IGNORED

Marlon Pack

DavidNoble

40 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Maybe not, but if you are going to try and hold on to a lead (as we clearly did), how much more useful on the bench would he be than having 2 wingers, 2 strikers and Bobby Reid? 

Apart from a kid who had never featured before all our outfield subs were attacking players.

This just sums up the complete lack of planning by him, what would have happened if Flint had gone over on his ankle after 5 minutes?

His subs, in fact even more than his bizarre starting XI (Matthews at CB, FFS) were a complete shambles.

Lloyd Kelly 

5 minutes ago, samo II said:

Simple question;

If Pack and Moore were available, why was an untried left back and a striker who LJ seems utterly disinterested in playing under any circumstance in the bench instead?

Weirder than Matthews starting at centre back for me, and has more worry undertones tbh.

I've backed Johnson, but you raise some very good points.. He is beginning to puzzle me week by week

45 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Press?? Did you watch the game? 9 defenders behind the ball inviting pressure is not pressing. 

We invited pressure for the final 20 mins but we played a smart pressing game for the first 70 we pinched the ball off of them numerous times, which in turn created most of our chances. 

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

What job did Matthews do?

Win the competition for showing the least willingness of a member of the back four to put a challenge in, probably in case it messed up his hair?

Lose his man twice in the first half which could have easily resulted in goals?

Watch the goals again, he makes a totally token challenge in a couple of them.

Fact is that he simply does not care, contrast that with the effort put in by the OTIB scapegoat Mark Little, who gave everything he had and limited as he obviously is, did not deserve to be on the losing side.

I was grateful we had Matthews there as he's used to wingers and he was one on one with McCleary a few times. A position I'd worry about if it was Flint or Magnusson. I never expected him to challenge for aerial balls. He kept his position and I didn't see him put a foot wrong. Exposed a bit on a header that hit the bar end of first half but that was the risk playing a fullback at CB. Didn't see him as someone who didn't care. Seen him as someone playing out of position so didn't take any risks. 

25 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I saw a lot of things I liked today and a few I didn't. First off, the game plan was working. We didn't press until they were in our half(and until about 70th min). They had no answers and maybe one true chance up until they scored. 

Brownhill and Bryan I really like in midfield. Both strong enough and athletic enough. O'Dowda and Freeman had good games but I want to highlight O'Dowda. Good athlete and draws fouls. One of my wingers from now on. 

We really tired out which was part of the reason they got back in it. I have to say LJ really messed it up at the end putting players out of position and changing the formation. Individually I though most had a good game. Flint and Little were solid. Golbourne I think was good if not spectacular and Matthews did a job. 

I was most disappointed with our captain and holding midfielder Korey Smith. Didn't really notice him other than a few fouls and misplaced passes. Also Frank Fielding I think should've saved at least one of the goals. None in the corners and none hit particularly hard. Not good enough in the build up but keepers are asked to make saves when the defence breaks down. He needed to be better. Wilbraham added nothing when he came on. Not his fault he came on and I don't know why LJ expected of him but we weren't going to have much of the ball for him to hold up. Reid looked like he wasn't synced up with when to press and not to. Again not his fault the coach put him out of position but made no impact. 

Pretty much exactly how I saw it. 

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I've backed Johnson, but you raise some very good points.. He is beginning to puzzle me week by week

Ditto.

I've no idea what is going on.

Maybe a handful of signings will sort us, but it feels we do not have a winning mentality.  

And a coach can be as smart, organised and technically savvy as they like, but if you cannot instil a winning mentality into a team, then you're done.

I'm worried that as good as the long term project is, LJ cannot put out a team who believes that they can win matches, regardless of their ability.

Ultimately; great managers/coaches can take limited players and improve them, primarily by making them believe they can win, regardless who they are facing.  It's not a skill you can easily explain or find, but it it vital.

Am concerned that LJ doesn't have this.

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I was grateful we had Matthews there as he's used to wingers and he was one on one with McCleary a few times. A position I'd worry about if it was Flint or Magnusson. I never expected him to challenge for aerial balls. He kept his position and I didn't see him put a foot wrong. Exposed a bit on a header that hit the bar end of first half but that was the risk playing a fullback at CB. Didn't see him as someone who didn't care. Seen him as someone playing out of position so didn't take any risks. 

Fair enough, you are a good poster and of course you are completely entitled to your point of view.

I think he is technically a very good footballer but is totally gutless and if we are to get out of this mess we need players who will scrap for everything, which he won't.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Fair enough, you are a good poster and of course you are completely entitled to your point of view.

I think he is technically a very good footballer but is totally gutless and if we are to get out of this mess we need players who will scrap for everything, which he won't.

Which is fair enough in itself. He doesn't seem to be a carer but I just don't want to mistake it for not caring. I don't think his future after this season is with us though. Just thought he did ok today. Though I would've started with Moore. 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Two respected posters, although I'm more with Joe on this one....but I haven't seen the goals back.  I thought he was the organiser back there, calling the line etc.  Happy to be corrected when I see goals back.

