IGNORED

The Business Plan

longyears

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

With all due respect, why are people trying to make comparisons between two different sports?

Rugby has never and will never generate the same income as football on a regular basis. It is watched and paid for by a considerably smaller audience (fan base) with a much smaller commercial appeal than that of football, even at championship level, so therefore, does not warrant or attract the same level of investment, be that at boardroom level or from outside sources such as sponsorship/advertising.

Anyone can site one off matches on public holidays where there are big attendances and claim massive support (see Gashead logic). The truth is that, rugby, even at premiership level, creates less income due to lower attendances and considerably fewer games, (11 home games for rugby, as opposed to 23 for football. So 11 games attended by 12k average  =132,000 paying customers per season at a fee lower than football, compared to 23 x 18k =396,000 paying customers, at a higher rate than rugby, (those are estimated averages for the season). So it looks like three times as many people attending second tier football than first class rugby. Probably, the only thing rugby produces higher than football, is income from drink sales on a match to match basis and that's only because football supporters are deemed low life that are not allowed to take their drinks into the auditorium. 

No comparison, and why are we light years away from the prem? We were equally, light years away from being champions of the third tier until we did it. Admittedly, the championship is a tougher nut to crack but, with sound investment, good management and a little luck we could and should be challenging at the top.

Income is different from profit.  To get the latter you need to be able to control your costs.  Football is problematic in this area.

43 minutes ago, longyears said:

Sometimes I despair of this forum ( cue why do you bother to post then ) as I can assure you I am a qualified accountant and I have had a season ticket since 1982 so believe that makes me a better fan than most of you !

All of the anti posts start with the words " if we reach the Prem " blah blah blah and all that is true - if we reach the Prem we will dwarf Bristol Rugby in every sense. Get real - we are miles away from the Prem and as at now closer to league one while Bristol Rugby are at least ( for the moment ) in the top flight.

Also who is the idiot who thinks Spurs got 85000 for a match...............?

Agghh ha ha ha, you are good for a bit of a chuckle me old boy.

I'm the President of Mars, and I've been following City since 1632, so that makes me better than you..... (You see, you can write anything on a forum, doesn't make it true!)

Your theorised SL business plan is complete and utter nonsense.

3 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Income is different from profit.  To get the latter you need to be able to control your costs.  Football is problematic in this area.

I quite agree but, I doubt anybody is making money out of rugby either, apart from a few players and agents. It's a case of generating a good income from stadium use and hopefully a little more with success. Add the bigger income of football (even with it's extra costs) and Bristol Sport should be more efficient as a collective than the two independent sports bobbing along the bottom independently. But if the football was successful, then the stadium is suddenly paid for and there is a bit to be made.

I don't see the Rugby as a rival to football in any way. Having the two sports at the stadium makes sense and keeps down the relative costs to both clubs. I did hear that SL also wants to locate the Flyers basketball closer to AG. Current Wickes site (?)  The costs of Rugby are kept in check in any event by a wage cap, so the possibility of a massive cash splurge on Bristol Rugby (at the expense of BCFC) is virtually nil. 

19 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Good point.  But that was more old-fashioned dodginess as opposed to the Portsmouth/Bolton nonsense of behaving bigtime on credit despite being tinpot.

Bristol were an amateur club longer than a lot of others. 

They were haemorrhaging money, with huge wages being paid to players and coaches in an attempt to be successful in the new professional game, in a ground with attendances not sufficient to sustain that level of pay, which lead to them going bust. That's apart from the dodgyness which cost them their ground.

1 hour ago, longyears said:

Sometimes I despair of this forum ( cue why do you bother to post then ) as I can assure you I am a qualified accountant and I have had a season ticket since 1982 so believe that makes me a better fan than most of you !

All of the anti posts start with the words " if we reach the Prem " blah blah blah and all that is true - if we reach the Prem we will dwarf Bristol Rugby in every sense. Get real - we are miles away from the Prem and as at now closer to league one while Bristol Rugby are at least ( for the moment ) in the top flight.

Also who is the idiot who thinks Spurs got 85000 for a match...............?

