IGNORED

Who is available & would want it?

Big Red Rich

After yesterday I'm more certain than ever that we need a change. I was in the upper west stand (which is a great view by the way) and from up there you could just see the lack of confidence. The lack of movement in the midfield was glaring, and we are so slow on the break it's frightening. The better teams at this level spring forward at pace and in numbers... we are ponderous and always turn back towards our own goal waiting for support. Why doesn't that support arrive quicker? That's been happening for months now. 

I really believe that we have the players now to be doing so much better than we are. Apart from glaring weaknesses at full back we have a good squad of players, but LJ has no idea how to use them. He still has no idea what his best team or formation is. I really like the idea of someone like Grayson, if he'd take it. He gets the best out of what he's got. LJ palpably does not. 

Let's put it this way if SL does ever pull the trigger and LJ goes, I can't see LJ getting another manager's post any time soon. This was his one chance at this level (let's be honest, no one else would have employed him in the Championship based on his previous record) and he has blown it because he was too inexperienced.

We desperately need someone who actually has achieved something as a manager, doesn't over complicate things, and gets the best out of the best squad of players we have had for years. Not too much to ask surely...

5 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

God I hope not. #carefulwhatuwish4

Why do you hope not? You said on another thread he 'manipulated the press against his employers' - how do you know that? He left Brentford because he didn't believe in the Moneyball mathematical system that their owner wanted to instil - but Warburton still took The Bees to the championship play offs - not good enough for you?

23 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why do you hope not? You said on another thread he 'manipulated the press against his employers' - how do you know that? He left Brentford because he didn't believe in the Moneyball mathematical system that their owner wanted to instil - but Warburton still took The Bees to the championship play offs - not good enough for you?

His impending departure from Brentford was leaked to the press. That much is well documented and in little dispute.

If you look at the timing of that leak and Brentford's league position at the time, along with the reaction of the club, it seems unlikely that Brentford leaked it or would choose to have it unsettle the side as they were on the fringe in playoffs/promotion.

I don't believe the moneyball spin.  He left there because he, with his buddy McParland, wanted full control over signings.  The bloke who owns Brentford wasn't having that but was painted as the villain in the press.

The Rangers experience would seem to suggest that his reluctance to bin his strategy and give Warburton full say on transfers was well placed.  Brentford seem to be doing somewhat better on player recruitment than Warburton since he left. QED.

In answer to your question, the league position would be good enough for me. However, when a manager isn't particularly loyal (also well documented about Warburton) i wouldn't want my club solely reliant on him.

It's a no from me.

5 hours ago, Rednwhiterob said:

His impending departure from Brentford was leaked to the press. That much is well documented and in little dispute.

If you look at the timing of that leak and Brentford's league position at the time, along with the reaction of the club, it seems unlikely that Brentford leaked it or would choose to have it unsettle the side as they were on the fringe in playoffs/promotion.

I don't believe the moneyball spin.  He left there because he, with his buddy McParland, wanted full control over signings.  The bloke who owns Brentford wasn't having that but was painted as the villain in the press.

The Rangers experience would seem to suggest that his reluctance to bin his strategy and give Warburton full say on transfers was well placed.  Brentford seem to be doing somewhat better on player recruitment than Warburton since he left. QED.

In answer to your question, the league position would be good enough for me. However, when a manager isn't particularly loyal (also well documented about Warburton) i wouldn't want my club solely reliant on him.

It's a no from me.

What manager wouldn't want control over signings? That's hardly a trait to use to criticise Warburton. I don't remember anyone criticising Sir Alex Ferguson for demanding the same. And you say Brentford's recruitment has improved since Warburton left for Rangers. Well, he signed Andre Gray for Brentford whilst he was manager, so your argument doesn't really stack up there.

Brentford's change in philosophy was allegedly leaked to the press by one individual (i.e. their impending adoption of the Moneyball system) - it wasn't Warburton's departure that was leaked. And there's no evidence Warburton was involved in the leak.