Is it any clearer why Marlon wasn't even on the bench today? In the post match interview, Lee J said how he didn't have many options available to stem the growing Reading tide. Personally think that Pack and probably O'Donnell have been a bit unfairly treated this season under LJ.

10 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Is it any clearer why Marlon wasn't even on the bench today? In the post match interview, Lee J said how he didn't have many options available to stem the growing Reading tide. Personally think that Pack and probably O'Donnell have been a bit unfairly treated this season under LJ.

I'm really hoping pack was injured? Not sure if correct as didn't see it myself but my old man was convinced pack was out in the warm up? Maybe got injured in warm up hence young lad getting called up to bench.

3 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I'm really hoping pack was injured? Not sure if correct as didn't see it myself but my old man was convinced pack was out in the warm up? Maybe got injured in warm up hence young lad getting called up to bench.

Kelly was chosen over Moore on the bench due to his height apparently, was watching Pack and he took part in the shooting warm up.

4 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Let's hope that's why then. Always beeen a big Pack fan. Along with a lot of other Championship managers I reckon 

5 minutes ago, smokey live said:

I heard that, really puzzled me. Said he needed experience for a game like today, but then said Kelly was on the bench because he was taller

I've been called a Happy Clapper  and I do really want Lee to get out of this ..   I'm just worried that there are more and more odd decisions being made  Taylor Moore out on loan?   This is a really, really weird time at the Gate

5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I've been called a Happy Clapper  and I do really want Lee to get out of this ..   I'm just worried that there are more and more odd decisions being made  Taylor Moore out on loan?   This is a really, really weird time at the Gate

Reminds me of the tail end of his Dad's spell, all sorts of fun and games, I wonder if sustained championship management is beyond LJ at present, he needs help  and Daddy ain't the person to give it

I think the main problem we have is that we do not have a settled side from one game to the next. This lack of consistency in selection and formation is killing us. We stayed up last year because LJ was not spoilt for choice and we generally played the same 11. Now he cannot decide who to play where as there is a much of a muchness about most of the players. These new players we seem to be going after appear to have good pedigree but that does depend on how LJ utilises them. On that question, I am sure people would be concerned given that LJ does not seem to know his players best positions.....

The excellent interviews he's given up to recently, now look bizarre against today.

I don't know why I feel so strongly about the Taylor Moore loan deal, but it just seems to fly in the face of everything the club have been telling us about the young players brought in.  I think other youngsters will think twice when you look at Moore, Engvall, O'Dowda.

I understand the Johnny Smith / Diego type loan, but Taylor Moore has played a good few times now, and at Centre Back has looked up for it.

Maybe I'm being incredibly fickle, but I've been really behind Lee (despite being huge Cotts fan), but today's events, and I'm not really talking about the defeat, seem like I've been conned.  All of a sudden we seem to be after the types of player that don't fit our 5 pillars.  The team isn't a million miles away, yet we are about to throw it all up in the air.

Perhaps I need to get back to work tomorrow for a fresh perspective.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The excellent interviews he's given up to recently, now look bizarre against today.

I don't know why I feel so strongly about the Taylor Moore loan deal, but it just seems to fly in the face of everything the club have been telling us about the young players brought in.  I think other youngsters will think twice when you look at Moore, Engvall, O'Dowda.

I understand the Johnny Smith / Diego type loan, but Taylor Moore has played a good few times now, and at Centre Back has looked up for it.

Maybe I'm being incredibly fickle, but I've been really behind Lee (despite being huge Cotts fan), but today's events, and I'm not really talking about the defeat, seem like I've been conned.  All of a sudden we seem to be after the types of player that don't fit our 5 pillars.  The team isn't a million miles away, yet we are about to throw it all up in the air.

Perhaps I need to get back to work tomorrow for a fresh perspective.

Thanks for mentioning work   urrrgh  the worst day of the year awaits !!

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He would've missed Ipswich then

But he played at Ipswich. 

May there is a delay in processing suspensions and given the Ipswich game was only 4 days after Wolves, the suspension did not apply until today's game?

I can't believe for one moment LJ would not have had him on the bench if available.

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Thanks for mentioning work   urrrgh  the worst day of the year awaits !!

PS I agree about Taylor Moore. This is the first thing that is making me have a few doubts.. the other maybe the Gustav mystery  .   have a good week back at work  take care

8 minutes ago, RightUpInCider said:

But he played at Ipswich. 

May there is a delay in processing suspensions and given the Ipswich game was only 4 days after Wolves, the suspension did not apply until today's game?

I can't believe for one moment LJ would not have had him on the bench if available.

Doesn't usually work like that, usually 'misses next game.  Can only assume some delay, e.g. EFL/FA on holiday.

Archived