IGNORED

The Official Ipswich Town v Bristol City Match Day Thread

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone.

Safely back from the boondocks of Bantayan. I can recommend it.

So, a double header versus Ipswich Town inside a month as City begin the second half of the 46 game football season. There can be no denying how disappointing the past 7 weeks or so have been for all of us. The Tractor boys' reverse fixture and visit to Ashton Gate being the only high point in that time. How can a season that started so brightly have collapsed in such spectacular fashion? One cannot wrap these past few weeks up in any tinsel and try and gloss over the horrible sequence of results. The proverbial buck stops squarely at the door of the manager. That he is under immense pressure, whether we hear or not from Mark Ashton, the board or the owner, is without any doubt. Bristol City Football Club, like every other and regardless of what we hear, are in the results business. My strong and personal view is that the catalyst for this current decline is the reliance on Tammy Abraham because of the foolhardy sale of Kodjia. I say foolhardy only as an 'on the face of it' reason. We all know, as Steve Lansdown would be the first to tell us, that once a player has desires to leave there is little one can do. Moreover, there is little one should do given the size of the profit margin. That the transfer came so late in the summer window means the club were damned whether they sold or not. And with no loans possible we are where we are.

Everybody has an opinion and is entitled to one. People can demand his head on a block or can advocate holding one's nerve. What I abhor is a match day thread being used as an insult trading platform. I for one, and I am sure I speak for so many other valuable contributors to this site, find it irritating, annoying and, yes at times, humorous to read some of the tit for tat mud slinging. Personal insults though should have no place on this thread or even this forum; what the vast majority want to see is opinions yes but respect for the opinion of everyone else too. That means we all have a duty not to get personal or trade an insult even if an opinion might so be so abhorrent. Hopefully in times of severe struggle we can take a step back and have a moan at the club not amongst ourselves. The club owe us answers and hopefully they will deliver them on the pitch starting tonight. No better time to obtain our first six pointer at the first time of asking.

Ipswich Town are not exactly doing well themselves albeit better than us but then that is hardly saying much is it? Only Wigan and QPR are below us in the last 6 matches. 3 points from 18. Over 10 matches that looks even worse; 7 points from a possible 30 and yet we are 5th from bottom with Norwich perhaps the main stand out club in free fall. Shocking by any standard. An opportunity, therefore, to finally bounce back? Well, we said the same for Brentford, then Preston then Wolves. 

The Tractor Boys who, incidentally, only acquired the nickname during their first appearance in the Premier League because of the agricultural links to the area. Yet Ipswich ceased the quantity manufacture of tractors in 1966 when Ransome's ceased building them; Lincoln and Grantham being about the closest of large scale historical importance . The nick name apparently started when they played Birmingham City, the opposition fans sang “no noise from the Tractor Boys” during a routine win, and soon their own supporters began using the name to refer to themselves as they jovially highlighted the club’s lack of glamour compared to their more illustrious opponents. I have to say though that this is rather self deprecating since Ipswich have had a fairly decent dose of success down the years along with some rather well known managers and players. Many will remember and celebrate their pinnacle, undoubtedly the UEFA Cup win of 1981 under the guidance of Sir Bobby Robson. That team managed two runners up places in the top flight in the same era. A remarkable achievement by any stretch. I always remember them getting so close to Liverpool in the 81 and 82 title years and hoping they would achieve the success. Its a long time since Suffolk has experienced those highs and many would say that Mick McCarthy will get nowhere near it and they are probably right. 

3-5-2 anybody? Did we not use that formation on our last winning outing? Since it came against tonight's opponents perhaps they will already know how City play and be ready. The argument might go that City should not worry about the opposition, worry about what we do and go out on the park at Portman Road and impose our game. Why no Patterson, O'Dowda or Engval ? A rather large amount of money sitting on the bench or in the stands each week puzzles many. Everyone is an expert and we are all novices. That is probably the oxymoron sum total of it. We will be here tomorrow, next year and likely for decades to come if we are not pushing up daisies. Lee will be gone sooner or later a failure or a success. We will all have a view on that and we will all be noisily passionate or quietly dispassionate about the nonsense of it all. For goodness sake City.. whatever you do tonight don't lose AGAIN.

