IGNORED

Corners

Fatalist

I don't know if this has been said elsewhere, but with our new arrivals, we surely should expect some joy from corners. It is possible that we could put out a team including Duric, Abraham, Flint, Hegeler, Magnusson, Wright and Pack. Even Little is pretty tall, and Bryan jumps superbly. As a last resort we could send Lucic up as well! I can't remember such a tall side in all my 55 years of watching City.

Anyway, my point is that we have to utilise this height at corners. On Saturday, we seemed to put everyone on the same blade of grass and hope to outmuscle the Fleetwood defence. i would like to see our giants spread out. Duric at the near post for a flick on, Tammy in the 6 yard box for any loose balls, Flint beyond the far post, a couple of others near the penalty spot. Then we could vary delivery and stretch defences so there should always be someone tall without a tall marker.

Thoughts?

Agree. We've got some good dead ball players too. Ideally I would like to see us taking in-swinging driven corners aimed at the six yard box parallel with the penalty spot or far post.

We've got so much height in the team now that it doesn't really matter if the opposition know what we're going to do. If you get it right it can't be defended against with so many tall players who are good in the air. No need for us to do as many short corners. 

4 hours ago, Fatalist said:

I don't know if this has been said elsewhere, but with our new arrivals, we surely should expect some joy from corners. It is possible that we could put out a team including Duric, Abraham, Flint, Hegeler, Magnusson, Wright and Pack. Even Little is pretty tall, and Bryan jumps superbly. As a last resort we could send Lucic up as well! I can't remember such a tall side in all my 55 years of watching City.

Anyway, my point is that we have to utilise this height at corners. On Saturday, we seemed to put everyone on the same blade of grass and hope to outmuscle the Fleetwood defence. i would like to see our giants spread out. Duric at the near post for a flick on, Tammy in the 6 yard box for any loose balls, Flint beyond the far post, a couple of others near the penalty spot. Then we could vary delivery and stretch defences so there should always be someone tall without a tall marker.

Thoughts?

Oh come on, that sounds far too sensible, surely can't be in the tactical genius manual LJ has read thoroughly!

2 hours ago, Brooksie25 said:

A couple of seasons ago Freeman used to "whip" the corners in at pace which team struggled to defend, he doesn't seem to take them now!

But he is the go-to man to kill time if ever we are one goal up. A load of step overs and shimmys by the corner flag.  No cross mind.

3 hours ago, Brooksie25 said:

A couple of seasons ago Freeman used to "whip" the corners in at pace which team struggled to defend, he doesn't seem to take them now!

Yes. I remember one at Crawley.  Ayling ghosted in and scored the winner.

I'd like to see us try one like Birmingham did to us: flat and fast, head high to the near post for a flick-on. Caught us napping.

Yes the amount of times our free kicks haven't even got past the front post,  is frustrating.  

I don't get excited when we win a corner, just like with our throw ins that we have high up the pitch which always tend to go backwards unless magnusson or Matthews take them.  

12 hours ago, Fatalist said:

Thoughts?

yes all we need is someone to get the ball over

3 hours ago, miketh2nd said:

Yes the amount of times our free kicks haven't even got past the front post,  is frustrating.  

I don't get excited when we win a corner, just like with our throw ins that we have high up the pitch which always tend to go backwards unless magnusson or Matthews take them.  

I Agree not checked but  I suspect we have not scored from corners more than 20 in last 10 years

Archived