IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Cardiff City Match Day Thread

Monkeh

Good day everyone,

Well, we only have ourselves to blame; To all those who have a dislike for what the media have, in recent years, coined our 'Severnside' rivals it may come as something of a surprise to learn it was a Bristolian who founded what is now Cardiff City. Like many cricket clubs of the day a way of keeping fit was sought in the winter months and many turned to football. The Riverside Cricket Club of Cardiff was no exception and Bristol born Bartley Wilson formed a club in 1899 called Riverside AFC. His name has now been commemorated in a road that passes through the old Ninian Park. Redrow Homes named 'Bartley Wilson Way' after the founder of the club. But just who is this Bristolian?

Walter Bartley Wilson was born on January 3rd, 1870 in St. Mary Redcliffe. Twenty one years later he was orphaned and spent his informative years with his his Grandmother in Barossa Place. He trained as a lithographic artist. in 1894 he married and moved to Riverside, Cardiff. His passion was cricket and while he noticed that the two teams of Bristol had turned professional at the turn of the century Cardiff had no recognisable team at all so he formed one. Only after King Edward VII granted city status in 1905 could the club petition to change their name to Cardiff City which they duly did in 1910. Bartley Wilson, the poor guy, was born with a club foot! And while he did not competitively play for the club he did manage them for about 9 months from May 1933 winning 8 out of 28 matches. Wilson died in 1954 aged 84. A hero for Cardiffian's. 

Apart from this umbilical link to Bristol I had not readily accepted the two cities or the two teams as offering up the football world a 'derby' football game. I am not sure when the 'Severnside Derby' became common parlance but it is, to my mind, a neologism that is likely here to stay. 

The cauldron of the match takes on greater importance today because of many reasons.. we lost at the Homebase Depot, Neil W is their manager, we have fallen to their lowly position in the table and they will rise above us with a win. We have 36 wins to their 32 and they have been inexorably catching us in recent seasons. Aside from all the other reasons that are obvious. This gives Lee's team the perfect opportunity, the perfect match even, to turn our season around and rise back up to where we know we should and want to be. This may very well be our biggest crowd of the season not because it is Cardiff because, let us be blunt, they are not the biggest draw in the division, but because of the timing of the match. What more inspiration does our club need to win a game? I venture to say none.

I shall be gathered in some hostelry this evening to watch this match along with new converts to the Ashton Gate vision. Filipinos and Mancunians largely and if Phileas Fogg is around.. come and join us in Poblacion.

UTC.

25 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

Well, we only have ourselves to blame; To all those who have a dislike for what the media have, in recent years, coined our 'Severnside' rivals it may come as something of a surprise to learn it was a Bristolian who founded what is now Cardiff City. Like many cricket clubs of the day a way of keeping fit was sought in the winter months and many turned to football. The Riverside Cricket Club of Cardiff was no exception and Bristol born Bartley Wilson formed a club in 1899 called Riverside AFC. His name has now been commemorated in a road that passes through the old Ninian Park. Redrow Homes named 'Bartley Wilson Way' after the founder of the club. But just who is this Bristolian?

Walter Bartley Wilson was born on January 3rd, 1870 in St. Mary Redcliffe. Twenty one years later he was orphaned and spent his informative years with his his Grandmother in Barossa Place. He trained as a lithographic artist. in 1894 he married and moved to Riverside, Cardiff. His passion was cricket and while he noticed that the two teams of Bristol had turned professional at the turn of the century Cardiff had no recognisable team at all so he formed one. Only after King Edward VII granted city status in 1905 could the club petition to change their name to Cardiff City which they duly did in 1910. Bartley Wilson, the poor guy, was born with a club foot! And while he did not competitively play for the club he did manage them for about 9 months from May 1933 winning 8 out of 28 matches. Wilson died in 1954 aged 84. A hero for Cardiffian's. 

Apart from this umbilical link to Bristol I had not readily accepted the two cities or the two teams as offering up the football world a 'derby' football game. I am not sure when the 'Severnside Derby' became common parlance but it is, to my mind, a neologism that is likely here to stay. 

The cauldron of the match takes on greater importance today because of many reasons.. we lost at the Homebase Depot, Neil W is their manager, we have fallen to their lowly position in the table and they will rise above us with a win. We have 36 wins to their 32 and they have been inexorably catching us in recent seasons. Aside from all the other reasons that are obvious. This gives Lee's team the perfect opportunity, the perfect match even, to turn our season around and rise back up to where we know we should and want to be. This may very well be our biggest crowd of the season not because it is Cardiff because, let us be blunt, they are not the biggest draw in the division, but because of the timing of the match. What more inspiration does our club need to win a game? I venture to say none.

I shall be gathered in some hostelry this evening to watch this match along with new converts to the Ashton Gate vision. Filipinos and Mancunians largely and if Phileas Fogg is around.. come and join us in Poblacion.

UTC.

Excellent research as always Havana.

Neologism - word of the day. Never seen it used on OTIB before, and expect never to see it used again!

31 minutes ago, italian dave said:

You may not see the word used, but you will find evidence of it daily on otib. It's our forte. We are neologists.

Well that's bu99ered up my prediction in no time!  :)

Havanatopia thank you, typically your post provides both learning and pleasure. To save others the time: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/neologist

I have a sense we will win 2-1 and both teams will be awarded a penalty.

The 37th minute will be poignant.

Fancy too that our new loanee keeper will be unveiled.

CTID

50 minutes ago, RedM said:

A warm reception awaits us, right now there are 13 police vans at Ashton gate and the dogs are barking madly. Nice.

I don't care about police vans, is the Clarks Pie van there?

I think it's important we don't exaggerate the relevance of this game.  I can see City winning a scrappy 1-0 match, but am prepared for the worst case scenario.  Wouldn't be surprised to see a carbon copy of last weekend's 0-0 draw.

Be fantastic today if the new players all put in a superb performance and we do deliver Cardiff a punishing defeat.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I don't care about police vans, is the Clarks Pie van there?

Went missing against Reading - a bit like our defending. Got to hope it's back, along with a winning team on the pitch. It's the hope dashed, that hurts so much....

Archived