Hi, I'm the idiot.  Do your research next time before insulting a fellow supporter. You've made yourself look like an absolute pillock.

Also being a season ticket holder since 1982 doesn't make you a better fan than me. It makes you older than me.

I'd hope for an apology but I suspect that's beyond you.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/tottenham-vs-monaco-wembley-sells-out-as-more-than-85000-fans-buy-tickets-for-champions-league-clash-a7307286.html

Did Spurs not get 85,000+ for a match then?

Someone should probably let their accountant know.

It's ok though, because a superfan (better than most of us on here!) says so.

Thanks for this James.

53 minutes ago, longyears said:

OK gang -let us review this thread this time next year and see who insults who then !

I would hazard a guess longyears that in a years time both clubs will pretty much be operating and allocated resources by Bristol Sport as they are today.  Assume even that Bristol Rugby stay in the Premiership and are more competitive - see the post from Calculus for the point of view of most grounded fans from either sport and what most probably believe is SL's thinking and motivation.

I am 100% in the camp that success of one sport would not be to the detriment of the other, both would be run as separate cost (or profit) centres to quote your professions' lingo with SL there to mop up respective shortfalls with resources (subject to FFP etc) sufficiently ample so as not to have to prioritise.  As others and Steve himself has said all along, he is not in this for the money - there's none to be made for him personally anyway though no doubt he would welcome one or both clubs not requiring multi-million subsidies each year.  No need for told you so's or insults just because others don't agree with you.

On 28/12/2016 at 19:06, longyears said:

Sorry in advance about the length of this but it needs to be said and as an accountant I will spell it out as I see it. Not to say I am right but it certainly bears thinking about.

Everyone just about thinks of SL and Bristol City but he is actually Bristol Sport. Think about it for a bit - Bristol Rugby are in the top tier unlike Bristol City and if ( big if I know ) they stay there then ( say ) five million would buy them nine or ten world class players. A much more guaranteed investment than the same amount spent on football players. They ( Bristol Rugby ) may then get into the top European competition which our football team is light years away from. If they did they would sell out every home game at Ashton Gate at much less cost because whether we like it or not rugby spectators require much less policing than football followers and also drink more !

It may just be ( speaking as an accountant ) that SL has his sights set on Bristol Rugby as the top attraction at AG at much less outlay and that BCFC is the also ran who can provide fairly decent attendances in either the Championship or Division One just to keep things ticking over. If it was my millions I know which road I would go down. Whatever the haters of the " eggchasers" may say there were over 70000 at Twickers for a club rugby match on Boxing Day  - how many club games at any level in football could match that.

SL is not one of our richest men because he does not know finance and I think Bristol City may not be top of his " return on investment " list at the minute and if I had his money I think I may feel the same.

Feel free to disagree but think it through before you post !

These are good points Longyears, but I feel that the cash at Steve's disposal is sufficient for him to want to have both teams fulfill their potential.  Promotion to the Premier League on the current deal, would make a stunning difference to the finances of Bristol Sport, even if relegation followed.  It may well be the case that an overall investment of £50million across the group, could generate many times that figure in annual income for years thereafter.  The potential sale value of the group could then provide a very acceptable return on all the cash he has invested..... if he ever wanted to sell!  I think he is enjoying his time in Bristol Sport and has a wonderful son, who can take over when he runs out of steam.  

6 minutes ago, Port Pete said:

Was under the impression tonight's game would see the new stadiums record capacity for this eagerly awaited derby according to some of the viewpoints above.   Under 14k though on a Friday eve. (decent turnout I must say). 

What on earth made you think a 2nd tier cup competition would get a sell out crowd?

The league game in Feb will be a good indication of the potential, and if it's not over 20k then alarm bells will be ringing.

On 29/12/2016 at 09:58, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Having passed my driving test- I feel I'm in pole position to comment on why Lewis Hamilton didn't win the World Championship , what his priorities are and where he is likely to spend his income.

#Bean counter

but did you pass it first time? I am assuming that as he mentioned accountant more than once he took a few attempts?

Archived