And Warburton launched an impassioned defence of Brentford's owner in the media whenever questioned at that time, commending his contribution to Brentford at every opportunity. I can't see how that is 'manipulating the press against his employers' as you say. Not sure how you can say he isn't 'particularly loyal' either - not sure what you mean by that, or how it is 'well documented'?

One good example of him being loyal is when he was sporting director at Brentford (when Uwe Rosler was manager) and West Bromwich Albion offered him a similar role at the Hawthorns. He turned it down, saying he "simply couldn't walk away from Brentford and what they were trying to achieve." No real sign of disloyalty there - turning down a better job to continue his work with The Bees.

It's a yes from me...

On 15/01/2017 at 12:06, JASETHEACE said:

I do think the next route we will go down will be a manager/head coach from abroad. Would probably make sense to look at Germany as appears is a very good market for decent players at the moment. I would suggest torsten lieberknecht who has a great record in the German second division and is also friends with klopp.

Brilliant shout with Lieberknecht! Must admit I'm not too familiar with his work but a quick check of his stats and he seems to fit. I personally know that Jokanovic wanted the city job desperately around the mcinnes era. He could've proved fantastic but again could've been too soon. Also the crop of players were rather poor.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What manager wouldn't want control over signings? That's hardly a trait to use to criticise Warburton. I don't remember anyone criticising Sir Alex Ferguson for demanding the same. And you say Brentford's recruitment has improved since Warburton left for Rangers. Well, he signed Andre Gray for Brentford whilst he was manager, so your argument doesn't really stack up there.

Brentford's change in philosophy was allegedly leaked to the press by one individual (i.e. their impending adoption of the Moneyball system) - it wasn't Warburton's departure that was leaked. And there's no evidence Warburton was involved in the leak.

And Warburton launched an impassioned defence of Brentford's owner in the media whenever questioned at that time, commending his contribution to Brentford at every opportunity. I can't see how that is 'manipulating the press against his employers' as you say. Not sure how you can say he isn't 'particularly loyal' either - not sure what you mean by that, or how it is 'well documented'?

One good example of him being loyal is when he was sporting director at Brentford (when Uwe Rosler was manager) and West Bromwich Albion offered him a similar role at the Hawthorns. He turned it down, saying he "simply couldn't walk away from Brentford and what they were trying to achieve." No real sign of disloyalty there - turning down a better job to continue his work with The Bees.

It's a yes from me...

Your argument somewhat proves my point.  You believe that version of events if you want.  My understanding is very different.

4 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Your argument somewhat proves my point.  You believe that version of events if you want.  My understanding is very different.

My argument doesn't prove your point at all.

For example, you say he's notoriously disloyal but he turned down a better job to stay at Brentford. That is a fact, not speculation. So you were wrong. You said he wasn't good at recruitment, yet he signed Andre Gray etc etc.

Still, probably best to just move on and not continue a discussion when we won't agree on anything. Cheers though!

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

My argument doesn't prove your point at all.

For example, you say he's notoriously disloyal but he turned down a better job to stay at Brentford. That is a fact, not speculation. So you were wrong.

Still, probably best to just move on and not continue a discussion when we won't agree on anything. Cheers though!

Yes. But he also went for the Norwich job whilst at Brentford.  That's also fact.

Anyway, agree....enough chat about him, we've got some northerners to beat today.  You Reds!!

4 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Yes. But he also went for the Norwich job whilst at Brentford.  That's also fact.

Anyway, agree....enough chat about him, we've got some northerners to beat today.  You Reds!!

My last post on this! (Probably!) I thought he was linked to Norwich whilst at Rangers...nothing too disloyal about that. 

11 hours ago, brizzlelou said:

Brilliant shout with Lieberknecht! Must admit I'm not too familiar with his work but a quick check of his stats and he seems to fit. I personally know that Jokanovic wanted the city job desperately around the mcinnes era. He could've proved fantastic but again could've been too soon. Also the crop of players were rather poor.

I think could be worth city looking at as I think could be a good fit and I personally would not replace Lee with any of the English managers that have been mentioned up to now.

Archived