred I, founded a 'town on the hill' as the name Wolverhampton derives in AD985. A rather modern settlement then by British historical standards.

Wolverhampton, like much of the Midlands and the Potteries powered our industrial revolution; no coincidence that the region became known as the Black Country due to the rather quantities of soot that discoloured the soil. You can see why with this typical scene engraved in 1869 by G Greatbach entitled The Black Country. "It’s hellish. The ground is on fire," It was shown at a 2013 exhibition about our industrial revolution at the Science exhibition of Manchester. The engraving sits next to an LP cover by Birmingham heavy metal band Judas Priest. "I see rock music as almost a requiem for those times," the artist, Jeremy Deller says. "It’s manly music, made very loud, almost like the industrial process itself. And yet it’s celebrating something that was dying, in Britain at least. There’s a great connection." How right he was and how resonating are those words.

Black Country 2.jpg

Salt of the earth Wulfonians en masse walking to Molineux this afternoon, like all football Saturday afternoons, is a ritual the length and breadth of the land and synonymous with mass movements of that industrial age. How welcoming those souls will be after their turkey and cranberry remains to be seen but back in the day they looked a sorrowful lot. Salt of the earth maybe but in them there days boy was life hard. We don't know we are born.

Black Country 1.jpg

And on that note I shall just revert to the Christmas spirit of wishing everyone, wherever they may be, a deserving respite from what might be a tough life, and hope a little light and festive cheer enters their souls. Christian or not it is a time for thinking of others less fortunate than ourselves. And to all those making the journey up the M5 and the M6 today well done you lot. Whether its a 100 fans making their way on a horrible wet Tuesday night to Halifax or 1500 to Wolves on a crisp* Boxing Day, our away fans, particularly, need to be saluted for their loyal support. Sing your hearts out and let us hope the team give us a performance deserving of your efforts.

* Crisp - according to the weather forecast temperatures will be half what they were on Christmas day but there will be a huge golden orb in the sky so the word; 'crisp' may indeed come to pass. Hope so fellow fans.

Wolves always did have too many strikers .

Hard times indeed , these people are our history and we are their legacy . We owe so much to them .

Anyway , poor taste jokes and profound observations apart , back to the sport that keeps us distracted from our ' real ' problems ,can we settle for playing shite and winning today ?

Let's hope we don't get a kick in the Boondocks again and we get the red machine back on track .

COYR

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I went to Molineux on Boxing Day 1966 and we got a 1-1 draw. The return game twenty four hours later under the new 4 pylon floodlight towers ended 0-1. Danny Bartley made his debut.

Reading Havanatopia's excellent OP, and seeing the picture of the steel works reminds me of how much Britain and life gas changed in fifty years. We went by steam train via Birmingham and all the way from Brum to Wolverhampton there were dirty steel works alongside the whole distance. The railway track is now a dual carriageway without a steel mill anywhere.

All I can hope today is that our team can break what must be one of the longest runs without a win for any team at an away ground.

It`s got to be up there but I did hear on Sky the other day that QPR have never won at Forest despite playing there 34 times. No idea how many times we`ve played at Molineux since we last won in 1931 though.

12 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Unless we play Inverness Caledonian Thistle anytime soon this fixture is likely to hold the mantle as the longest match day thread title of all time; Apart from Cale Thistle, Wolves have the longest name in British football.

Havanatopia my dear chap, Festive Greetings to you. Splendid potted history/cultural profile/demographic lash-up etc.etc. Personally I hate it when I'm the OP and some pedantic ninny misses the main thrust of my post and goes off down the windmills of their mind being a clever dick but that's just what I'm going to do when someone else has exposed their flank and offer you 2 brotherly words at this Yuletide Festival of Football - Hamilton Academical.

SK

COYR

Edited by southvillekiddy
30 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Havanatopia my dear chap, Festive Greetings to you. Splendid potted history/cultural profile/demographic lash-up etc.etc. Personally I hate it when I'm the OP and some pedantic ninny misses the main thrust of my post and goes off down the windmills of their mind being a clever dick but that's just what I'm going to do when someone else has exposed their flank and offer you 2 brotherly words at this Yuletide Festival of Football - Hamilton Academical.

SK

COYR

Isn't it Inverness Caledonian Thistle? 26 letters to HA's 18?

• Like 1