IGNORED

Marlon Pack

DavidNoble

4 hours ago, NorfolkInChance said:

Spot on - we pressed on half a dozen occasions and it worked quite well.  The rest of the time we stood offor them and let them have it like they were ******* Barcelona - inept and embarrassing again....

Exactly. It was very embarrassing to watch. All down to LJ imo. Terrible tactis in the second half which is the reason we chucked away a 2 goal lead. Effing laughable.

Yet we were the HOME team playing Reading. Not away playing Barcelona. Inept cautious scared shitless bullshit.

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I saw a lot of things I liked today and a few I didn't. First off, the game plan was working. We didn't press until they were in our half(and until about 70th min). They had no answers and maybe one true chance up until they scored. 

Brownhill and Bryan I really like in midfield. Both strong enough and athletic enough. O'Dowda and Freeman had good games but I want to highlight O'Dowda. Good athlete and draws fouls. One of my wingers from now on. 

We really tired out which was part of the reason they got back in it. I have to say LJ really messed it up at the end putting players out of position and changing the formation. Individually I though most had a good game. Flint and Little were solid. Golbourne I think was good if not spectacular and Matthews did a job. 

I was most disappointed with our captain and holding midfielder Korey Smith. Didn't really notice him other than a few fouls and misplaced passes. Also Frank Fielding I think should've saved at least one of the goals. None in the corners and none hit particularly hard. Not good enough in the build up but keepers are asked to make saves when the defence breaks down. He needed to be better. Wilbraham added nothing when he came on. Not his fault he came on and I don't know why LJ expected of him but we weren't going to have much of the ball for him to hold up. Reid looked like he wasn't synced up with when to press and not to. Again not his fault the coach put him out of position but made no impact. 

Joe - According to Taylor-Moore the game plan was to press Reading early, high up the pitch

10 hours ago, samo II said:

Simple question;

If Pack and Moore were available, why was an untried left back and a striker who LJ seems utterly disinterested in playing under any circumstance in the bench instead?

Weirder than Matthews starting at centre back for me, and has more worry undertones tbh.

Great question.

It raises the supplementary question of quite how many players LJ has fallen out with - allegedly.

Still, by not playing Pack, it saved us the surprise of him being substituted off in the second half.

For all those saying he will go, don't forget that LJ gave him a new contract earlier in the season

Shortly before dropping him, substituting him repeatedly etc.. I think LJ is on one almighty rustle.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Great question.

It raises the supplementary question of quite how many players LJ has fallen out with - allegedly.

Still, by not playing Pack, it saved us the surprise of him being substituted off in the second half.

For all those saying he will go, don't forget that LJ gave him a new contract earlier in the season

Shortly before dropping him, substituting him repeatedly etc.. I think LJ is on one almighty rustle.

I don't ever expect the head coach/manager to explain every decision or choice he makes; I understand there are some things that we as fans do not see, or even should not see when it comes it comes to dealing with the squad.

But the move to load our bench with attacking options, and specifically pick an untried left back (who I am convinced LJ had no intention of playing) over a senior pro like Pack, and a regular first team sub in Moore, both of whom play in positions not covered by options in the match day squad, was as odd a decision as SC naming a five man bench twice last year.

The added fact the club indicated Moore would be loaned, but then sent him to commentate, AND LJ then saying he might not go on loan after all if it didn't "suit the club" was one of the oddest things about yesterday.  I can't get my head around it, and I worry it hints at a malaise that I was hoping (possibly against hope) that didn't exist in the squad.

I honestly fear for us against Fleetwood now; they are on an impressive run, and undoubtably will be buoyed by having moving in to the playoff positions yesterday, and being ten unbeaten.

In my eyes; we've already failed the first of my two 'acid tests' for LJ by failing to pick up a couple of points from Ipswich and Reading. The next was to move past Fleetwood first time of asking, and I'm not sure I'm at all confident we can do that now.  

If we do anything less than put that tie to bed first time of asking, I'm afraid I do not believe LJ has the 'right stuff' to continue heading up the 'project', and we will need to bring in someone to improve and instil confidence in what is an undoubtably promising, but currently mentally unfit squad.

8 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Joe - According to Taylor-Moore the game plan was to press Reading early, high up the pitch

We pressed up the pitch smartly but wasn't often due to their possession. We tried to pin them in on throw ins deep in their half and it paid off a few times. Also a few times we pressed well and made them pass back to keeper which gave Korey Smith a chance. 

When they worked it well, we dropped off until they(usually Moore or McShane) brought the ball passed the half way line. Even then we didn't press the CB but pressed when they received it on the wings as we were defending narrow. It was actually really nice to see everyone in sync and working together. Obviously a few changes made keeping that up the full 90 impossible. We allowed their CBs, especially McShane too much space the last 20 minutes and he'd walk the ball 20 yards into our half unchallenged to pick out a pass. It really broke us down a few times and we saw the result of switching off and not seeing out the 90. 

Hopefully that's a big learning experience for the lads and for a particular head coach. It was the perfect game plan for a team comfortable in possession. Of course I'd like to see us on the ball more but for a team like Reading who have more quality at most positions, it was a good set up. We aren't ready to play football with some of the top teams in this league yet and that in itself is showing that the club is learning. 

Archived