IGNORED

Who is available & would want it?

Big Red Rich

13 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Mike Phelan? Steve Clarke? If we're prepared to pay compensation and if he wanted to come South...Simon Grayson?

The first two are respected coaches, less impressive as managers. However fashionable it is to refer to managers as first team coaches the roles are not the same. Some people are just made to be assistants - think Jimmy Lumsden and Keith Millen in our case.

Very much with you on Grayson though, a man who knows how to organise a side and get them playing to a pattern and often above themselves.

But of course fans tend to want 'big names ', given the obsession with celebrity for it's own sake, so Grayson is unlikely to be 'sexy ' enough for many.

If we're speculating, and maybe throwing slightly more ambitious names in to the conversation, Roberto Di Matteo should 100% be part of it my eyes.

Yes; his Villa stint this year wasn't ideal, but don't think the new owners appreciated that in this league you can't simply throw money at a squad and expect instant results, and their results looked very bad in comparison to fellow relegated sides (at the time; Norwich now have slipped away).

Di Matteo has won promotion from this division, as well as accruing experience at lower league English teams, the very top of the premiership, and also in Europe.  Plus he's a relatively recent player with international and 'big league' games behind him who I can see players looking up to and respecting.

I imagine he'd be a very expensive addition, but has always struck me as keen for a challenge and not afraid to take 'unfashionable' jobs.

If we did need a new manager in the near future, I think he'd be the 'high-roller' choice for me.

29 minutes ago, chinapig said:

The first two are respected coaches, less impressive as managers. However fashionable it is to refer to managers as first team coaches the roles are not the same. Some people are just made to be assistants - think Jimmy Lumsden and Keith Millen in our case.

Very much with you on Grayson though, a man who knows how to organise a side and get them playing to a pattern and often above themselves.

But of course fans tend to want 'big names ', given the obsession with celebrity for it's own sake, so Grayson is unlikely to be 'sexy ' enough for many.

Preston would be mad to let Grayson go. I get the impression he`s not universally liked up there for his style of play (what manager is?) but reading what the PNE fans have to say on here he`s largely responsible for where they are now. He`s turned a lot of loans and free transfers into a stable championship side without spending any money and that must be worth it`s weight in gold to the club.

Most of the names suggested are the kind who expect total control, much like SC. They would not I suspect accept being just a member of a wider management team.

Which would lead me to look abroad in the hope of finding the next David Wagner.

Academic though as I doubt LJ would be sacked even if we go down. As with SOD it would be spun as all part of the master plan.:cool:

14 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Warnock is a short term planner who is happy to screw over a club in terms of long term development as long as he can get out quick enough so someone else can take the blame. It is no coincidence that the clubs he manage tend to struggle after he leaves.

Pearson for me is not the right manager for the club. Good manager but I suspect the wrong fit. And that matters - just look at Derby.

Rowett would be a continuity appointment. If you look at Birmingham message boards, the criticisms of him tended to be the same things LJ gets criticised more. Good option if we want a better version of the manager we have.

I agree Mick McCarthy could be a good appointment. Loyal, committed and experienced. The definition of the safe pair of hands. One thing I would say though is, if I recall, he's not done great when he has taken over clubs at risk of relegation.

Warnock is now a short term fire fighter. He did an impressive long term job at Sheffield United but his home town side I guess he would. Did good work at Palace 07-10 also, brought through youth.

16 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I've said elsewhere, go for Mick McCarthy. Wily, experienced, keeps Ipswich ticking over without big transfer funds. Might be boring to start with but he'd keep us up. 

I live in East Anglia and (until,this season) I  have watched a few Ipswich homes games each season for over 20 years.  The majority of Ipswich fans would willingly drive their car to Bristol to bring McCarthy to the job.  Very boring football.  How he got a few high finishes was always a mystery.  Gates have gone from over 20,000 to just above 15,000.  Now comes across as a bit demotivated and not too bothered what fans think.  He could keep a team up with his safety first approach but if you believe your ticket price entitles you to some entertainment, don't pick to watch his team.  

Wagner initially struggled last season but has managed to settle in this season with the players buying into his style of play. Would someone similar now have enough time to turn things around for us? I would be worried.