Well done to all making the long and tiring journey to Ipswich. Get in and get out as fast as you can is my advise and that is no reflection on the local folks who I am sure are lovely charming people with a big welcome in their hearts. UTC, Good night all.

The Boondocks of Bayatan sound like a tribe from  a Star Wars film .

Anyway, kicked in the boondocks were we ,as the ghost of John Richards , Steve Bull and David ' Bloody ' Kelly all came back to smirk at our plight .

I hope there is devilment in the bellys of our troopers and we fight back at Nathalie Portman road .

As GJ said to Lee

" I am your Father "   but we must never pass to the dark side ,unless we're playing in black .

.May the force be with us

For all of you who are going tonight you are all stars .

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Higher percentage of personal opinion v facts than usual if I'm not mistaken havana, even a little near preaching about forum etiquette.

Nevertheless as a match scene setter and appetiser, I like it.

As I like Brett Pitman, not so much tonight though......

Tis supposed to be from the heart me babbers. Thanks all the same.

10 minutes ago, shelts said:

I would do a worse job than LJ 

Archetypal arm chair fan.. Criticising with no meaninful solutions or preparedness to stand in the line of fire... Like all of us then!!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone.

Safely back from the boondocks of Bantayan. I can recommend it.

So, a double header versus Ipswich Town inside a month as City begin the second half of the 46 game football season. There can be no denying how disappointing the past 7 weeks or so have been for all of us. The Tractor boys' reverse fixture and visit to Ashton Gate being the only high point in that time. How can a season that started so brightly have collapsed in such spectacular fashion? One cannot wrap these past few weeks up in any tinsel and try and gloss over the horrible sequence of results. The proverbial buck stops squarely at the door of the manager. That he is under immense pressure, whether we hear or not from Mark Ashton, the board or the owner, is without any doubt. Bristol City Football Club, like every other and regardless of what we hear, are in the results business. My strong and personal view is that the catalyst for this current decline is the reliance on Tammy Abraham because of the foolhardy sale of Kodjia. I say foolhardy only as an 'on the face of it' reason. We all know, as Steve Lansdown would be the first to tell us, that once a player has desires to leave there is little one can do. Moreover, there is little one should do given the size of the profit margin. That the transfer came so late in the summer window means the club were damned whether they sold or not. And with no loans possible we are where we are.

Everybody has an opinion and is entitled to one. People can demand his head on a block or can advocate holding one's nerve. What I abhor is a match day thread being used as an insult trading platform. I for one, and I am sure I speak for so many other valuable contributors to this site, find it irritating, annoying and, yes at times, humorous to read some of the tit for tat mud slinging. Personal insults though should have no place on this thread or even this forum; what the vast majority want to see is opinions yes but respect for the opinion of everyone else too. That means we all have a duty not to get personal or trade an insult even if an opinion might so be so abhorrent. Hopefully in times of severe struggle we can take a step back and have a moan at the club not amongst ourselves. The club owe us answers and hopefully they will deliver them on the pitch starting tonight. No better time to obtain our first six pointer at the first time of asking.

Ipswich Town are not exactly doing well themselves albeit better than us but then that is hardly saying much is it? Only Wigan and QPR are below us in the last 6 matches. 3 points from 18. Over 10 matches that looks even worse; 7 points from a possible 30 and yet we are 5th from bottom with Norwich perhaps the main stand out club in free fall. Shocking by any standard. An opportunity, therefore, to finally bounce back? Well, we said the same for Brentford, then Preston then Wolves. 

