Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DavidNoble

Marlon Pack

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, smokey live said:

I heard that, really puzzled me. Said he needed experience for a game like today, but then said Kelly was on the bench because he was taller

I've been called a Happy Clapper  and I do really want Lee to get out of this ..   I'm just worried that there are more and more odd decisions being made  Taylor Moore out on loan?   This is a really, really weird time at the Gate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I've been called a Happy Clapper  and I do really want Lee to get out of this ..   I'm just worried that there are more and more odd decisions being made  Taylor Moore out on loan?   This is a really, really weird time at the Gate

Reminds me of the tail end of his Dad's spell, all sorts of fun and games, I wonder if sustained championship management is beyond LJ at present, he needs help  and Daddy ain't the person to give it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the main problem we have is that we do not have a settled side from one game to the next. This lack of consistency in selection and formation is killing us. We stayed up last year because LJ was not spoilt for choice and we generally played the same 11. Now he cannot decide who to play where as there is a much of a muchness about most of the players. These new players we seem to be going after appear to have good pedigree but that does depend on how LJ utilises them. On that question, I am sure people would be concerned given that LJ does not seem to know his players best positions.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The excellent interviews he's given up to recently, now look bizarre against today.

I don't know why I feel so strongly about the Taylor Moore loan deal, but it just seems to fly in the face of everything the club have been telling us about the young players brought in.  I think other youngsters will think twice when you look at Moore, Engvall, O'Dowda.

I understand the Johnny Smith / Diego type loan, but Taylor Moore has played a good few times now, and at Centre Back has looked up for it.

Maybe I'm being incredibly fickle, but I've been really behind Lee (despite being huge Cotts fan), but today's events, and I'm not really talking about the defeat, seem like I've been conned.  All of a sudden we seem to be after the types of player that don't fit our 5 pillars.  The team isn't a million miles away, yet we are about to throw it all up in the air.

Perhaps I need to get back to work tomorrow for a fresh perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RightUpInCider said:

Just double checked and Pack picked up his 5th booking of the season at Wolves so I think that would confirm he was suspended for today's game?

He would've missed Ipswich then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The excellent interviews he's given up to recently, now look bizarre against today.

I don't know why I feel so strongly about the Taylor Moore loan deal, but it just seems to fly in the face of everything the club have been telling us about the young players brought in.  I think other youngsters will think twice when you look at Moore, Engvall, O'Dowda.

I understand the Johnny Smith / Diego type loan, but Taylor Moore has played a good few times now, and at Centre Back has looked up for it.

Maybe I'm being incredibly fickle, but I've been really behind Lee (despite being huge Cotts fan), but today's events, and I'm not really talking about the defeat, seem like I've been conned.  All of a sudden we seem to be after the types of player that don't fit our 5 pillars.  The team isn't a million miles away, yet we are about to throw it all up in the air.

Perhaps I need to get back to work tomorrow for a fresh perspective.

Thanks for mentioning work   urrrgh  the worst day of the year awaits !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He would've missed Ipswich then

But he played at Ipswich. 

May there is a delay in processing suspensions and given the Ipswich game was only 4 days after Wolves, the suspension did not apply until today's game?

I can't believe for one moment LJ would not have had him on the bench if available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Thanks for mentioning work   urrrgh  the worst day of the year awaits !!

PS I agree about Taylor Moore. This is the first thing that is making me have a few doubts.. the other maybe the Gustav mystery  .   have a good week back at work  take care

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, hodge said:

Kelly was chosen over Moore on the bench due to his height apparently, was watching Pack and he took part in the shooting warm up.

 

Which is odd, if LJ has a height stipulation for CBs then why did we sign him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RightUpInCider said:

But he played at Ipswich. 

May there is a delay in processing suspensions and given the Ipswich game was only 4 days after Wolves, the suspension did not apply until today's game?

I can't believe for one moment LJ would not have had him on the bench if available.

Doesn't usually work like that, usually 'misses next game.  Can only assume some delay, e.g. EFL/FA on holiday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fiale said:

 

Which is odd, if LJ has a height stipulation for CBs then why did we sign him.

It was to counter a specific threat (Kermorgant you'd expect) if Matthews couldn't deal with the height.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NorfolkInChance said:

Spot on - we pressed on half a dozen occasions and it worked quite well.  The rest of the time we stood offor them and let them have it like they were ******* Barcelona - inept and embarrassing again....

Exactly. It was very embarrassing to watch. All down to LJ imo. Terrible tactis in the second half which is the reason we chucked away a 2 goal lead. Effing laughable.

Yet we were the HOME team playing Reading. Not away playing Barcelona. Inept cautious scared shitless bullshit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I saw a lot of things I liked today and a few I didn't. First off, the game plan was working. We didn't press until they were in our half(and until about 70th min). They had no answers and maybe one true chance up until they scored. 

