IGNORED

The Official Ipswich Town v Bristol City Match Day Thread

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I'm not sure if he left Burton when we were going well under SC or later but certainly SL was always going to appoint LJ as soon as he had the chance, whatever the competition.

That's my point mate,he's lansdowns pet and was always going to the job,makes it almost impossible for him to get the sack which is quite frankly shocking. A defeat at home to Cardiff may push lansdowns hand tho

Fair result, we survived several close shaves 2nd half but bar a 10 min spell around the equaliser offered too little, all too laboured at times too many misplaced passes, too conservative against a basic opposition, losing Magnasson left us short at the back late on which Ipswich exploited, half time  switch to wing backs showed promise and Brownhill played well I thought, most put a shift in to be fair but the quality just wasn't there I'm afraid.

Fielding - some good saves especially near post

Little - as usual tried his best but just not champ standard

Goldbourne - sloppy 1st half looked rusty 

Magnasson - committed solid, looked like a 'out for a few weeks' injury

Flint - good did what he had to 

Brownhill - thought he showed some good touches, good energy lost way as game went on

Pack - too laboured at times kept going sideways.

Freeman - worked hard but no killer pass, too insipid 

Tomlin - wasted out wide, one brilliant run looked better in centre but in truth generally ineffective.

Wilbraham - worked hard but he shouldn't be playing, no real threat 

Abraham - looked sharp but lacked that final bit of quality at time

Subs - Bryan one great run but way too conservative after that, Moore capable, odowda again too conservative.

Good turnout of City for a long trip 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, xerox6060 said:

Fair result, we survived several close shaves 2nd half but bar a 10 min spell around the equaliser offered too little, all too laboured at times too many misplaced passes, too conservative against a basic opposition, losing Magnasson left us short at the back late on which Ipswich exploited, half time  switch to wing backs showed promise and Brownhill played well I thought, most put a shift in to be fair but the quality just wasn't there I'm afraid.

Brownhill - thought he showed some good touches, good energy lost way as game went on

Tomlin - wasted out wide, one brilliant run looked better in centre but in truth generally ineffective.

Subs - Bryan one great run but way too conservative after that, Moore capable, odowda again too conservative.

Thanks for the match report. Always good to hear from someone who was at the game.

What a depressing night. The result, sadly, was all too predictable. I was keeping up to date with the score online and it mirrored the Wolves game - despair at going a goal down, elation at getting back into the game, nervousness with the realisation that we are unable to see games out and then that sick feeling as the opposition get the inevitable winner. 

On a run like we are run it's hard to see where the next win is coming from, so I'm not really looking forward to Monday's game. One of those times to dig in and hope for the best.

32 minutes ago, xerox6060 said:

Agree with pretty much everything you've said here. What I would add is that on at least 2 or 3 occasions in the first half, if Fielding had got rid of the ball quickly, we had 2 or 3 players perfectly set up for a quick counter attack. Every time he kept hold of the ball, let Ipswich regroup, and that was that. Whether that was an instruction  from LJ I don't know, but it was frustrating the hell out of me.

Also numerous occasions where Tomlin and Goldbourne were both on the attack, Scott goes for the overlap and Lee ignored him. Once or twice fair enough, but it was like he wasn't interested in playing the overlap at all. 

Very frustrating night where both teams were very poor. Our best period in the game was after the half time subs when we scored. 

8 hours ago, Taz said:

What I would add is that on at least 2 or 3 occasions in the first half, if Fielding had got rid of the ball quickly, we had 2 or 3 players perfectly set up for a quick counter attack.

It's not just Fielding. This is City's DNA now. The team resolutely will not exploit the quick opening or the instinctive run. Every player appears to have been drilled to stop, think, allow formations on both sides of the ball to re-group, then start the slow pass build up to the hope of space or opening of the like we might have had from the first time ball or run we rejected.

It's depressing and it's bizarre and I refuse to believe this is our players MO as it is so obviously laboured and not instinctive for them. Judging by O'Dowda, a £1.5million player, tactical instructions in this area are either too complicated, unclear or regressive, resulting in feeble, hesitant, confused positioning and application, and deteriorating form and ability out "wide".