Stam is an interesting one. Opinionated and strong-willed (one of the few to ever stand up to Fergie), knows the importance of a strong defence (hence his frustration at going 2 down to us) plus hugely experienced as a player. More like a British manager than most I would suggest. Plus he picked up an underachieving team in the summer. Again it took a bit of time to come right for him as their early season form wasn't great.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Preston would be mad to let Grayson go. I get the impression he`s not universally liked up there for his style of play (what manager is?) but reading what the PNE fans have to say on here he`s largely responsible for where they are now. He`s turned a lot of loans and free transfers into a stable championship side without spending any money and that must be worth it`s weight in gold to the club.

There can be no doubt at all that the football under Grayson at times has been ' methodical and dull ' but this season we have seen a very different side with more pace , lovely blend of youth and experience and our recent performances against Arsenal and Brighton has genuinely got the people of Preston quite excited , he took over when we where in real danger of dropping into League Two and having spent less than 2 million to assemble this squad and some really great signings for a nominal amount - Robinson , Cunningham , Clarke , Maxwell, Hugill etc  I think he must be one of the most under rated managers in this division , jobs come up and he rarely if ever gets mentioned , but with the 3rd lowest budget in the division he has us sat comfortably in mid table and playing the best football seen at Deepdale for years , had we not lost six of our opening eight games we would be real play offs contenders and his biggest attributes seem to be a real ability to manage players , find real gems for little or no money and play to this teams strengths , I really hope Bristol City turn the table soon and that Grayson stays at Preston as the transformation in the last four years has been staggering ..... Mortis

Johnson's failure is inevitable.... he is plucked from a midtable side in League 1 and asked to manage in the Championship, in which he has no experience. He is way out of his depth and our run at the end of last season owed much to a tightening of the formation and some very good January deals. I think most of this was done before he jetted in. I know that SC was already after Tomlin.  Yes, LJ takes the credit for that revival...but I think we are now seeing the real LJ and he is not getting the best out of a very talented squad on paper. I cannot recall a team of this calibre - at least on paper. I have seen all home games and most away this season and LJ has changed the team on a game by game basis. We have changed the formation so frequently that he has obviously been trying them out on Football Manager. The guy is clueless and I cannot understand why the so called "football people" above cannot see it. You live or die by your selections and he has made some truly awful decisions:

1. Playing Adam Matthews at CB when we have the English Youth Captain in the stands doing commentary!

2. Playing Calum O'Dowda as the number 10 when we have Tomlin, Reid and Paterson twiddling their thumbs.....

3. Not playing Engvall ( yes, 2.5 million Engvall)

I could go on but it becomes too depressing.....I think LJ has lost the players. More of a fight was put up by SC's team who were vastly inferior to the current crop. If only SC had been given 15 million to spend.....We had 8 million quid sitting on the bench yesterday.... enough is enough of this joker.  

We needed an experienced manager not rookies. The board fail time and time again. Their DNA is going to be extinct pretty soon and back to League One we go..... If you ask me some of the names being thrown around are no better than LJ. I think we would need candidates of the following calibre:

1. Mick McCarthy (has a great record and is doing wonders at a bang average team with no money or resources. What could he do with our lot I wonder). He also has Terry Connor who knows the club. Ipswich fans should be grateful to have him. He is a class and proven manager at this level).

2. Mark Wharburton (done a great job at Brentford and Rangers... surely would jump at the chance to come back to English football).

3. Chris Coleman (he was at the Gate yesterday and I sat next to him! Done a good job with Fulham and Wales. Has experience of the Premier League).

4. Michael O'Neill (Great job with Northern Ireland and use to working in lower leagues. Has champions league experience in Ireland).

5. Roy Hodgson (No doubting his pedigree. Could he be tempted back to City for one last hurrah - maybe).

The point is that these are the calibre of managers we should be after - not untested, inexperienced managers. OK, there may be some occasions where the untested manager comes off but we don't exactly have a track record of finding them... do we? Any of these would be an improvement on LJ. I suspect all would work within our current structure..... I personally would go for Mick as the Ipswich fans want him out and we may offer him the carrot and better opportunities for another crack at the PL

I do think the next route we will go down will be a manager/head coach from abroad. Would probably make sense to look at Germany as appears is a very good market for decent players at the moment. I would suggest torsten lieberknecht who has a great record in the German second division and is also friends with klopp.

