IGNORED

Racism in 21st Century Football

HSFDK45

Good Afternoon Everyone, 

I am an undergraduate student at a UK based university who is researching racism in 21st century football.  I am interested in what Bristol City fans thought about the issue. If you could take a few minutes of your time to fill in my survey, I would greatly appreciate it! 

https://lboro.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/racism-in-21st-century-football 

All the best for the rest of the season! 

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Have filled out.  Good luck with it.

To be honest, I very much hope I misheard something someone in the South Stand shouted at Kadeem Harris at the Cardiff game last week.  I certainly think it is far less prevalent than it once was though.

Thanks LondonBristolian, your responses will be hugely appreciated. 

8 hours ago, HSFDK45 said:

Good Afternoon Everyone, 

I am an undergraduate student at a UK based university who is researching racism in 21st century football.  I am interested in what Bristol City fans thought about the issue. If you could take a few minutes of your time to fill in my survey, I would greatly appreciate it! 

https://lboro.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/racism-in-21st-century-football 

All the best for the rest of the season! 

With respect...instead of doing a survey, I suggest you take every opportunity you can, to travel the rest of the world.

Without giving too much away, you will realise, that we are the least racist country in the world, and that it is only the media and people with agenda's that tell you we have a problem.

Hope that doesn't come across as pompous, but when I see so much in this country about racism, I can't help but think,,,'blimey...you should visit there....'.

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

With respect...instead of doing a survey, I suggest you take every opportunity you can, to travel the rest of the world.

Without giving too much away, you will realise, that we are the least racist country in the world, and that it is only the media and people with agenda's that tell you we have a problem.

Hope that doesn't come across as pompous, but when I see so much in this country about racism, I can't help but think,,,'blimey...you should visit there....'.

'blimey' love the word you could have said strike a light ? but you are right we apart a very small minority (I hope) are far less racist than other countries

11 hours ago, spudski said:

Thanks spudski. I appreciate your input and would be great to hear your views in the survey. Part of the aims of the research are to view Britain in comparison to the rest of the world so that comment will be taken on board. All the best! 

12 hours ago, spudski said:

South Africa - went there last year to visit a mate who now works in Cape Town. The casual racism out there is insane...and CT is one of the nicer spots I'm told.

12 hours ago, spudski said:

So because other countries are more racist than we are, it's ok when people experience racism?

I certainly agree that the situation regarding racism in society is worse in many other countries than it is in ours, but it does still exist here and should still be challenged and fought wherever it occurs

Survey done

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

@HSFDK45 Survey done - however as you didn't provide a definition I used my own interpretation of what "Racism" is when deciding whether or not I'd witnessed it.

This is the legal definition for the UK; 

"An offence will be racially or religiously aggravated if: a) at the time of the offence (or shortly before or after), the offender demonstrates to the victim hostility based on the victim's membership (or presumed membership) of a racial or religious group"

Further to that, racial group is defined as; "A racial group means a group of persons defined by reference to race, colour, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origins."

You may (or may not) disagree with the definition, but I think this countries legal definition of racism is probably the best place to start

42 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

This is the legal definition for the UK; 

"An offence will be racially or religiously aggravated if: a) at the time of the offence (or shortly before or after), the offender demonstrates to the victim hostility based on the victim's membership (or presumed membership) of a racial or religious group"

Further to that, racial group is defined as; "A racial group means a group of persons defined by reference to race, colour, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origins."

You may (or may not) disagree with the definition, but I think this countries legal definition of racism is probably the best place to start

Yep. I know that definition and agree with it. My point was more that the surveyor should have set that out at the beginning of the survey. Answers will be influenced by people's individual definition.

16 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yep. I know that definition and agree with it. My point was more that the surveyor should have set that out at the beginning of the survey. Answers will be influenced by people's individual definition.

I agree. The legal definition should really be signposted in the survey to stop people making their own decisions on what racism is

5 hours ago, chipdawg said:

So because other countries are more racist than we are, it's ok when people experience racism?

I certainly agree that the situation regarding racism in society is worse in many other countries than it is in ours, but it does still exist here and should still be challenged and fought wherever it occurs

Survey done

Of course it's not ok...but you have to get realistic. You are not going to get 100% of people acting in a 'respectable' way. It's futile. I've actually seen more reverse racism of late than the other way...but I thought to myself, 'why get offended'...it's their prerogative.

Everyone in life gets 'offended' these days...it can be for anything.

We've moved on from how it used to be in this Country.

I really don't see the need for so many 'special day's' for racism and homophobia, which seem so common.

We as British people are used to multi culturalism and different 'genders'...it's in our lives every day. We've got used to it and accepted it.

It's only a small minority that voice disapproval, and a majority of media and 'organisations with an agenda that keep bringing it to a fore.

If they stop talking about it, it will go away.

20 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

With respect mate I think history has shown us that if we "stop talking about it" the problem gets worse rather than goes away.  

Well I don't know one person that's homophobic or racist...but I know lots who have said...'I wish they wouldn't keep making it an issue, as it's now starting to irk and make me feel differently'.

People are fine...it's not until it's constantly in your face, and you're being told what to do and say, that it gets peoples backs up.

I've seen perfectly rational people 'turn', because they are fed up with being told what to say or think. Not because they are racist or homophobic, but because of the constant talk about it. They don't become racist or homophobic, but they are now less tolerant to listening about such issues.

Archived