Time was even an average player like Burns could come off the bench for us late in a game and run direct on the wing and cause some problems. O'Dowda last night was a great example of how we have invested in and yet neutralised technically strong wingers (based on his ability when signed) to the point of them looking like lightweight, poorly coached wastes of money.

The LJ directive: Slow it down. Do not be instinctive.... FFS let these players play.

• Like 6
55 minutes ago, Olé said:

It's not just Fielding. This is City's DNA now. The team resolutely will not exploit the quick opening or the instinctive run. Every player appears to have been drilled to stop, think, allow formations on both sides of the ball to re-group, then start the slow pass build up to the hope of space or opening of the like we might have had from the first time ball or run we rejected.

It's depressing and it's bizarre and I refuse to believe this is our players MO as it is so obviously laboured and not instinctive for them. Judging by O'Dowda, a £1.5million player, tactical instructions in this area are either too complicated, unclear or regressive, resulting in feeble, hesitant, confused positioning and application, and deteriorating form and ability out "wide".

Time was even an average player like Burns could come off the bench for us late in a game and run direct on the wing and cause some problems. O'Dowda last night was a great example of how we have invested in and yet neutralised technically strong wingers (based on his ability when signed) to the point of them looking like lightweight, poorly coached wastes of money.

The LJ directive: Slow it down. Do not be instinctive.... FFS let these players play.

Couldn't have said it better :clap:

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Nail hit firmly on head. Unfortunately.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Olé said:

Been like that since Cotterill last season, players messing about with the ball instead of just being direct, thats what every other side in this league does.

I think the only times I have seen us not be like that was Fulham away this season, Fulham away 2nd half last season, Sheff W and Bolton home games last season. All times we looked superb! 

13 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

only 1 thing can change this.send lil lee on hols for a month and give pembo the reigns

As I have posted before on this forum, my opinion was that Pembo should have taken over at least until the end of last season. Wade Elliott and Pembs were practically running everything when LJ came in and would have given lot's of advice to him, that helped him in avoiding relegation.  Can it be we now have an SC situation and Lee is not taking much or any notice of the experienced coach, who knows, but something is wrong with the Captain of the ship, even my wife, who knows little about football can see it.  Something has to change and soon, otherwise all confidence will be gone, if not already.  This transfer window, I believe will be LJ's last chance because I am sure SL does not want L1 football next season.

• Like 2

Would have replied to this last night but the website was down ?

First and foremost, no offence to anybody but you're a team with a lot of problems right now.   Stating the obvious maybe, but any team we can beat this season has some issues to sort out.

We played better than recent weeks but there were still plenty of deficiencies that not all our support were willing to acknowledge.   Three minutes away from a tirade of more McCarthy out rhetoric from our selection of fans, but it's amazing what one goal can do to change opinion.

A goal incidentally worthy of winning any game and Pitman has struggled at times since he came on board, sorry it had to be one of your former players to inflict the damage but we'll take anything we can get right now.    I hope you can sort your decline in order and remain in the championship league for another season.  Nothing disingenuous, we've had some good games and a lot of level headed people on here and room for articulate discussion.

New Year wishes to all on OTIB and let's hope both teams can pick up in the months ahead and reach some level of league respectability.  

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Southend Blue said:

First and foremost, no offence to anybody but you're a team with a lot of problems right now.   Stating the obvious maybe, but any team we can beat this season has some issues to sort out.

Agreed.

Ipswich at Ashton Gate were one of the most inoffensive football teams I have ever seen and that McGoldrick quality at this level but talk about a player going through the motions to earn his money.

53 minutes ago, Southend Blue said:

Would have replied to this last night but the website was down ?

We played better than recent weeks but there were still plenty of deficiencies that not all our support were willing to acknowledge.   Three minutes away from a tirade of more McCarthy out rhetoric from our selection of fans, but it's amazing what one goal can do to change opinion.

A goal incidentally worthy of winning any game and Pitman has struggled at times since he came on board, sorry it had to be one of your former players to inflict the damage but we'll take anything we can get right now.    I hope you can sort your decline in order and remain in the championship league for another season.  Nothing disingenuous, we've had some good games and a lot of level headed people on here and room for articulate discussion.

New Year wishes to all on OTIB and let's hope both teams can pick up in the months ahead and reach some level of league respectability.  

Top guy, Happy New Year and some good points.