14 hours ago, Harry said:

Depends what you want.
Do you want a manager who has experience of managing in the Championship.  If so, then your list of candidates reads like this :

Roberto Di Matteo, Mark Robins, Keith Hill, Alex McLeish, Lee Clark, Gary Rowett, MIchael Appleton, Paul Ince, Dougie Freedman, Sami Hyppia, Dave Jones, Malky Mackay, Alan Pardew, Phil Parkinson, Chris Powell, Chris Coleman, Aidy Boothroyd, George Burley, Phil Brown, Billy Davies, Paul Jewell, Nigel Pearson, Roy Keane, Kevin Blackwell, Brian McDermott, Neil Redfearn, Uwe Rosler, Nigel Worthington, Gary Megson, Tony Mowbray, Kenny Jackett, Karl Robinson, Colin Calderwood, Stuart Pearce, Darren Ferguson, John Gregory, Jimmy Floyd-Hasselbaink, Nigel Adkins, Steve Clarke, Stuart Gray, Gary Caldwell, Glenn Hoddle, Dean Saunders.

Alternatively, do you take a chance on someone with no managerial experience at this level, but could be seen as a promising lower league manager, or untried?  In this list you'll find :

Paul Tisdale, Gareth Ainsworth, Neil Ardley, Graham Alexander, Chris Wilder, Ryan Giggs.

Do you go foreign :

Andreas Alm, Stuart Baxter, Bob Bradley, Stephane Moulin, Graham Potter, Jess Thorup, Andrea Loberto.

There's not a great deal out there that excites me to be honest.  If anyone, I'd be keen on Rowett, McDermott, Rosler, Gray, Tisdale?

Agree again Rosler, Steve Clarke or Jimmy Floyd for me.

One thing I will say carrying on from your excellent post of last night, I think the right man who can organise the midfield especially and drill the defence, if successful in keeping us up should have a easier/brighter future going forward than most jobs going forward and LJ should take a lot of credit for that, I think his coaching and tactics might end up being his downfall.

Finally I also do not believe that we should be frightened of coaching changes for the first team either, if any replacement wants new first team coaches then I think that's an entitlement.

Forest apparently want Oscar Garcia, who took Brighton into the Championship play offs in his only season in English football (had a few weeks at Watford but curtailed by health scare). Former Barcelona youth team coach. Currently fighting for the title in Austria with Red Bull Salzburg having led them to a league and cup double last season. Bags of trophies as a player. Forest are a basket case of a football club but looks like they know what a manager looks like.

Let's hope he's not in place this week, or even better, is somewhere on a list of profiles Mark Ashton is assessing already for contingency.

Middlesbrough took a punt on Mourinho's mate, Karanka. Huddersfield on Klopp's buddy, er, the German bloke now pulling up trees at Huddersfield. Wagner, that's him.

How about we call up Conte and ask if he can recommend anyone (looking for a Numero Uno position in the 5th richest league in the mondo)?

I agree with all the sentiments that it's time city splashed the cash for a tried and tested manager/head coach. The manager is the most important part of any football club in my book.

I just hope we don't go down the Michael Appleton route that saw him bookies favourite last time. I believe he's a good mate of Mark Ashton's. 

On 14 January 2017 at 17:44, Big Red Rich said:

Assuming sense prevails and LJ is relieved of his duties the 2 names mentioned most are Pearson & Rowett. But who else is there that we would look at? Perhaps someone already employed? One thing for certain and that's we can't have anymore "up & coming" managers, this one has got to be right. 

My choice would stay the same as it was before appointing little Lee.

Nigel Pearson. The guys got loads of experience at this level and imho could comfortably take a group of players with this level of quality to a play off spot next season.

Act now Sir Steve.

On 15/01/2017 at 07:33, Olé said:

For what it's worth I had watched Marco Silva (now Hull manager) as a player and then as a manager on different holidays to Portugal as the club he was at is just down the road from where I grew up, and what he did as manager was nothing short of incredible, and he then went on to validate his ability with big clubs in Portugal and Greece, without getting anything like the credit that he deserved. Mourinho #2.

If we can spend all this money on players he would have been an absolutely outstanding manager, his record is far better and more impressive than Carvahal who went to Wednesday and took them into the Playoffs. Hull, even if they don't stay up, have got an absolute steal. I realise LJ is going nowhere but it's just insane that we spend all this money on players and yet go 'last puppy in the shop' on manager.

Just saying like.....

Archived