IGNORED

Spurs' new ground (merged)

lenred

I'm sure when finished it'll be a stadium to be proud of - I quite like the design and that big home end.

I just wish SL had gone for it to redevelop the whole of Ashton Gate to 35k as he said he'd considered doing but decided against. The Atyeo lets AG down a bit now and looks unfinished.  Understand the economics but the stadium could've been even better. 

Mind you, easy when it's not my money.

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

All very well until the next Spurs manager decides to get the size of the pitch reduced to suit his style of football.

With our narrower pitch this season I feel notably further back from the action at AG in the Lower Dolman than I did previously, and the Lansdown side seems to have a lot of space before the pitch starts, partly due to the the modern necessity for 'technical areas.'

Spurs already play with a very small pitch, hence the problems early on at Wembley, which has a huge pitch. 

7 hours ago, 054123 said:

I've been following city for 20 plus years and can honestly say that it's has never just been about a 90 minute game.

in fact we used to joke that Saturdays were brilliant apart from the 90minutes of football we had to watch. Even then it was rarely 90!

I really don't know what you mean

Top marks for quoting me over a year ago, you must be exciting

cant remember what this was about, but i expect i didnt mean it as though over here is just about the 90 mins and nothing after (i even prefer the pub before and after the game than the game in itself) was most likely arguing against “everything american is crap and shouldnt enter our game” argument from some gimps, maybe even yourself...

speak again next year, mate.

On 16/02/2018 at 16:51, pillred said:

apart from the atyeo end, it now really lets the whole look down in my opinion, are we really not ever able to improve it. maybe blend it in a bit better.

I like it as it is and hope it stays that way. I’d hate a complete bowl. Our little stadium has class but still a bit of heritage and character. 

9 minutes ago, pillred said:

I don't know of many square bowls.

St Mary's is one. Devoid of character entirely. If/when the Atyeo is redeveloped it'd be nice to see a massive home end rather than just connecting it up with the Dolman.

On 16/02/2018 at 15:14, ZiderEyed said:

What an absolute monstrosity.

Imagine I'm in a minority but I hate round, bowl stadiums. I like the stands to be parallel to the pitch. So much more attractive than GENERIC BOWL 5.

The Riverside is a generic bowl. This is anything but. I think it’s going to be a terrific stadium.

1 minute ago, ZiderEyed said:

St Mary's is one. Devoid of character entirely. If/when the Atyeo is redeveloped it'd be nice to see a massive home end rather than just connecting it up with the Dolman.

It's funny I used to sit in the atyeo when it was first opened and thought it was  brilliant compared to what I had been used to, looking at it now it definitely looks the poor relation, guess we have been spoiled lately with the redevelopment and facilities.

3 hours ago, Mr Hankey said:

Top marks for quoting me over a year ago, you must be exciting

cant remember what this was about, but i expect i didnt mean it as though over here is just about the 90 mins and nothing after (i even prefer the pub before and after the game than the game in itself) was most likely arguing against “everything american is crap and shouldnt enter our game” argument from some gimps, maybe even yourself...

speak again next year, mate.

It's a date. Thanks for the marks.

Sorry I upset you.

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

I go down to St Marys occasionally (most recently last Sunday, when they were as useful as an inflatable dartboard). There are positives with St Marys inasmuch as it makes the absolutely very best use of a very limited footprint. It's a bowl... so what? Frankly the only things that concern me when I'm watching a game include stuff like comfort and a good view of the action. The fact it's a uniform bowl doesn't bother me in any way, shape or form.

4 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I go down to St Marys occasionally (most recently last Sunday, when they were as useful as an inflatable dartboard). There are positives with St Marys inasmuch as it makes the absolutely very best use of a very limited footprint. It's a bowl... so what? Frankly the only things that concern me when I'm watching a game include stuff like comfort and a good view of the action. The fact it's a uniform bowl doesn't bother me in any way, shape or form.

Suppose it's just a bit disappointing aesthetically is all, give me the Kop, the Holte End or even the old East End over the new curved lark. Still not entirely sold on the corners of AG if I'm honest.

It makes very little difference and it's not going to stop me from going, just a question of comparing the architecture of different stadia.

14 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Suppose it's just a bit disappointing aesthetically is all, give me the Kop, the Holte End or even the old East End over the new curved lark. Still not entirely sold on the corners of AG if I'm honest.

It makes very little difference and it's not going to stop me from going, just a question of comparing the architecture of different stadia.

mostly favourable reviews on here

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/st-marys-stadium-southampton.html#areviews

On 20/01/2017 at 16:00, JHAGa said:

I read there is supposed to be a 17k one-tierred home end that is inspired by the Dortmund yellow wall. Hopefully they stick to their word and don't fill it with corporates/families.

In all likelihood though, it'll probably end up being a rubbish atmosphere like the Emirates/Olympic Stadium.

Looks like it will be the 17k single tier stand they’ve promised. That would be the stand on the right of the picture. Does make it look ‘off’ and perhaps an irritant for the OCD sort.

B16549FB-FA45-4517-B8F7-E58781964235.jpeg

On 1/20/2017 at 12:49, lenred said:

Includes a micro brewery, artisan bakery, Michelin star dining and a cheese room. Could you imagine the uproar on this forum if that was the case here!  On a serious note though, it just shows how football at the top end is changing rapidly (for better or worse depending on your point of view) and becoming an all day 'experience' as opposed to just a 90 min visit, and reiterates how bloody lucky we are to have SL's investment in our upgraded Ashton Gate. 

I don't think many City fans of my generation would have a problem with a Cheese Room. :) 

Archived