The Tractor Boys who, incidentally, only acquired the nickname during their first appearance in the Premier League because of the agricultural links to the area. Yet Ipswich ceased the quantity manufacture of tractors in 1966 when Ransome's ceased building them; Lincoln and Grantham being about the closest of large scale historical importance . The nick name apparently started when they played Birmingham City, the opposition fans sang “no noise from the Tractor Boys” during a routine win, and soon their own supporters began using the name to refer to themselves as they jovially highlighted the club’s lack of glamour compared to their more illustrious opponents. I have to say though that this is rather self deprecating since Ipswich have had a fairly decent dose of success down the years along with some rather well known managers and players. Many will remember and celebrate their pinnacle, undoubtedly the UEFA Cup win of 1981 under the guidance of Sir Bobby Robson. That team managed two runners up places in the top flight in the same era. A remarkable achievement by any stretch. I always remember them getting so close to Liverpool in the 81 and 82 title years and hoping they would achieve the success. Its a long time since Suffolk has experienced those highs and many would say that Mick McCarthy will get nowhere near it and they are probably right. 

3-5-2 anybody? Did we not use that formation on our last winning outing? Since it came against tonight's opponents perhaps they will already know how City play and be ready. The argument might go that City should not worry about the opposition, worry about what we do and go out on the park at Portman Road and impose our game. Why no Patterson, O'Dowda or Engval ? A rather large amount of money sitting on the bench or in the stands each week puzzles many. Everyone is an expert and we are all novices. That is probably the oxymoron sum total of it. We will be here tomorrow, next year and likely for decades to come if we are not pushing up daisies. Lee will be gone sooner or later a failure or a success. We will all have a view on that and we will all be noisily passionate or quietly dispassionate about the nonsense of it all. For goodness sake City.. whatever you do tonight don't lose AGAIN.

Well done to all making the long and tiring journey to Ipswich. Get in and get out as fast as you can is my advise and that is no reflection on the local folks who I am sure are lovely charming people with a big welcome in their hearts. UTC, Good night all.

Condensed Version

Ipswich:

Can recommend the effect some bird called Bantayan has had on his boondocks.

Foolhardy or not we should win this 3-5-2 "on the face of it" and we should stop slinging mud at each other on here

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 4
3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Condensed Version

Ipswich:

Can recommend the effect some bird called Bantayan has had on his boondocks.

Foolhardy or not we should win this 3-5-2 "on the face of it" and we stop slinging mud at each other on here

Marvellous. Now open a bottle of Sautern, eat your mince pies and ferme la bouch. ....

...Of course I did not mean the last bit Tone. Just said it for effect. You jolly well say whatever you like. :)

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

:clap:

Well said, H.

Apart from the odd (very odd) lurking Gas, we are all fans, and all want the best for City.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

1-0 loss, Pitman to score the winner

Well at least it will only be by the odd goal AGAIN!  Wouldn't it be good if we won tonight by that margin, although, I would be biting my nails to the last whistle, knowing how we are likely to concede a last second goal.  Oh well,  COYR's

5 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Afternoon all. I'm going for a 2-2 draw. Pitman will score at some stage. I also think Tammy won't be alone up top tonight. I feel the long awaited Gustav will play with Tommo tucked behind these two in a 4-3-1-2 line up. Will also expect Tomlin to drop back when necessary to create a more traditional 4-4-2.

Sounds interesting Peg. Then Engval to make way for Wilbs in the 60th minute perhaps. 

26 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Afternoon all. I'm going for a 2-2 draw. Pitman will score at some stage. I also think Tammy won't be alone up top tonight. I feel the long awaited Gustav will play with Tommo tucked behind these two in a 4-3-1-2 line up. Will also expect Tomlin to drop back when necessary to create a more traditional 4-4-2.

Ipswich can't score so yeah, against our defence, they'll easily get at least 2.

We desperately need a win but think a draw is the best we can expect, would love to Pork'em 5-0 mind :blink: !

we will win 3-2 it will be the catalyst to a winning streak that will last the rest of the season and see us in the Premiership. Other teams will query what happened, suspicions that Russian officials had been seen around the training ground run wild... but it matters not, for next season we are in the promised land, the land of milk of honey, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, utopia, the greener grass, the jam promised yesterday.......................

• Like 10
37 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Hoping to see a return to 2 up front, like when we beat them at home, IF LJ abandons his favoured 1 up top formation then I'll hope for 1-2 in our favour, if not then 2-1 to them.

That said this is more of a 'must not lose' than a 'must win' for us and them I'd say.

Agree it's more of a must not lose tonight, but with fixture against Reading on Monday need a confidence boost which I feel we're on need of