Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DavidNoble

Did it cross the line?

All rather ironic really. 15 minutes before their penalty, the Wolves fans were singing "We only get shit refs"........He then gives them a penalty and doesn't see our effort cross the line, which from where I was stood, it did by some margin. So coincidence, or not ?? Knowing our luck, if we sing it, it would probably go horribly, horribly wrong.....:facepalm: 

6 minutes ago, foghornred said:

Simple in the premiership its a goal and in the football league it isn't. 

I agree bring in goal line technology in all of our professional leagues, the game is awash with money at the moment surely it's possible . 

9 minutes ago, cynic said:

I think thats the wrong incident, wasn't the "goal" scored just before that event?

No this was the EXACT moment it was cleared away from the line, from numerous "freeze frames" this was the closest to going over the line

Sadly - though it wouldn't matter now - it wasn't a goal

54 minutes ago, phantom said:

No this was the EXACT moment it was cleared away from the line, from numerous "freeze frames" this was the closest to going over the line

Sadly - though it wouldn't matter now - it wasn't a goal

It doesn't matter any longer, I'm certainly past caring, but that simply wasn't the closest to it being over the line, because that clearance was when it was already spinning back out! @cynic is 100% right, that is a freeze frame of a different later moment. The clips I've posted earlier in this thread show frames that precede that clearance, and are all with the ball further back, as I saw it from the Steve Bull stand, in line with the touchline.

The position at the hooked clearance is irrelevant. Before that, the ball was spinning across the face of goal, from my eye-line at the time using the post as guidance, it was inside the goal. The preceding defender who headed it falling backwards only managed to take pace off the ball behind the line, but enough that it was travelling very slightly diagonally forward, such that the hooked clearance was at a point where the ball was further forward.

At the game itself I didn't think for a minute there was a goal shout when the hooked clearance was made, it was the 2 seconds before that which everyone appealed for. 

^ That's before he heads it, which at that point also wasn't over. It's odd that from this new behind-the-goal angle no one is sharing any freeze frames when the ball was actually claimed to be over the line (i.e. after the header or before the clearance off the line) - these two examples were not.

The ball in the above picture has not yet been headed by Doherty, he's going backwards all the time (direction of his arm) and does not manage to head it out, only take pace off the ball, while falling back behind the line (seen from other angle), spinning the ball across goal, over the line, from my view. 

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes in line with the post I wouldn't be arguing with pictures like this, but the fact is neither of the two "behind the goal" freeze frames in this thread are taken from when the ball was actually over the line and appealed for, so I'm not sure what they're adding to this subject.

It's all irrelevant anyway, they don't award points days later to my knowledge, we'd already discovered this season that they don't award points for referees apologies either. That's football - if we don't get screwed on the swings, we get shafted on the roundabout instead ;)