Brownhill and Bryan I really like in midfield. Both strong enough and athletic enough. O'Dowda and Freeman had good games but I want to highlight O'Dowda. Good athlete and draws fouls. One of my wingers from now on. 

We really tired out which was part of the reason they got back in it. I have to say LJ really messed it up at the end putting players out of position and changing the formation. Individually I though most had a good game. Flint and Little were solid. Golbourne I think was good if not spectacular and Matthews did a job. 

I was most disappointed with our captain and holding midfielder Korey Smith. Didn't really notice him other than a few fouls and misplaced passes. Also Frank Fielding I think should've saved at least one of the goals. None in the corners and none hit particularly hard. Not good enough in the build up but keepers are asked to make saves when the defence breaks down. He needed to be better. Wilbraham added nothing when he came on. Not his fault he came on and I don't know why LJ expected of him but we weren't going to have much of the ball for him to hold up. Reid looked like he wasn't synced up with when to press and not to. Again not his fault the coach put him out of position but made no impact. 

Joe - According to Taylor-Moore the game plan was to press Reading early, high up the pitch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, RightUpInCider said:

Just double checked and Pack picked up his 5th booking of the season at Wolves so I think that would confirm he was suspended for today's game?

Havnt we passed the 5 cautions = Suspension date ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, samo II said:

Simple question;

If Pack and Moore were available, why was an untried left back and a striker who LJ seems utterly disinterested in playing under any circumstance in the bench instead?

Weirder than Matthews starting at centre back for me, and has more worry undertones tbh.

Great question.

It raises the supplementary question of quite how many players LJ has fallen out with - allegedly.

Still, by not playing Pack, it saved us the surprise of him being substituted off in the second half.

For all those saying he will go, don't forget that LJ gave him a new contract earlier in the season

Shortly before dropping him, substituting him repeatedly etc.. I think LJ is on one almighty rustle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Olé said:

Great question.

It raises the supplementary question of quite how many players LJ has fallen out with - allegedly.

Still, by not playing Pack, it saved us the surprise of him being substituted off in the second half.

For all those saying he will go, don't forget that LJ gave him a new contract earlier in the season

Shortly before dropping him, substituting him repeatedly etc.. I think LJ is on one almighty rustle.

I don't ever expect the head coach/manager to explain every decision or choice he makes; I understand there are some things that we as fans do not see, or even should not see when it comes it comes to dealing with the squad.

But the move to load our bench with attacking options, and specifically pick an untried left back (who I am convinced LJ had no intention of playing) over a senior pro like Pack, and a regular first team sub in Moore, both of whom play in positions not covered by options in the match day squad, was as odd a decision as SC naming a five man bench twice last year.

The added fact the club indicated Moore would be loaned, but then sent him to commentate, AND LJ then saying he might not go on loan after all if it didn't "suit the club" was one of the oddest things about yesterday.  I can't get my head around it, and I worry it hints at a malaise that I was hoping (possibly against hope) that didn't exist in the squad.

I honestly fear for us against Fleetwood now; they are on an impressive run, and undoubtably will be buoyed by having moving in to the playoff positions yesterday, and being ten unbeaten.

In my eyes; we've already failed the first of my two 'acid tests' for LJ by failing to pick up a couple of points from Ipswich and Reading. The next was to move past Fleetwood first time of asking, and I'm not sure I'm at all confident we can do that now.  

If we do anything less than put that tie to bed first time of asking, I'm afraid I do not believe LJ has the 'right stuff' to continue heading up the 'project', and we will need to bring in someone to improve and instil confidence in what is an undoubtably promising, but currently mentally unfit squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Joe - According to Taylor-Moore the game plan was to press Reading early, high up the pitch

We pressed up the pitch smartly but wasn't often due to their possession. We tried to pin them in on throw ins deep in their half and it paid off a few times. Also a few times we pressed well and made them pass back to keeper which gave Korey Smith a chance. 

When they worked it well, we dropped off until they(usually Moore or McShane) brought the ball passed the half way line. Even then we didn't press the CB but pressed when they received it on the wings as we were defending narrow. It was actually really nice to see everyone in sync and working together. Obviously a few changes made keeping that up the full 90 impossible. We allowed their CBs, especially McShane too much space the last 20 minutes and he'd walk the ball 20 yards into our half unchallenged to pick out a pass. It really broke us down a few times and we saw the result of switching off and not seeing out the 90. 

Hopefully that's a big learning experience for the lads and for a particular head coach. It was the perfect game plan for a team comfortable in possession. Of course I'd like to see us on the ball more but for a team like Reading who have more quality at most positions, it was a good set up. We aren't ready to play football with some of the top teams in this league yet and that in itself is showing that the club is learning. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...